TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #61
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,155
I suppose that people who plot subversive acts against the government should probably avoid doing it in front of their Kinect (or their mobile phones, network connected tablets and computers with webcams and/or microphones). I'm not going to worry about it too much. Since my Xbox One will be in my bedroom I may keep its camera covered when not using it for games with camera features, just in case .
__________________
Mike Scott

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #62
en sabur nur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I used to contract for the NSA. They and many other institutions, both government and private, bank on naive people like you who "ostrich up" and cram their heads in the sand. That's all I'm saying about this.....flame away ostriches.....or should I say, cattle, sheeple.........
There are people at both extremes. Some never question authority and others see conspiracies everywhere. All of them are foolish.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #63
en sabur nur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 50
I pre-ordered a Xbox One primarily for the tv integration features. I'm upgrading to a Roamio Pro from a Premiere 4, fully knowing that the Xbox One will not be able to integrate my dvr recordings. That's okay, because I'll use the RF remote or, even better, the Tivo iPad app (excellent) to quickly access those, as well as Netflix, YouTube and Hulu through DIAL. The XBOne will add BluRay, Skype, Skydrive, HBO Go and Vudu. The games are just gravy.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #64
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
At least based on my experience with my teenage son and his friends, I would say this is not the case at least with older kids. They rarely play console games these days and it's all PC online gaming through companies selling games like Steam (and my son does have just almost all the console systems sold in the last 15 years with the exception of the PS3).
Same here. The PC as a platform for online gaming in particular is far from dead because of companies like Valve with their Steam platform and all the MMO games out there that he and his friends play. We have Xboxes here and they are only used as extenders, my son and his friends never use them.

Same for my daughter, I built her a PC for Christmas last year even though she and her husband have a PS3 and Xbox because the online gaming experience is so much better on a PC. Games like Battlefield have many more players on a side on the PC than on the Xbox (because of console limitations) and the graphics are way better. And there are tons of quality RPGs that are only available online for PCs (Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, League of Legends, etc.).

The decline of PC gaming is overrated, in many ways this is the golden age when you factor in online play.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #65
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
PC game sales have been on the decline for years. PC sales in general are also on the decline. Just do a Google news search and you'll find a hundred articles talking about it.

The current Kinect has a resale value of about $6, for a peripheral. And when MS initially announced that the XB1 would require the Kinect to be connected at all times people freaked out. So much so that MS reversed their position. Obviously the masses see no real value in the Kinect. People may turn out to like it and change their mind, but I'm confident that very few, if any, day one console buyers are getting an XB1 over a PS4 solely because of Kinect or the HDMI pass through feature.
But also look at the time alot of this info was released. People were freaking out over the NSA stuff. Although it was nothing new and had been going on for many years. But it seemed that people freaked out about it for some reason. And MS got a lot of Blowback because of it.

As far as using the HDMI input with a Video overlay. I'll believe it when I see it. Typically any device that uses an overlay doesn't get it right. Because it needs to decode the audio, then mix it's own audio, and then either output multi-channel PCM or re-encode back to DD or even DTS. Typically devices end up outputting stereo. And at some point later it may or may not get fixed. I would expect the XBOne to be fixed if it has the same stereo output issue. But only because the XBOne will be around for many years. Other devices in the past with overlays had a short life span so they were not always fixed.

But I would be extremely surprised if the audio works correctly out of the gate for the XBOne with the HDMI input. I expect it to work like other devices in the past that had HDMI inputs. The HDMI input device will have multichannel audio going into the XBOne and the XBOne ends up borking the audio when it mixes it's own audio in. So you end up with something less than was input. This is the main reason why I do not plan to use a primary device with the XBOne HDMI input. Once I see that it works correctly, it might be a different story. But initially I will use a secondary device with the HDMI input.

SO I'll either use my ROku3 with the HDMI input or my OTA Roamio Basic since neither one is really a primary viewing device for me. Well I guess the ROku3 is for some Amazon content(I watched Alpha House last night) and the Funimation app, so I guess it will need to be my OTA Roamio Basic instead.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 11-18-2013 at 12:46 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #66
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,155
I'm keeping my 360 and am going to try running it through the Xbox One HDMI input. The best the 360 can output is basic DD 5.1 anyway so hopefully it can output at least that much as PCM or re-encoded basic DD 5.1 (cheap BDPs can do either).
__________________
Mike Scott

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #67
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,596
I'm trying to decide if I want to do that or not. Was trying to use the XB1 as an excuse to simplify my system, that will complicate things. Not sure if I'm ready to dump the 360 completely though.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #68
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
PCs are not "superior gaming platforms". They're expensive,
I can get a gaming PC cheaper than either the PS4 or the Xbox One.

Quote:
hard to maintain,
In 2013? What year do you think this is? My PC requires no more maintenance (for gaming purposes) than my Xbox 360. Actually, my Xbox 360 takes more, cause it broke and I had to send it back for repairs.

Quote:
and the online experience is no where near what even the PS4 can do.
So i'm assuming you don't know about steam?

Quote:
PCs can have vastly superior specs, and because they have more buttons they make it easier to play certain types of games, but there is a reason the PC is dying as a gaming platform. Most people value the experience more then the specs.
Boy is your data out of date! The PC has been experiencing a gaming revolution for about *checks watch* a decade now. Keep up. Steam and online distribution combined with the indy game market has made PC gaming dominant again.

Quote:
In any case you're situation is unique. If someone was approaching this from a pure console gamer perspective they will typically pick their preffered platform based on the controler, the exclusive games and the online experience. People value the Kinect so little that they pressured MS to make it so it's not required to be connected to the XBox. If voice commands and motion control were so important to buyers why would they have lashed out against that requirement? I'm not saying the feature isn't cool and that it might sway the vote for some buyers, I'm just saying that for most buyers it's a gimmick and had no bearing on their decision.

My situation is not unique, but I will admit, it is not the norm. But you made a statement suggesting NO ONE was like me. we may be a minority, but we exist.

"buyers" didn't lash out. Buyers made the Xbox One release edition sell-out everywhere. Online forums and trolls lashed out... the same people who think the difference between native 720P upscaled to 1080 vs native 1080 is a "big deal." Those people don't matter to me.

Last edited by Grakthis : 11-18-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #69
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
PC game sales have been on the decline for years. PC sales in general are also on the decline. Just do a Google news search and you'll find a hundred articles talking about it.
Really? That's strange, cause I googled "declining PC game sales" and I got (first link).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...s-gabe-newell/

Quote:
"So despite the huge declines in PC sales, on the gaming side there's growth. Steam is going up 76 per cent year-on-year while PCs are going through double-digit declines."
Quote:
The current Kinect has a resale value of about $6, for a peripheral.
So, you're wrong by half. And the Xbox 360 has a resale value of under $100 without peripherals. So what point do you think you're making? Oh, I know, It's last gen hardware. Good point.

Quote:
And when MS initially announced that the XB1 would require the Kinect to be connected at all times people freaked out.
See above.

Quote:
So much so that MS reversed their position.
No they didn't. They added in a menu option. It disables all kinect features. They added a bit. Ooooh ahhhh.

Quote:
Obviously the masses see no real value in the Kinect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect#Reception

Quote:
8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect has claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device"
Like, I am having a hard time taking you seriously right now. You're arguing that a device that was the fastest selling peripheral of ALL TIME after it was released had "no real value" for the "masses."

Quote:
People may turn out to like it and change their mind, but I'm confident that very few, if any, day one console buyers are getting an XB1 over a PS4 solely because of Kinect or the HDMI pass through feature.
I mean, we just established that at least one is. So stop saying "if any." Here's one. I just raised my hand.

So, you're "if" is wrong. 100% factually untrue. Stop saying it.

Oh, also, my brother. But he's not buying one. He said "if he were...." So I am not counting him.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #70
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I used to contract for the NSA. They and many other institutions, both government and private, bank on naive people like you who "ostrich up" and cram their heads in the sand. That's all I'm saying about this.....flame away ostriches.....or should I say, cattle, sheeple.........
Oh yeah well I am the FBI and I just looked at your secret files and saw that you like to **** sheep. I have pictures right here. I know this because I hacked all of your IPs at the same time and got access to your TV which is secretly receiving light within its LEDS and transmitting that light back to the intertubes.

I mean, you should see the look on your face, sheep****er! It's priceless!
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #71
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
I mean, Dan, do you know that the Ps2 outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 both? And the GBA did too.

Are you talking about the "decline" of gaming consoles too?
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #72
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,596
Whoa! Defensive much?

If you look at the actual sales of popular game titles on the PC you'll see sales are declining, or flat, compared to their console counterparts. Valve is mainly seeing an increase in Steam sales because they're cannibalizing retail boxed sales. And Nvidia and ATI "cheat" on their numbers by claiming Facebook games as "PC games". The vast majority of PC buyers these days are buying inexpensive laptops which are incapable of playing real PC games and impossible to upgrade. There is, and always will be, a group of die hard PC gamers that will keep the PC gaming market viable, but with the PC market itself falling off a cliff I just don't see there being a lot of room for growth.

As for price.... Show me where you can get a complete gaming PC, including a keyboard and mouse, for less then an XB1/PS4. Not something you build yourself from parts or upgrade your last PC from. A complete system the average consumer can buy off the shelf and start playing games on immediately and actually enjoy the experience.

As for online experience... I was referring to the complete online experience. Chat, parties, matching, etc... It's been a few years since I used Steam but I don't remember it having anything like that. Each game had it's own matchmaking and chat capabilities that had to be setup from game to game.

As for my statements about Kinect and the video capabilities... I was simply saying that in my opinion very few day one buyers chose the XB1 over the PS3 because of those features. Most day one buyers are hard core gamers who already have an established preference for one system over the other based on things such as the controller, online experience (i.e. XB live), exclusive games, and what they're friends have. I seriously doubt many gamers with established biases like that will choose an XB1 over a PS4 simply because it has an HDMI pass through port and the ability to control your cable box by talking to your Kinect. That was the point of my statement there.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #73
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Oh yeah well I am the FBI and I just looked at your secret files and saw that you like to **** sheep. I have pictures right here. I know this because I hacked all of your IPs at the same time and got access to your TV which is secretly receiving light within its LEDS and transmitting that light back to the intertubes. I mean, you should see the look on your face, sheep****er! It's priceless!
wow I didn't think you'd be that jealous of me treating your wife like that! Sorry dude!
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #74
eaadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 30
Really looking forward to seeing how this works on a Premiere 2 tuner. I sure hope it works well. It is the main reason I am getting an Xbox one. In hopes it works better for auto tuning media. The YouTube casting to Premere has been completely unacceptable, So I hope the XBone can do a better job and then auto tune back to TIVO for tv.
__________________
Evan Adams
Sacramento, CA
eaadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #75
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
wow I didn't think you'd be that jealous of me treating your wife like that! Sorry dude!
better than a "your mom" response, but still, kinda reaching in to the vault for that one, aren't we? I think you can do better. Take another shot at it. I'll wait. I don't have anywhere to be.

Let's say, we'll take your best joke, out of 3, and only count that one.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #76
en sabur nur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 50
I think it will work out fine. The Xbox One will switch the user to whatever is dispaying on the main screen. So, if I play a recording, using the iPad app for example, that will be playing when I say "Xbox, go to live tv". I'll probably use the Tivo remote (or iPad) for all dvr controls (especially on a Tivo Roamio) and the Xbox One for everything else.
en sabur nur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #77
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Whoa! Defensive much?

If you look at the actual sales of popular game titles on the PC you'll see sales are declining, or flat, compared to their console counterparts.
Popular game titles are not the criteria on which we rate the success of platform. If AAA titles aren't selling as well, maybe that's because AAA titles aren't very good anymore? Maybe people are spending their money on the $5 Indy titles instead?

Quote:
Valve is mainly seeing an increase in Steam sales because they're cannibalizing retail boxed sales. And Nvidia and ATI "cheat" on their numbers by claiming Facebook games as "PC games". The vast majority of PC buyers these days are buying inexpensive laptops which are incapable of playing real PC games and impossible to upgrade. There is, and always will be, a group of die hard PC gamers that will keep the PC gaming market viable, but with the PC market itself falling off a cliff I just don't see there being a lot of room for growth.
There's a ton of room for growth. The indy game market on PCs is absolutely out of control with new games. Games like Orcs Must Die, Monaco and Braid couldn't have existed in 2002. There was no distribution system. Today, you can stock your library with awesome games for under $50.

Again, the only possible way you can hold the position that PC gaming is dying is if you do not know anything about PC gaming. PC gaming is an exploding market, to the point where I saw repeated discussions of "why buy a PS4/Xbox One? They are just PCs now."

Quote:
As for price.... Show me where you can get a complete gaming PC, including a keyboard and mouse, for less then an XB1/PS4. Not something you build yourself from parts or upgrade your last PC from. A complete system the average consumer can buy off the shelf and start playing games on immediately and actually enjoy the experience.
Depends on how you define "gaming PC" of course. Let's use Skyrim as our benchmark, ok? If it can run skyrim, it's suitable for gaming.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/23-dual-core-aio-pc-5

$399.99. A radeon HD 7540D will play Skyrim with decent specs (middle of the road) without any stuttering. 4GB DDR3 is comparable to the Xbox One. And look, it even comes with a 23'' monitor!

Any day of the week, you can find a PC that will run every single current gen game on moderate specs (comparable to the One and PS4) for under 500 and usually in the 400 range.

Quote:
As for online experience... I was referring to the complete online experience. Chat, parties, matching, etc... It's been a few years since I used Steam but I don't remember it having anything like that. Each game had it's own matchmaking and chat capabilities that had to be setup from game to game.
Steam has a friends list, an in-game overlay and the ability to join friends games if the game supports it. Games can use Steams built-in chat settings and configuration, but many do not. matchmaking is up to each game to implement, the same way it is in the One and Ps4 but Valve provides some API help there.

So, it's up to each game to implement it, the same way it is for the Xbox and Ps4, but the functionality is built in to steam. All first party games use it... some third party ones do.

Quote:
As for my statements about Kinect and the video capabilities... I was simply saying that in my opinion very few day one buyers chose the XB1 over the PS3 because of those features. Most day one buyers are hard core gamers who already have an established preference for one system over the other based on things such as the controller, online experience (i.e. XB live), exclusive games, and what they're friends have. I seriously doubt many gamers with established biases like that will choose an XB1 over a PS4 simply because it has an HDMI pass through port and the ability to control your cable box by talking to your Kinect. That was the point of my statement there.
I don't disagree with a statement that "many" are that way. I found fault with your claims that "none" of them would be like me. Gamers like me are out there... I mean, the launch titles on both machines are awful. And I've owned every gen of Xbox and Playstation so I am platform agnostic. In fact, I bought a Ps3 before I bought a 360. So i don't have any ties to the Xbox platform i wouldn't sever if I didn't think it was worthwhile.

The xbox just offered me a value (Kinect) that the Ps4 didn't. Anything the PS4 offers me, I can get on my PC. If someday it offers me exclusives that i want to own, I may make the jump on the future Ps4 slim or something.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #78
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post

better than a "your mom" response, but still, kinda reaching in to the vault for that one, aren't we? I think you can do better. Take another shot at it. I'll wait. I don't have anywhere to be.

Let's say, we'll take your best joke, out of 3, and only count that one.
Haha, I was actually going to use the "your momma" joke, but then it became clear that you have some serious mommy issues that require therapy. I didn't want to rub any more salt into those poor mental wounds.

P.S. - how's that one?
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS

Last edited by HarperVision : 11-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #79
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 2,155
Could be stop the sniping between Grakthis and HarperVision? Also the totally off-topic exchange about PC gaming???
__________________
Mike Scott

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #80
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 25,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Popular game titles are not the criteria on which we rate the success of platform. If AAA titles aren't selling as well, maybe that's because AAA titles aren't very good anymore? Maybe people are spending their money on the $5 Indy titles instead?
It takes a LOT of $5 indy titles to make up for the $1 billion dollars GTA5 has sold. If your mesure of sucess is how many games are available then I'm betting iOS is the most sucessful gaming platform in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
There's a ton of room for growth. The indy game market on PCs is absolutely out of control with new games. Games like Orcs Must Die, Monaco and Braid couldn't have existed in 2002. There was no distribution system. Today, you can stock your library with awesome games for under $50.
MS is looking to steal this away as well. They've opened up development on the XB1 to make it easier for indy games to thrive. And with a pure x86 platform using standard DirectX API it should be relatively trivial for those indy developers to port thier games over, allowing to consoles to further syphon sales from the PC market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Again, the only possible way you can hold the position that PC gaming is dying is if you do not know anything about PC gaming. PC gaming is an exploding market, to the point where I saw repeated discussions of "why buy a PS4/Xbox One? They are just PCs now."
Money matters. And the money is shifting towards consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Depends on how you define "gaming PC" of course. Let's use Skyrim as our benchmark, ok? If it can run skyrim, it's suitable for gaming.

http://tech.woot.com/offers/23-dual-core-aio-pc-5

$399.99. A radeon HD 7540D will play Skyrim with decent specs (middle of the road) without any stuttering. 4GB DDR3 is comparable to the Xbox One. And look, it even comes with a 23'' monitor!

Any day of the week, you can find a PC that will run every single current gen game on moderate specs (comparable to the One and PS4) for under 500 and usually in the 400 range.
I define a gaming PC as something that can play every available PC game at atleast 1080p 60fps. And continue to be able to play every game for the next 5-7 years. Because that's what you get with a console. A platform that is guaranteed to play every game released for the system for the next 5-7 years. You can't do that with a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Steam has a friends list, an in-game overlay and the ability to join friends games if the game supports it. Games can use Steams built-in chat settings and configuration, but many do not. matchmaking is up to each game to implement, the same way it is in the One and Ps4 but Valve provides some API help there.

So, it's up to each game to implement it, the same way it is for the Xbox and Ps4, but the functionality is built in to steam. All first party games use it... some third party ones do.
That sounds pretty nice. I didn't realize they had developed the experience that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I don't disagree with a statement that "many" are that way. I found fault with your claims that "none" of them would be like me.
I never said "none". I said "very few, if any".
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #81
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
No they didn't. They added in a menu option. It disables all kinect features. They added a bit. Ooooh ahhhh.
They also clarified (or modified the xbox one so that) it will boot and run without the kinect camera connected.

Early statements claimed that the camera must be physically connected to use the system; even if you turned it off through the menus. (Now whether that was an actual change to the software or whether Microsoft just back peddled on the way they presented it is a mildly interesting unknown)


But that distinction maters (a bit) for me, because I occasionally take my 360 (and would take an xbox one) with me outside the home. Not having to bring along the kinect peripheral makes that easier.
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #82
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Haha, I was actually going too use the "your momma" joke, but then it became clear that you have some serious mommy issues that require therapy. I didn't want to rub any more salt into those poor mental wounds.

P.S. - how's that one?
See, this one doesn't work because you don't know me enough to say I have mommy issues. Like, if we knew each other, and I did have some kind of weird relationship with my mom, this would be a pretty good one. But we don't. So it's just kind of weird. Like, what, are you watching me on camera or something? are you outside of my house looking in the window? It conveys a sense of stalkerishness that just makes me feel creeped out.

That's ok, you have one more try though. Then we'll vote on the best one.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #83
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It takes a LOT of $5 indy titles to make up for the $1 billion dollars GTA5 has sold.
In what way? What if that indy game cost 1/1000th as much to make? Are you judging sales or profit or number of coders employed or hours spent playing? What is your criteria for "make up?"

Quote:
If your mesure of sucess is how many games are available then I'm betting iOS is the most sucessful gaming platform in history.
Probably true! I mean, we all know that the GBA is one of the best selling machines, right?

Quote:
MS is looking to steal this away as well. They've opened up development on the XB1 to make it easier for indy games to thrive. And with a pure x86 platform using standard DirectX API it should be relatively trivial for those indy developers to port thier games over, allowing to consoles to further syphon sales from the PC market.
Yeah, and it's a good movie. I don't think it will work though, because it's just so much easier to develop for the desktop. But they are going to take a run at it and I hope they do well.


Quote:
Money matters. And the money is shifting towards consoles.
Cite? And do you mean money in PURCHASES or development?

Quote:
I define a gaming PC as something that can play every available PC game at atleast 1080p 60fps. And continue to be able to play every game for the next 5-7 years. Because that's what you get with a console. A platform that is guaranteed to play every game released for the system for the next 5-7 years. You can't do that with a PC.
Oh come on. No, consoles cannot currently play games at 1080P at 60FPS. Literally, neither console can. Ok, that's not fair. How about, neither console DOES. Maybe one of them CAN. we don't know yet. But currently, nothing is doing better than 900P native (upscaled to 1080P) and I think 30FPS? They may have some running higher than 30. 1080P at 60FPS is definitely not the standard yet.

I might be wrong on the 900P. I think maybe one of the first party games for the PS4 is doing native 1080P? Maybe. I'd have to google it.

Quote:
I never said "none". I said "very few, if any".
What does the "if any" part mean if not "none?"

Very few OR none. that's what you said.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #84
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post

See, this one doesn't work because you don't know me enough to say I have mommy issues. Like, if we knew each other, and I did have some kind of weird relationship with my mom, this would be a pretty good one. But we don't. So it's just kind of weird. Like, what, are you watching me on camera or something? are you outside of my house looking in the window? It conveys a sense of stalkerishness that just makes me feel creeped out.

That's ok, you have one more try though. Then we'll vote on the best one.
I'll just leave you hanging. More fun that way and apparently we're pissing people off with our useless banter.
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #85
Aero 1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 423
well, i wont be chaining my tivo to the xbox one this friday. the verge confirmed that the xbox wont pass through Dolby Digital and that the option to transcode it to PCM is not enabled. dumb.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5...box-one-review

Quote:
For starters, passing my TiVo through the Xbox One darkened the picture and stripped the signal of its Dolby Digital audio encoding, taking away surround sound. There’s a beta option to transcode Dolby into DTS or PCM audio, but it didn’t seem to work for me, and Microsoft says it might cause additional video distortion with some cable boxes until it’s out of beta. If you have a home theater system, this is an immediate deal breaker; I wouldn’t let the Xbox One near your cable box until it can pass the signal unmolested.

__________________
Lifetime Subs: 2 TiVo Premiere's | TiVo HD | TiVo Stream

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #86
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
well, i wont be chaining my tivo to the xbox one this friday. the verge confirmed that the xbox wont pass through Dolby Digital and that the option to transcode it to PCM is not enabled. dumb.
Well that makes it pretty useless.

I just had another thought. I wonder if the xbox one will have internal volume control? Right now, with a 360, I need to turn the volume down by about 50% for the console, compared to watching TV because TV is so much quieter.

Even once they get DD->PCM working correctly am I going to be deafened if I get a game invite during a TV show?
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #87
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 600
Is there some kind of licensing issue that makes it so difficult to deal with Dolby Digital decoding/transcoding? I don't get why, with the cable box integration being such a big deal, this was not even remotely thought about.
__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #88
JosephB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 600
Follow up, though, I'm guessing that it works with PCM fine, so you could set your TiVo to PCM and have it work OK?
__________________
Current: TiVo HD w/lifetime, 2 x 2 Tuner Premieres

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #89
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
well, i wont be chaining my tivo to the xbox one this friday. the verge confirmed that the xbox wont pass through Dolby Digital and that the option to transcode it to PCM is not enabled. dumb.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/20/5...box-one-review
So why not just transcode to PCM in the TiVo (turn off DD)? Who gives a hoot where it's transcoded, the real problem is that it IS transcoded and not sent through unmolested as a DD signal, not where it's transcoded.
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #90
rhettf
R3T1CAL
 
rhettf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 175
I thought I would share how I will be setting up my AV setup here.



Before the announcement I was planing on running my TiVo Roamio through the Xbox One but I don't want to suffer any quality loss even if it turns out to be minimal. I am going to keep my Roamio plugged in like it is now and then hookup the TiVo mini to the Xbox one.

I actually like this solution better since it allows for guests to watch TV without messing with my Xbox One.

The interesting part is how the remote/kinect functionality will work.

Because the Roamio uses RF I will put a piece of cardboard around the front (with space for my Slingbox IR blaster) of the Roamio. After Starting the TiVo Roamio activity on my Harmony the TiVo remote is what will control the box. I need to hide the box because frankly programming my Harmony to control two different TiVo's is a pain! I know I can do it but since I like using my TiVo RF remote anyway I won't waste time. Plus the Xbox one will probably send out commands on the universal 0 channel for the TiVo which switches every TiVo back to the 0 channel.

The TiVo Mini will plug into the Xbox one and allow me to watch Live TV and my recordings if need be but I will want the better picture and sound whenever I am watching something I really want to watch...stereo audio will be fine for the food network or HGTV.

I will allow the Xbox to control the Mini and AVR, but only for channel changing and volume. Since the Xbox One won't know if my devices are already on using the Xbox On command would probably turn off my equipment plus get the harmony remote confused.

It's a hack but will allow me to get the best of both worlds. In the future when MS releases real 5.1 support and improves the picture quality I will hook up the Roamio directly to the Xbox One. It would be great to if in the future TiVo and MS bring in deeper device control via network commands.

TL;DR 5.1 surround isn't support (in beta but reports are not good) so I will just use a TiVo Mini to get Live TV but use my Roamio when wanting a better picture quality and 5.1
__________________
Tivo Roamio Pro + 1TB Expansion + Slingbox.
TiVo iPad & iPhone App.
Tivo Mini
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |