TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
jpurvis00

Can't get a cablecard from TWC

Hey guys, I can't seem to get a cablecard from TWC. I went to the local office and they told me that they had them at the warehouse and could only send out a technician to install it. I then called TWC and asked them to send me one on 11/7. The lady said no problem and it would be out in 2-3 business days. I called on 11/14 as I still hadn't received one. That person told me it should be there on 11/18. Still no card. I called today, 11/20 and the guy told me that cablecard mail delivery to my area is not available. I live in the Richmond KY area. What do I need to do here? Thanks.
jpurvis00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Sounds like a complaint to the FCC is in order. They are supposed to have cable cards for self-install if they have other set-top boxes available for self-install.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Sounds like a complaint to the FCC is in order. They are supposed to have cable cards for self-install if they have other set-top boxes available for self-install.
That limitation was only in effect for 3 months. As of 11/1/2011, all cable operators must allow self-install of CableCARDs under all circumstances, even if they don't allow self-installs of their STBs.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That limitation was only in effect for 3 months. As of 11/1/2011, all cable operators must allow self-install of CableCARDs under all circumstances, even if they don't allow self-installs of their STBs.
Even better. Thanks. I forgot about that bit.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i ran into the same situation with comcast in al. i went ahead and scheduled the installation with the tech, and filed a complaint with the fcc before he arrived. he gave me the card, i put it into tivo, he made a phone call, and it was done - no wonder cable bills are so expensive.

if you wait for compliance from the cable co, it might be a few years, if ever. they'll probably just get an advisory letter...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Shortly after that FCC rule was put into effect I found out that CableOne in Gulfport, Ms was issuing out multi-stream cards. I decided I should trade in the two single-stream cards for one multi-stream on each of my Tivo HD's. When I called the lady I talked to wanted to schedule the truck roll and I told her she could not force a truck roll on since they were required to support customer installs. She tried to tell me that wouldn't go into effect for another year. I told her she was wrong, the year delay was only for certain companies and that CableOne didn't fit that category. I told her I was looking at a printed copy of the FCC rule while talking to her and was prepared to file a formal complaint with the FCC if she continued with the forced truck roll. She put me on hold to "talk to her supervisor", and then came back a couple minutes later and told I could stop by their office and trade my single stream cards for 1/2 the quantity in multi-stream cards.

I stuck to my guns, let them know in plain english that I had read the FCC rules and wasn't going to succumb to their insistance for a truck roll. From what I hear from other customers in the local area they've gotten much better about it. When I got my Roamio I made one call to verify things and dropped by their office the next day to pick up a multi-stream card for it. Easy as could be.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
jpurvis00

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. Guess I'll roll back to my local office and talk with them again.
jpurvis00 is offline   Reply With Quote