TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #121
Cheezmo

Good to know. That is how Apple handles computers with iTunes account activations. The option to deactivate all appears only when you hit the limit and can only be done every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippythelizard View Post
Long time occasional lurker here...

Just got Stream OOH update. Was at 12/50 mobile clients before update (Actual number of devices is 6).

After update, when I connected, it told me I was at my limit (new limit=12) and asked if I wanted to reset the client list. It said it could be done every 30 days and clients would automatically reconnect without losing service.

We'll see how that works in practice when my daughter gets home as she is the heaviest user of the app in our household.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #122
g808

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
Agreed, 100%.

I would love to be able to return the Sling 350 and the $15 iPad app.
Ditto, I'm hoping stream could replace sling, but no streaming over cellular is a key gap. I just think it's crazy Sling wants $$ for both the ipad AND iPhone apps. I understand paying for the app on different platforms, but I would expect to pay once for IOS.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #123
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
I understand paying for the app on different platforms, but I would expect to pay once for IOS.
Why?
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #124
Austin Bike

Worked for me last night after getting the update. Interestingly, it would not work for me using my iphone as a hot spot for my ipad, only my ipad on wifi. Technically it was wifi for the ipad both ways, but something kept it from working with the phone. Need more testing.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #125
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Worked for me last night after getting the update. Interestingly, it would not work for me using my iphone as a hot spot for my ipad, only my ipad on wifi. Technically it was wifi for the ipad both ways, but something kept it from working with the phone. Need more testing.
It works for me when I tether my iPad to my iPhone.

My iPhone is jailbroken on iOS 6 though not sure if that matters.
noone3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #126
beobuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman55 View Post
I got the new Stream update the other day. 19.1.3b-01-6 I ran the Out of Home setup with no problem. The out of home checkmark was there.
Is there supposed to be Live streaming of TV with this update? The only streaming I get is when I watch a recorded show within my home network. If I try to watch a Live show it records it and then plays it back. If I am away from home, it does nothing on LTE for Live or recorded shows. (streaming over cellular not supported) I'm not exactly sure what this update is supposed to do. I have rebooted my Stream and Premiere many times.
Thanks for your input.
Same problem here. No go with OOH streaming over LTE. Haven't had opportunity to try over distant LAN with wi-fi.
Tivo HD XL (for sale)
Tivo HD (for sale)
LG LST-3410A
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #127
untfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
Good to know. That is how Apple handles computers with iTunes account activations. The option to deactivate all appears only when you hit the limit and can only be done every so often.
I sent a query to TiVo and they basically responded with the same. They said an option would be present once I maxed out - they also made it seem like the oldest could get replaced by the newest. It's not a hard fixed limit which was the majority of my concern.
untfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #128
Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy86 View Post
Get it to work with Android and I will buy it otherwise no thanks.
Agreed
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #129
g808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
I was able to stream OOH from my ipad while tethered to my iPhone.

As others have noted OOH streaming quality isn't up to par, by a wide margin, with Sling over the same connection, but hopefully it improves over time. Sling does have a bit of a head start.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #130
musiclover1966

Out-of-home streaming on the Tivo Stream is a joke - all copyrighted content is prohibited. 95% of the shows I record on Tivo are marked copyrighted... every channel except the major networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. This means no watching my NHL games, no watching The Walking Dead.

I realize how making a copy or "downloading" would be prohibited. Tivo2Go has become virtually useless for me since I upgraded to a Tivo Premier. But applying the same rules to streaming? Give me a break... you've just made the business case for me to buy a slingbox.

Stop your deceptive marketing saying that the Tivo is like a slingbox... preventing you from watching your own recorded content makes this feature totally useless.

I've been a Tivo user for more than 6 years now and I've never been more dissapointed in an anticipated feature. Oh, and as long as my Premiere is still functional I'll never upgrade to a Roamio - I was tempted because this feature was added to that platform first... now I have no reason to upgrade.

Now off to order my slingbox... The slingbox people should thank Tivo for creating a new market for them.
musiclover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #131
Lars_J

musiclover1966,
That is most likely a problem with your cable provider, who is incorrectly flagging programs. TiVo will be slapped down hard if they allow you to circumvent that flag, which is normally set on a per-channel basis, and usually premium channels only. Slingbox only survives because of the analogue loophole, which could go away as analogue output is phased out.

(And you can't do remote downloads with Slingbox either.)

---------------

I finally got the out of home streaming update, although I have only tried a download instead of streaming. (over LTE) But biggest disappointment is the download speed, which appears to be capped by the Stream's slow output - not the internet speed - because it is slow at home as well.

Does Roamio have faster transcoding?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #132
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover1966 View Post
Out-of-home streaming on the Tivo Stream is a joke - all copyrighted content is prohibited.
You should seek to understand who sets the copyright attribute before going off on an uneducated rant.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #133
musiclover1966

Since when is streaming the same as copying?

I still blame TiVo - whether or not it's their fault for not resolving this with cable card providers. In the end, they get the bad rap and deserve it. IMHO of course.
musiclover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #134
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePA1 View Post
You should seek to understand who sets the copyright attribute before going off on an uneducated rant.
You should seek to understand why Tivo makes it ok to stream within the home but not out with the same CCI flags set.

Tivo deserves this rant IMO, there's no excuse for it when OOH streaming has already been done by others. You could setup a WMC PC and do it with the exact same provider and cablecard setup, frex.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #135
Austin Bike

Quote:
I still blame TiVo - whether or not it's their fault
Annnnnd scene.

We should stick to comments about things they can control. Otherwise they get blamed for everything. I wore out the shock bushings on my bike. Tivo is to blame....
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #136
noone3000

Thumbs down

I have auditioned the TiVo Stream now for about a week.

My impressions:

1. Looks and works great for in home streaming. However, I will just watch the real TV if I'm at home, so this feature really serves no purpose for me.

2. Out of home streaming quality is far inferior to Slingbox's quality. On the same excellent wifi connection, Slingbox's video is smooth and motion doesn't create a blurry mess of everything. Stream's motion creates a lot of blocking, pixelation. It looks terrible quite honestly. I even setup a multicast VPN and still the quality is far inferior to the Sling on the same network. It appears that the video conversion the Slingbox is using is superior to what is being used in the Stream.

3. The download speed out of home is too slow for the real network connection. Someone mentioned that we could just download to get a better quality stream. Even if they fix the 5 minute lockout download issue, you still could not watch a medium quality download 10 minutes into the download without it running out.

4. Obviously, the controls are better and more responsive on the TiVo vs. the Slingbox.

In conclusion, I don't feel the Stream is worth the $70 I paid for it, which is why it's going to be returned. Do I like the fact that I had to pay $150 for the Slingbox 350 and then had to fork another $15 over for the iPad app? No, but at least I can watch football on it and it doesn't look like a blurry mess.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #137
moyekj

Quote:
3. Someone mentioned that we could just download to get a better quality stream. Even if they fix the 5 minute lockout download issue, you still could not watch a medium quality download 10 minutes into the download without it running out.
FYI, there was an update to iOS App yesterday that fixed the 5 minute download pause issue. Just tried out download today to confirm the fix. It took almost 50 minutes to download a 1 hour show @medium quality which matches up with waiting about 10 minutes for uninterrupted viewing.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #138
Bulldawg9908

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI, there was an update to iOS App yesterday that fixed the 5 minute download pause issue. Just tried out download today to confirm the fix. It took almost 50 minutes to download a 1 hour show @medium quality which matches up with waiting about 10 minutes for uninterrupted viewing.
It's fixed? I updated my TiVo app this morning, and I'm still experiencing the 5 minute disconnect and pause. Do you have to set up streaming from home again, because I haven't done that yet.
Bulldawg9908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #139
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
This update looks promising. I started a download on the old version, and tried to play it 5 minutes into the download and got the error 'Cannot Play This' , or something to that effect. I then downloaded the new version and it resumed my download without issue and I was able to start the playback without issue. I am playing it back now at Medium quality, and it looks great.

However, it still used up my 5 minute buffer, even on a decent 2-6 Mbps tethered LTE speed.

I'll have to test this further.

Last edited by noone3000 : 11-19-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #140
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg9908 View Post
It's fixed? I updated my TiVo app this morning, and I'm still experiencing the 5 minute disconnect and pause. Do you have to set up streaming from home again, because I haven't done that yet.
It's fixed for me. I checked this morning and confirmed my App was updated to latest version. I never did try in home streaming but took my iPad Air to work and verified it was working fine. Note that you still get the "Reconnecting..." message every 5 minutes, however the download continues through those messages unlike before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #141
noone3000

Testing this further, the live streaming video quality is still fairly poor. Football players who are running still look like a blocky mess.

I guess the alternative is to download it to your i-device for a 1/2 hour at Medium quality and then start watching it. That really seems like the only option to achieve decent quality video watching, but who wants to wait that long to watch a program since you have to leave your i-device on with the app open for it to continue to download.

I really want this device to work.......
Old 11-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #142
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Testing this further, the live streaming video quality is still fairly poor. Football players who are running still look like a blocky mess.

I guess the alternative is to download it to your i-device for a 1/2 hour at Medium quality and then start watching it. That really seems like the only option to achieve decent quality video watching, but who wants to wait that long to watch a program since you have to leave your i-device on with the app open for it to continue to download.

I really want this device to work.......
Maybe it's because I have an iPad Mini (instead of a full-size iPad), or maybe it's because I have a faster internet connection, but I've streamed shows from home to work and to various hotels/resorts while on vacation, and I do not have the poor video quality/pixelation issues. It works great, which I'm very thankful for. Not sure if there is a certain setting that helps with it, rebooting your cable modem, etc. Mine starts off bad for the first 1-2 seconds then clears up.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #143
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Watching a regular show I found the quality to be quite good! Definitely watchable... I don't watch football, but with the fast action and as much scope in view I can see how the details might wash out. But I really didn't see any evidence of it during my viewing.

Have you used a slingbox? Can you compare?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #144
Bulldawg9908

Seems to be working now. Deleted the app and re-installed. Maybe the original upgrade didn't work properly.
Bulldawg9908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #145
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
You should seek to understand why Tivo makes it ok to stream within the home but not out with the same CCI flags set.
And of course, you're privy to the requirements the cable companies have defined that TiVo has to comply with? Oh, that's right, you're not. You're assuming TiVo doesn't do it just to annoy you and piss off their customers. Makes perfect sense
Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #146
SugarBowl

The out of home streaming is actually working pretty good for me. But the in-home streaming has become almost unusable. The picture usually freezes up within the first 20 secs of streaming. And several times, when I look at the System Information for streaming, the status says Precondition Failed.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #147
tre74

In home streaming works beautifully for me. I tried it out of home today. The quality of the stream made me long for the days of VHS. It was s--t.
tre74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #148
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre74 View Post
I tried it out of home today. The quality of the stream made me long for the days of VHS. It was s--t.
Yup. Sling is much better at streaming. But downloading medium quality and letting it buffer a little and then watch while it's downloading gives good quality with the iOS App.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #149
mattack

Did this now go live for everyone? Last night, on my iPad, I was having problems (will describe in a minute), and did the Setup thing to hopefully fix things.. it showed setup for out of home streaming as one of the options. Since I'm on a WiFi only iPad I'm not likely to take outside, I left that unchecked. (I'll enable it on my iPhone at some point.)

So last night, I was having problems very similar to what others described in the past -- you could watch/download ONE thing, but further attempts would do nothing. (For me, they would stay at 0 bytes transferred.) I unplugged the Tivo Stream once, that seemed to fix it again for one more thing.. then it got into that state again..

Even trying the Test Streaming option would just show 5 4 3 2 1 5 4 3 2 1 5 4 3 2 1 forever (apparently).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #150
mattack

Quote:
Since when is streaming the same as copying?
Because you are literally making a copy of the content *TO* stream it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote