Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
TiVo Desktop Software - Storing on NSA325

Before it was just plus, I was storing the shows to an external USB Drive. I went into my network settings and created a drive (J to point to a specific folder on Windows 7 32bit. This one has 1TB RAID HD. I know that is a lot - and we could probably use this one (but the NSA325 already is seen as a media server).

However, I cannot seem to get that done now - point the folder to the Zyxel NSA325 with two 3G hard drives I think (they were in the process of allowing it to support more). Everything that I do, sharing, permissions, nothing seems to work and I am signed on as an Administrator.

And from what I can tell, once the show is downloaded from the TiVo, the software won't delete it from TiVo (I thought that was one of the perks when you upgrade)? It looks like it might convert it to something playable on iPad / iPhone (does it delete the original)? I have software that does convert the .TIVO to a .WMV (or something similar). I have an old iPad but never use it (mainly Windows here). Android has me testing some of their products but I am not happy with them.

Or maybe a program that will automatically convert the .TIVO files to M

The two TiVos, the computers and NSA325 are all hard wired. The other computer is an old one and I am thinking of putting *NIX on it ..

The TV / Roku / Samsung BluRay upstairs is wireless and we just recently got a new router - it is made by Apple it seems. I know the BluRay player sees the NSA325 and there might be a channel for the Roku to see it

Thank you!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Check out this thread on using symbolic links to get around TiVo Desktop's lockout of network shares.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybryant View Post
Before it was just plus, I was storing the shows to an external USB Drive. I went into my network settings and created a drive (J to point to a specific folder on Windows 7 32bit. This one has 1TB RAID HD. I know that is a lot - and we could probably use this one (but the NSA325 already is seen as a media server).

However, I cannot seem to get that done now - point the folder to the Zyxel NSA325 with two 3G hard drives I think (they were in the process of allowing it to support more). Everything that I do, sharing, permissions, nothing seems to work and I am signed on as an Administrator.

And from what I can tell, once the show is downloaded from the TiVo, the software won't delete it from TiVo (I thought that was one of the perks when you upgrade)? It looks like it might convert it to something playable on iPad / iPhone (does it delete the original)? I have software that does convert the .TIVO to a .WMV (or something similar). I have an old iPad but never use it (mainly Windows here). Android has me testing some of their products but I am not happy with them.

Or maybe a program that will automatically convert the .TIVO files to M

The two TiVos, the computers and NSA325 are all hard wired. The other computer is an old one and I am thinking of putting *NIX on it ..

The TV / Roku / Samsung BluRay upstairs is wireless and we just recently got a new router - it is made by Apple it seems. I know the BluRay player sees the NSA325 and there might be a channel for the Roku to see it

Thank you!
If the Windows computer on which you are running Desktop can see that NAS thing in Explorer (not the browser, the thing with which they replaced File Manager when they brought out Windows 95), then drag a shortcut to it into the My Tivo Recordings folder.

This will, however, mean that if the NAS is not available you'll have to temporarily delete the shortcut to it from the MTR folder for Desktop not to choke when you open it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
OK. I have T:\ which points to \\NSA325\video\Tivo

I tried to point TiVo to T:\ (like before) and it wouldn't. So thru the Admin DOS I enter:
Code:
mklink /j “C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings” “T:\”
I pretty much have what gthassell has in Can't select Network Drive anymore as My Tivo Recordings folder.
But it won't let me select T:\. I did not want to do the DOS prompt until I was sure. Especially if I needed to have another TiVo folder in there. Or if I should go to \\NSA325\video and then create a TiVo folder

If I remember right, the Desktop created another TiVo folder

Or what malaplan did with the registry.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: png nsa325-tivo.png (12.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just noticed something else.. it has unix. Does that matter with this one?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
OK. I have T:\ which points to \\NSA325\video\Tivo

I tried to point TiVo to T:\ (like before) and it wouldn't. So thru the Admin DOS I enter:
Code:
mklink /j “C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings” “T:\”
I pretty much have what gthassell has in Can't select Network Drive anymore as My Tivo Recordings folder.
But it won't let me select T:\. I did not want to do the DOS prompt until I was sure. Especially if I needed to have another TiVo folder in there. Or if I should go to \\NSA325\video and then create a TiVo folder

If I remember right, the Desktop created another TiVo folder

Or what malaplan did with the registry.

Thank you!
Based on the examples in those threads I would think you want
Code:
mklink /j “C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings” “T:\Tivo”
and change T: to be \\NSA325\video\
I am not sure how finicky it is. I have never used it myself, but I remembered the thread and thought it would help you out.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well I think I am on the right track somewhat. I get an error: The syntax of the command is incorrect.
But when I use:
Code:
mklink /j "T:\" "C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings"
I get an error: The system cannot find the path specified.

I tried the junction.exe in the Systernals Suite. But I get an error:
Error creating C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

I think I will keep the .TIVO files on this computer - maybe install the media server or something so (if I convert them) they can be played
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
unitron

You can go into preferences on Desktop and tell it where you want the MTR folder to be.

Apparently it has to be on a partition on a drive connected to the PC running Desktop, although that should include drives connected via USB or whatever, as long as Windows gives it a drive letter.

Then go into Explorer, go down to (in XP, I wouldn't put it past them to have changed the name in later versions--they love screwing with people that way) Network Units, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network, and whatever you've got in there for a workgroup or possibly domain name, and find your NAS listed there, and left click to select, right click, hold, and drag to your MTR folder, and click Create Shortcut.

When you copy from the TiVo to the PC it'll go into the MTR folder, whereever you put it, so set aside a decent sized NT partition for it, and then copy the shows from there to the NAS (where you can have folders and sort them by however you want to group them.

Then on the TiVo when you go into the NPL and go to the bottom, the computer name will be there as a folder, which is really the MTR folder on the PC, but inside that folder will be a folder which is the shortcut to the NAS, and inside that folder will be any sub-folders on the NAS (so you might want to make that shortcut to a specific folder on the NAS, call it TiVoShows or something) and you can go down however many levels you need to until you get to the shows themselves, i.e., the .tivo files.

No Unix involved.

As far as I know Desktop won't let you copy shows from the TiVo to anywhere except one of the PC's local drives (unless you know a way to trick Windows into thinking something is a local drive when it isn't, and if you do, then tell me how it's done), but from there you can put the files elsewhere and make it look to the TiVo like the files are still on the PC.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sorry, when I said UNIX - I was referring to the NSA - when I went back to look at the permissions, it said UNIX, so I don't know if the Desktop can handle that

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, dinner

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Sorry, when I said UNIX - I was referring to the NSA - when I went back to look at the permissions, it said UNIX, so I don't know if the Desktop can handle that

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, dinner

Thanks again!
Well, if the NSA has hacked your NAS, I'm not sure I'd know how to fix that.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Well I think I am on the right track somewhat. I get an error: The syntax of the command is incorrect.
But when I use:
Code:
mklink /j "T:\" "C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings"
I get an error: The system cannot find the path specified.

I tried the junction.exe in the Systernals Suite. But I get an error:
Error creating C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings:

I think I will keep the .TIVO files on this computer - maybe install the media server or something so (if I convert them) they can be played
Try using a new directory name on your local PC. Once it creates that, then go into TiVo Desktop and point at the newly created "magic" folder on the PC this really out on the NAS.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
Try using a new directory name on your local PC. Once it creates that, then go into TiVo Desktop and point at the newly created "magic" folder on the PC this really out on the NAS.
I thought about that as well. OK will do.. but I am wondering though, since the NSA325 is a UNIX media server, would it be better the if I convert the shows to play (like WMV or something) and have them saved to that? Or have the Desktop software convert to iPad and then convert to something that can be played on a unit?

The NSA325 can be accessed from outside the home, the PSP, and the Sony (or Samsung) BluRay player. And probably the Roku, I just need to see if there is a channel.

The one problem I ran into once - because I had so many programs and scrolling down was difficult, it was recommended that I create sub-folders. I copied some of the .TIVO files in there, but thru the Series 2 & 3, it saw the folders but it did not see the .TIVO files.

And I guessing that when I create this new folder and then copy the .TIVO files over to the NSA325, will they show up?
Old 11-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Can't you just give the NAS a drive letter and then hack the regkey for the location?
I could swear I've done that in the past and it worked without issue.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, it had a drive name on the free one (I swear too ) I finally found the old .TIVO on the USB drive - I had created a folder on it and then mapped a drive to it - easily pointed the software. But even on this one, I gave it a drive and it did not work. I don't know if it doesn't work because it is it connected a different way.

I have not had the chance to see if this works but this is what I tried and this is what DOS / SysTernals was happy.
Code:
C:\Windows\System32>mklink /j "C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recording" "T:\"
The syntax of the command is incorrect.
C:\Windows\System32>mklink /j "T:\" "C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recording"
The system cannot find the path specified.
I did not have the C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recording created.
Code:
C:\Windows\System32>mklink /j "T:\" "C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo"

C:\Windows\System32>mklink /j "T:" "C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo"
C:\Windows\System32>mklink /j "T:\Tivo" "C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo"
On these two, I did have C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo created and the T:\Tivo
I switched over to the junctions and tried:
Code:
C:\Users\coreybryant\Downloads>junction -q -s "C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo" "T:\Tivo"
But that created an error:
Error creating C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo:
I deleted the Tivo folders and
Code:
C:\Users\coreybryant\Downloads>junction -q -s "C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo" "T:\Tivo"
Then I did receive this confirmation:

Junction v1.06 - Windows junction creator and reparse point viewer
Copyright (C) 2000-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Created: C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo
Targetted at: T:\Tivo

Now I am hoping / guessing that I point to C:\Users\coreybryant\Videos\Tivo and the .TIVO will be stored on T:\Tivo

And to copy those files I am guessing robocopy is probably better. It has something called Twonky already and it is compatible with Roku. Just been taking everything one step at a time.
C:\Users\coreybryant\Downloads>
Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
That did not seem to work, when I pointed to the location on C I received this error:

So I guess I will keep them on the Windows 32bit and maybe use a program to batch / convert copy to the NSA. I have one program that I know will convert. I also have the Adobe Suite if that converts - I imagine it would work across the networks
Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'll ask again, did you try the regkey hack?
In the old days before symbolic links that was how we pointed Tivo desktop to network shares.

HK_Current_User>Software > Tivo > Desktop > Modules > TivoNowPlaying > Config and then LocalRootPath
Provided that you're already giving the NAS a drive letter already.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #17
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
When I tried that, I paused the server - and went into the Registry. Closed the Registry and restarted TiVo. Then when I went to File - Preferences .. instead of the Preferences dialog box opening the Browse for Folder opened - pointing to T:\. Then it closed and Preferences dialog box opened with the C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings back in the location.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
When I tried that, I paused the server - and went into the Registry. Closed the Registry and restarted TiVo. Then when I went to File - Preferences .. instead of the Preferences dialog box opening the Browse for Folder opened - pointing to T:\. Then it closed and Preferences dialog box opened with the C:\Users\coreybryant\Documents\My TiVo Recordings back in the location.
Interesting, way back when it didn't used to do that.. but I can duplicate what you're seeing here.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #19
jcthorne

Have you considered kmttg instead of TiVo desktop? It will easily do everything you have mentioned here.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'll ask again, did you try the regkey hack?
In the old days before symbolic links that was how we pointed Tivo desktop to network shares.

HK_Current_User>Software > Tivo > Desktop > Modules > TivoNowPlaying > Config and then LocalRootPath
Provided that you're already giving the NAS a drive letter already.
Congratulations Dr. Frankenstein, you've given me just enough knowledge to make me (even more) dangerous.

Seriously, I just turned the "share" folder on my LinkStation Pro into "Drive X:" on my main PC, and then regedited LocalRootPath to point to a My TiVo Recordings folder inside the share folder, started up Desktop (which I don't usually use on this PC 'cause I've got two others as dedicated TiVo backup machines), and it works.

I downloaded a show from a TiVo and it got put on the LinkStation instead of this PC.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to turn the SATA port of the LinkStation, which currently is only hooked up to a single 500GB drive (woefully inadequate for TiVo storing), into something with a big ol' case full of 2TB drives on the other end.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Give the NAS a local drive letter.

Close Desktop.

Stop the server.

Do the regedit.

Launch Desktop.

It'll complain about the MTR folder having been changed.

Point it to the MTR folder you should have already created on the NAS, which Desktop should see as "driveletter":\My TiVo Recordings

For instance, I just tried it and Desktop now thinks the MTR folder is X:\My TiVo Recordings (where X: is actually the share folder on my LinkStation Pro), and downloads shows to there instead of the PC.

The only drawback for me is that giving it the drive letter on my main PC makes the LinkStation no longer visible to the other PCs on my network, but it was just an experiment and I don't use my main PC to run Desktop anyway, and the LinkStation is only 500GB, which is about 29.5TB too small.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Give the NAS a local drive letter.

Close Desktop.

Stop the server.

Do the regedit.

Launch Desktop.

It'll complain about the MTR folder having been changed.

Point it to the MTR folder you should have already created on the NAS, which Desktop should see as "driveletter":\My TiVo Recordings

For instance, I just tried it and Desktop now thinks the MTR folder is X:\My TiVo Recordings (where X: is actually the share folder on my LinkStation Pro), and downloads shows to there instead of the PC.

The only drawback for me is that giving it the drive letter on my main PC makes the LinkStation no longer visible to the other PCs on my network, but it was just an experiment and I don't use my main PC to run Desktop anyway, and the LinkStation is only 500GB, which is about 29.5TB too small.
In my case and I suspect Corey's when it pops backup the dialog will not let you select the new NAS drive letter content, I wonder if a reboot may have resolved it and ignored the app. This is a new behavior, it didn't used to do this several versions ago.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #23
unitron

Quote:
In my case and I suspect Corey's when it pops backup the dialog will not let you select the new NAS drive letter content, I wonder if a reboot may have resolved it and ignored the app. This is a new behavior, it didn't used to do this several versions ago.
Okay, the machine I tested on, my main PC on which I'm writing this at this very moment, has Desktop installed, but I don't actually use it on this machine, so, after a reboot the other day following an XP update from MS, Desktop had not been run since the reboot until after I made the share folder on my Link Station drive X: and did the regedit.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #24
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Have you considered kmttg instead of TiVo desktop? It will easily do everything you have mentioned here.
I tried the kmtgg once and it just did not go to well. I don't know exactly what happened but it never seemed happy. I wonder if it will seem happy now?
I think it was my installation was where I has problems.
Quote:
Well I guess that helps to prove my memory is still intact there. I think I have the free version - I never delete anything and I would be interested in trying it on this to see if it is works.

But I will trying to get down there - stop the service, change the location and reboot to see what happens.

Thank you!