TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
caslu

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Well - S01E08 - OAD 11/19/13

Like many, I haven't felt this series was really living up to its potential but IMHO this was the best episode since the pilot... in fact, I probably liked it even more than the pilot.

Lots of action, an interesting plot, sufficient character development and a not too clumsy tie-in with the movies. It was all well balanced and nicely done, so more like this please.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

And if I'm not mistaken, a Dollhouse call back at the end. "did I fall asleep?"
Old 11-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
Like many, I haven't felt this series was really living up to its potential but IMHO this was the best episode since the pilot... in fact, I probably liked it even more than the pilot. Lots of action, an interesting plot, sufficient character development and a not too clumsy tie-in with the movies. It was all well balanced and nicely done, so more like this please.
I think I agree. =)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The quality of the show has steadily increased, and my expectations have steadily decreased, to the point where they've pretty much met in the middle and I can enjoy it with minimal sighs over what it could have been.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

That last scene was a surprise, given the tone of the series so far. It might evolve into a more serious drama.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The quality of the show has steadily increased, and my expectations have steadily decreased, to the point where they've pretty much met in the middle and I can enjoy it with minimal sighs over what it could have been.
I think I'm right with you. After the first two eps I thought it was pretty stupid, didn't watch for several weeks, then I caught up in a marathon session last weekend and now I kind of like it.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

I like it but I went in with the expectation that it wasn't going to be about the Avengers every week.

I'm seeing the characters develop and I liked Peter MacNicol as an Asgardian.
And the women mooning over Thor.

[Ben Grimm]
Thor?
Oh boy.
The Fabio of the superhero set
[/Ben Grimm]

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Yet the ratings have steadily decreased. I'll be interested to see what they are this week. I'm expecting them to level off soon, but not so far.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
caslu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I was wracking my brains trying to figure out where I'd heard that before... thanks!
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think that saying that this weeks episode had a tie in to the Thor movie, then that tie in just being a 2 minute scene of people looking at mangled metal was a little weak.

Overall I thought it was one of the best episodes yet.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I think that saying that this weeks episode had a tie in to the Thor movie, then that tie in just being a 2 minute scene of people looking at mangled metal was a little weak.
Well, that and the fact that there was an Asgardian god, and the plot revolved around Asgardian "technology"...

I like that they're tying it in more tightly with the movie world, but their brief has always been "ordinary people in an extraordinary world," and I think they're striking a pretty good balance right now.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Plus, let's face it, not all the SHIELD viewers have seen the new movie. They don't want to tie the episode *too* tightly to the movie, and risk people being confused if they haven't seen the movie yet.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Ereth

Quote:
As soon as he said that, I just KNEW she was going to say "For a little while". I'm in the tiny percentage who loved Dollhouse, so it was quite a treat.

I was disappointed there wasn't a better movie tie-in, though.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
FrodoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Plus, let's face it, not all the SHIELD viewers have seen the new movie. They don't want to tie the episode *too* tightly to the movie, and risk people being confused if they haven't seen the movie yet.
We haven't yet seen Thor 2. Sounds like not having seen it, we'd be okay to watch the episode from a lack of confusion standpoint, but would people generally recommend seeing Thor 2 (which is a given for us; we just haven't done it yet) before watching this ep?
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
We haven't yet seen Thor 2. Sounds like not having seen it, we'd be okay to watch the episode from a lack of confusion standpoint, but would people generally recommend seeing Thor 2 (which is a given for us; we just haven't done it yet) before watching this ep?
Doesn't really matter one way or the other. It follows more from Avengers, but even there all you need to know is what they explain...that there was an alien invasion that left a mess behind it.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
There's one tiny clip, but it's in the Thor 2 previews, too. And the fact that at least some of Thor 2 occurs in London is mentioned.

But, really, no. The only true tie to the movie is that the team is there to literally clean up the mess left behind by the kind of battles you normally see in superhero movies, and ensure no alien artifacts end up in the wrong hands.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
My favorite quote from this episode was "You know, it'd be nice if for once Thor and his people sent down the God of Cleaning Up After Yourself. They probably have a magic broom for this kind of thing."

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Jonathan_S

Quote:
"For a little while"
Yeah, definite callback.

Also "It's a magical place" seems like another conditioned response from Coleson. I don't think anyone (himself included) has mentioned Tahiti without him following up with that phrase.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
"They probably have a magic broom for this kind of thing."
Although we know how well THAT works out!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
john4200

Quote:
Although we know how well THAT works out!
Be serious, stop your mickey mousing.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I enjoyed this episode, especially with all the shout-outs to "Thor: The Dark World."

Will there be a similar follow-up episode for "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"?
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Will there be a similar follow-up episode for "Captain America: The Winter Soldier"?
It sounds like they're planning to have vague back-and-forths with all the movies.

Thor 2 was already mostly done when they started work on SHIELD, but future movies should have little hooks in them for the show to pick up on.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
There should actually be a lot more tie ins with Captain America considering that he is working with SHIELD, but it will probably be something similar to what they did with Thor.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #24
latrobe7
Just one more thing

So May and Ward totally did it, right? I mean he didn't follow her in to her room for just a drink. It will probably make for some drama if/when Skye and/or Coulson find out...
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7 View Post
So May and Ward totally did it, right? I mean he didn't follow her in to her room for just a drink. It will probably make for some drama if/when Skye and/or Coulson find out...
They probably low keyed each other to sleep. And that's my main problem with the show. Coulson, May and Ward are all low key, laid back, laconic characters. Coulson worked well with the Avengers because his personality was opposite to the testosterone fueled egos of the super heroes and Nick Fury. On this show, other than the two chattering chipmunks, everybody is laid back.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
[cue Lost Jin/English tutor discussion]

Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
NoThru22
Smelly Pirate Hooker

If they made a reference to Dollhouse on this show, why couldn't they make a "The hammer is my penis" reference in The Avengers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NoThru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #28
dtle

Quote:
I think that was the hint, but it could be something else.

May said that she always had the rage inside her, and Ward asked how did she handle it. I don't think she replied. We did see her doing yoga on previous episode.

So an alternative explanation is that she was teaching him yoga and other relaxations technique... late at night... in a hotel room.... with a bottle of wine..
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #29
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
"For a little while"
Yeah, definite callback.

Also "It's a magical place" seems like another conditioned response from Coleson. I don't think anyone (himself included) has mentioned Tahiti without him following up with that phrase.
It almost seems like a secret agent code phrase transaction, searching for the person who will respond to the "magical place" phrase "correctly". I don't think Coulson knows anything about it, but maybe he will remember when the right answering phrase is given.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
I think that was the hint, but it could be something else.

May said that she always had the rage inside her, and Ward asked how did she handle it. I don't think she replied. We did see her doing yoga on previous episode.
I thought he asked her what she saw (knowing that he always sees the well), and she replied something along the lines of "the same thing I see all the time".