TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
El Maestro

Number of Simultaneous Recordings on FIOS?

Hi,

I'm new here. About to get a Roamio Pro, but I have a quick question (apologies if it's been answered, but I couldn't find anything from searching):

I read that Cable Cos are only required to provide the same functionality on CableCards that they offer on their own equipment. So, Verizon currently only offers 2 tuner DVRs. Does this mean I'll be limited to 2 on the Roamio?

Thanks for any help/advice. I already found a great thread here on what kind of CableCard to get and I know that it must be activated AND paired to make all channels work. I'm ready to jump into TiVo!
El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
Hi,

I'm new here. About to get a Roamio Pro, but I have a quick question (apologies if it's been answered, but I couldn't find anything from searching):

I read that Cable Cos are only required to provide the same functionality on CableCards that they offer on their own equipment. So, Verizon currently only offers 2 tuner DVRs. Does this mean I'll be limited to 2 on the Roamio?

Thanks for any help/advice. I already found a great thread here on what kind of CableCard to get and I know that it must be activated AND paired to make all channels work. I'm ready to jump into TiVo!
Your Roamio Pro supports up to 6 streams, but it is up firmware on your provider's CableCard as to how many can be used. With the right firmware, you will be able to tune to 6 streams at once on your device.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Jonathan_S

One of my friends has a Roamio Pro on FIOS and it can record from 6 channels at once. (IIRC there might have been an issue with making sure it was a recent enough cable card, but FIOS does support 6 channel recording)
Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
As already mentioned, FIOS should be fine with 6 tuners.

Just to clarify FCC mandates regarding CableCARDs and number of tuners. The cable companies are required to support the same number of tuners available on their own equipment, or 4 tuners, which ever is more.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
rsnaider

I have no issues with 6 recordings at once on my Roamio with FiOS, and if I have all boxes running can actually record 14 shows, but have not gone that far, or never actually paid attention to see if all boxes were active at the same time....

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

I had one of the old FiOS cable cards from several years ago and it was able to record six channels concurrently on my Roamio Pro. Although at the time there was a pairing problem with that older cable card so I replaced it with a new one so I could pair it and watch HBO and Cinemax.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
El Maestro

Wow, thanks so much for the quick replies.

I took the plunge and got the box and everything, made sure to get the right CableCard and I'm going through guided set up right now!

Pairing took 10 minutes in a live chat with Verizon. A fine gentleman named Privthi took care of it quickly and easily. Fingers crossed I finish with no hiccups…

Thanks again for the quick info! Seems like a great community here.
El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote