TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Janizary

Bad PSU capacitors? Pics

Good evening, all.

Came home tonight to my original Series3 with a frozen on-screen image. Rebooted and it stuck at "Welcome, Powering up." Multiple manual restarts (unplugs) and continued to stick at the 'welcome, powering up' screen. Read the troubleshooting guide and got a very unexpected (but very welcome!) reply from Weaknees on the issue with the link to the pics of bad capacitors. Pulled off the cover and saw what (I think) look like two slightly domed capacitors. I have attached two small pics of the potentially affect caps and wanted to get an opinion if you thought these caps were bad before buying a new PSU for the TiVO.

Thanks in advance for your help. Helped me fix my two older TiVOs in the past and I really appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TivoS3Caps1a.jpg (67.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg TivoS3Caps2a.jpg (98.3 KB, 93 views)
• Premiere
Janizary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
ADent

Those are definitely bulging. Should be replaced.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janizary View Post
Good evening, all.

Came home tonight to my original Series3 with a frozen on-screen image. Rebooted and it stuck at "Welcome, Powering up." Multiple manual restarts (unplugs) and continued to stick at the 'welcome, powering up' screen. Read the troubleshooting guide and got a very unexpected (but very welcome!) reply from Weaknees on the issue with the link to the pics of bad capacitors. Pulled off the cover and saw what (I think) look like two slightly domed capacitors. I have attached two small pics of the potentially affect caps and wanted to get an opinion if you thought these caps were bad before buying a new PSU for the TiVO.

Thanks in advance for your help. Helped me fix my two older TiVOs in the past and I really appreciate it.
Caps that have gone bad do not always display visible signs, so in addition to the two obviously bad ones in the photos you may have others that need replacing as well.

Or that will need replacing within the year even if they don't right now.

There are a few 648 PS cap lists around the site, one of them mine from a couple of weeks ago.

I'll ty to remember to search for them tomorrow when I'm awake.

EDIT:

Of course it's possible that the power supply, although it has bad caps, is still capable of doing the job and that the problem is the original 250GB hard drive has gone bad.

So hook it to a PC and boot it with either the cd you burn from the image you download from the WD site, or the one you burn of the Ultimate Boot cd .iso, and run the long test.

Don't forget to burn "as an image", for it to be bootable.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
unitron

The cap list I made is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...77#post9877677

Here's HerronScott's list with Digi-Key part numbers:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9131293

and Blahman put together a list at the Mouser site of their part numbers:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...39#post9456839

Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
HerronScott

We get a moderator to make a sticky post "Bad Power Supply capacitor parts lists" with links to the lists like you have above (plus the HD list).

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
teasip

I second this request for a sticky. I'm running fine at present but I'm sure it'll hit at some point and I'll have to hunt to find the replacement parts specifics.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

+1 I third this request, although I think the topic should be broader, e.g., Power Supply problems and fixes.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
jrtroo
User

The timing for this could not be better, as a local power outage seems to have triggered my THD box to not want to start up, though so far it eventually can be coaxed into a full boot.

I was just about to start searching around for which caps I should purchase, and this is the perfect thread. Now that caps seem to be the leading cause of failure for these older boxes, the sticky treatment has become important for many folks who will wander in.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
unitron

The power supply sticky should not be in the S3 forum

as "capacitor plague" is just as much an S2 problem.

I've been meaning to start a general power supply problems thread, I guess in the Help forum, and request that it be stickified.

All this would be so much easier if they'd just make me a moderator.

Or Supreme Omnipotent Emperor for Life. That'd work too.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Good point about sticky location, oh impotent emporer!

and
Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The power supply sticky should not be in the S3 forum

All this would be so much easier if they'd just make me a moderator.

Or Supreme Omnipotent Emperor for Life. That'd work too.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
dwit

Yes, it could just as likely be a bad drive. Same thing happened with my TivoHD: stuck on "Welcome Powering Up".

Thing is I knew beforehand that it has multiple bulging capacitors for months(possibly years).

Anyway, replaced drive and it's back to working(2 months in) like new, bulging caps and all. The old drive was definitely dead: 6 year old Hitachi 1 TB Desk Star. Replaced it with an almost equally as old WD 1 TB Green Drive.

Easy to trouble shoot if it's the drive, if you have a working drive with the same Tivo model software(original drive, new replacement drive, etc.).
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.

Last edited by dwit : 11-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Janizary

Thanks, all.

Replaced the PSU. Powered up, got to the 'just a few more minutes' screen (which it would not before the swap, after 15+ restarts). Restarted manually and managed to get to the kickstart 54.

Ran the SMART tests. The primary drive passed the two basic tests, then got 'no start' on conveyance, extended, and the next test. (The expander drive passed everything).

Exited the menu and restarted to try another test but missed the window. The Tivo actually booted up normally, but rebooted about a 45 min later when loading programming information.

Ordered a new drive. Don't mind fixing things, just hate that I lost way, way too many shows that I've not had the time to watch (a few seasons of some shows) over the last few years. Humbug. Heh.
• Premiere
Janizary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Yeah, I suppose there were some arguments in favor of striping (sharing) each recorded video between internal and expander drives, but reliability certainly wasn't one of them -- it doubles the probability you will lose all recordings due to a disk failure.

and
Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janizary View Post
Thanks, all.

Replaced the PSU. Powered up, got to the 'just a few more minutes' screen (which it would not before the swap, after 15+ restarts). Restarted manually and managed to get to the kickstart 54.

Ran the SMART tests. The primary drive passed the two basic tests, then got 'no start' on conveyance, extended, and the next test. (The expander drive passed everything).

Exited the menu and restarted to try another test but missed the window. The Tivo actually booted up normally, but rebooted about a 45 min later when loading programming information.

Ordered a new drive. Don't mind fixing things, just hate that I lost way, way too many shows that I've not had the time to watch (a few seasons of some shows) over the last few years. Humbug. Heh.

Did you have an external attached to that S3?

Either way, it might be possible to save your shows, or at least some of them, by copying the internal to that new drive you ordered.

What did you order?