TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Roamio Channel Limitation?

When I mentioned to the office manager at the local Cable One office that I had a new Roamio on the way, I was told "The Roamio will only get channels 2-56 in a cable system with Digital Simulcast, which we do not yet offer in Page. We’ve just recently learned of this new development with TiVo. I was told, by a customer, that TiVo doesn’t mention this in their product description of the Roamio."

It doesn't make sense to me. They don't yet offer Digital Simulcast but the Roamio will only get 2-56 if they did?

Any idea what she was trying to tell me?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
When I mentioned to the office manager at the local Cable One office that I had a new Roamio on the way, I was told "The Roamio will only get channels 2-56 in a cable system with Digital Simulcast, which we do not yet offer in Page. We’ve just recently learned of this new development with TiVo. I was told, by a customer, that TiVo doesn’t mention this in their product description of the Roamio."

It doesn't make sense to me. They don't yet offer Digital Simulcast but the Roamio will only get 2-56 if they did?

I'm guessing what is trying to be conveyed here is that channels 2-56 are only broadcast as Analog. The Roamio line received a waiver from the FCC and does not include analog tuners. If the Cable One system in your area is in fact still analog for 2-56 without digital simulcast, you would be unable to watch those channels on the Roamio since it it Digital Cable only.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
socrplyr

The the Premiere Elite/4/4XL and all the Roamio boxes only can receive digital channels. They cannot receive analog channels. Many cable providers that still use analog channels will "simulcast" in digital as well. It appears that your provider doesn't. If those channels are important to you (and there is no HD version of them), then you would lose the content completely with a Roamio.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
The the Premiere Elite/4/4XL and all the Roamio boxes only can receive digital channels. They cannot receive analog channels. Many cable providers that still use analog channels will "simulcast" in digital as well. It appears that your provider doesn't. If those channels are important to you (and there is no HD version of them), then you would lose the content completely with a Roamio.
So ask your cable company when they plan to move into the 21st Century.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Never mind. What she meant is that the content on existing channels 2-56 (which are analog) will only be available to me when they simulcast those channels in digital.

Quote:

Old 11-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
For analog, I have S2 and THD TiVos.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
So ask your cable company when they plan to move into the 21st Century.
What, and have to retire my three Series 2 boxes?!?

20th Century Forever!

(Well, until my S2s die or get retired.)
Old 11-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
socrplyr

Quote:
For analog, I have S2 and THD TiVos.
If you are good with having a split solution seems fine then.
A quick look at the line up and it looks like you would lose:
2, 4, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 21, 23, 27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34, 35, 37, 39, 40, 41, 47, 48, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56
None of those have an HD equivalent. There are some deal breaker channels in there for me.

I agree that it stinks that your cable co is so far behind. There are a lot of other ones that have as many if not more analogs, but have all of them simulcast in digital.

If you want a single box solution, the newest box that would do that is the regular 2-tuner Premiere or Premiere XL. You could also pick up a used TivoHD.

You seem fine with a split box solution, so you can definitely just do that...
That would be a no go for me as the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) would be extremely low.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote