TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Recording scheduled on "other" Tivo - feature or bug?

I have two XL4s, and sometimes I'll swear I recorded something on Tivo "A" only to find it has actually recorded on Tivo "B". This has taken me by surprise a few times and I think I've finally figured out the (or at least one) cause of it - I just can't decide if it's a feature or a bug. I don't think this is related to the recent update, it's been happening for a while.

To reproduce:
  • go to "My Shows" on Tivo A
  • scroll to the bottom, press select to get to the NPL for Tivo B
  • press "Guide"
  • pick anything and press record (or Info)
  • select "Season Pass & other options"
  • note that it shows the name of Tivo B at the top, and indeed if you choose "Record this episode" it will be recorded on Tivo B

The main reason this seems like a bug is if you just select "Record this Episode" from the first screen after hitting record, it records on Tivo A, not B. There's also no indication that you're operating on Tivo B in the Guide - and in fact I'm 99% sure it's showing me the channel list on Tivo A (they're slightly out of sync).

There's also no apparent way to change the Tivo on the "Recording options" screen, so is there any other way to access this "feature"? I haven't tried it yet on my Minis but it would be handy there (since they are paired to B but I'd like to record on A).

This situation seems to persist until I go back to the Tivo menu, then it goes back to recording on Tivo A as expected.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
andyf

I've seen this too. Definitely a bug, although others may consider it a cool feature.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
chiguy50

I appreciate the ability to select a show to record on TiVo "B" from TiVo "A" but, like the OP, I am not clear on the parameters for this feature and usually find myself double-checking to verify where the scheduled recording was registered. Assuming this operation is functioning by design, I would love to hear an explanation of how to properly access the "record on another TiVo" feature.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I consider it a feature, but one that needs more documentation and warning. It's nice to have a way to easily set up a recording on a TiVo in a different part of the house (aside from app and PC ways, since i normally think of the need while using the TiVo in front of me.)
Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

While I do consider it a feature, I don't like the convolution that one must go through to record on another unit. Sometimes I may not want to record in another room yet I had left the Whats Showing parked on the other TiVo making me abandon the action and go back into What's Showing and move up or down. Then there is the situation where I want to record something but there is a conflict it is at this point I wish there was a simple way to choose which unit I wanted it to record.
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
ok, always good to see i'm not crazy.

it is a useful bit of functionality, but the lack of any reasonable UI (or documentation) makes it seem like it's unintentional, or maybe they started working on it and never finished, etc.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote