TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
sandycityscott

Angry TiVo N Adaptor Bricked after Fall 2013 Update

My wireless N adaptor would no longer connect after the upgrade... I reset the adaptor and tried to log into it at 192.168.10.1... but it's not home. Won't connect via WiFi Protected setup either. Appears to be bricked.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

How did you reset it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivo.com
How do I reset my adapter to factory default settings?

The TiVo Wireless N Adapter must remain plugged in. Use a paper clip to gently press the Reset button on the bottom of the adapter until the power LED turns amber, then release. The adapter will restart with its factory default settings. If you need to reconfigure your adapter, you will need to reset the device first.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
telemark

What are the LED's doing? Also what's the Client-Bridge switch set to?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
sandycityscott

I reset it using a paperclip and the small hole in the bottom. How do YOU usually do it?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
sandycityscott

I'm using "client" mode. I believe "bridge" mode is only when you want to use to of the TiVo 'N' adapters together to bridge from the router. The LED signal bars just blink blue, and never find my 5GHz network. Tried to sync with my 2GHz, but it doesn't find that anymore, either. I was able to admin it from my computer, and set it up with my network. Works until I plug it into the TiVo.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
xbr23

try switching the network connection on the Tivo box. ask it to connect to Moca and let that time out and then tell it to use the ethernet.

just throwing out ideas. i have been tinkering with my home network and Tivo's can be a PITA.
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
telemark

Oh, if you can get into the adapter via computer, it's not quite bricked.

Could you see what software version it's running? I wanted to understand if Tivo updated the firmware on the adapters at the same time as the roll out.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycityscott View Post
I'm using "client" mode. I believe "bridge" mode is only when you want to use to of the TiVo 'N' adapters together to bridge from the router. The LED signal bars just blink blue, and never find my 5GHz network. Tried to sync with my 2GHz, but it doesn't find that anymore, either. I was able to admin it from my computer, and set it up with my network. Works until I plug it into the TiVo.
I found this section very helpful. I moved and the router had its firmware changed. The blinking blue signal LED is explained:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1590

I used a laptop with Win7 and wireless disabled to run the configuration program. I just selected the correct SSID and the device works fine now. I verified the TiVo port by running 100' CAT-5 cable to a router switch port.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
DogsOfWarandPeac

My wireless N adapter wasn't bricked after the update, but it did not work after the update until I did a reset using the button on the bottom and entering the wifi network settings again via an attached computer.
DogsOfWarandPeac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsOfWarandPeac View Post
My wireless N adapter wasn't bricked after the update, but it did not work after the update until I did a reset using the button on the bottom and entering the wifi network settings again via an attached computer.
Unless TiVo also updated the firmware in the N adapter this TiVo update should have not changed things unless your TiVo will not now connect directly with a RJ45 cable form the router (a test you should make if possible), as that all the N adapter is, is a WiFi to RJ45 converter.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Unless TiVo also updated the firmware in the N adapter this TiVo update should have not changed things unless your TiVo will not now connect directly with a RJ45 cable form the router (a test you should make if possible), as that all the N adapter is, is a WiFi to RJ45 converter.
Sure it shouldn't cause problems for something connected via an Ethernet cable, but the fact remains that it did and the problems started immediately following the TiVo update. I have two Premeire units that were both updated and only the one connected via the wireless N adapter had problems, the one physically wired into my network had no problems.

I did quite a bit of troubleshooting and other ways of fixing the problem before resetting the N adapter. The problems only disappeared after the adapter reset.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
srm59
Tivologist

Question

I've tried resetting my N adapter and still have problems connecting. It connects to the Tivo Server but then craps out while downloading with an N11 error code saying the internet connection was interrupted. I'm thinking it must be something on the Tivo side with their server timing out for some reason.

I'm going to try to reset the adapter again and see if the firmware is up to date.
srm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Coffee

Try using a different computer. One thing that can cause that problem is if you get a "do you want to set this "new" network connection as home/public network" pop-up on your computer and you don't answer the question. You have to set it up as "home" or it will be blocked.

Also, when you connect the ethernet cable, your computer should respond, saying that it has found a new network connection. If it does not, there may be something wrong with how it's connected, or with the ethernet connection.

Not being able to find the network adapter is a common problem that almost always has a solution.

Last edited by Coffee : 11-18-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Network Nxx errors can be resolved by adding the router's IP address to the Gateway and DNS server. N133/C133 errors is on the Tivo's server side and can only resolve on that end.

~~~~~

Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
srm59
Tivologist

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm59 View Post
I've tried resetting my N adapter and still have problems connecting. It connects to the Tivo Server but then craps out while downloading with an N11 error code saying the internet connection was interrupted. I'm thinking it must be something on the Tivo side with their server timing out for some reason.

I'm going to try to reset the adapter again and see if the firmware is up to date.
Well, I've tried just about everything I can think of short of running a CAT5 wire to my router. I've reset the adapter, the Tivo box and even my network. I've assigned a static IP to the Tivo box and still, the furthest I get is that the info starts downloading and then stops with the excuse that the connection was interrupted. I haven't had this much trouble since 1988trying to download a file on AOL.

I still think it has to do with the Fall Update. It was strange that it was pushed during Prime Time on Saturday night. I wonder if a file was corrupted because my network is fine and the Tivo was working well up until that point. I wish I could rollback the update.

UPDATE:
Well, I tried something different. I connected the adapter to an alternate network to see what would happen. To my surprise, it completed the download and is now finishing up. I hope that this shakes out the gremlins so when I connect it back to my main network it will work again.

Last edited by srm59 : 11-18-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #16
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm59 View Post
UPDATE:
Well, I tried something different. I connected the adapter to an alternate network to see what would happen. To my surprise, it completed the download and is now finishing up. I hope that this shakes out the gremlins so when I connect it back to my main network it will work again.
My money goes that it still fails. Speculation: when connecting to the new router it found a new SSID it liked and configured itself. When using the paper clip to perform the factory reset do you wait for the LED to change color? Anyhow, I wish you luck.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #17
srm59
Tivologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
My money goes that it still fails. Speculation: when connecting to the new router it found a new SSID it liked and configured itself. When using the paper clip to perform the factory reset do you wait for the LED to change color? Anyhow, I wish you luck.
Well, it worked for a day but then started to fail again. So, back to the drawing board.

When I reset the adapter, the lights switched to just the red power light. Then connected to my PC, I ran the set up to switch the SSID back to my home router. I gave the Tivo top priority on the network and set it to a static IP. I'm thinking it's something on my network but can't figure out what. I don't have any ports blocked and when I run the Tivo diagnostics, it passes the TCP and DNS tests and passes the network connection test, so it is still a puzzle.

Last edited by srm59 : 11-21-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
DogsOfWarandPeac

Try forcing the N adapter to connect to a 2.4 GHz network and see if that helps. Then try forcing it to 5GHz. It helps rule that out frequency as an issue (which can be a problem caused by walls, cordless phones, microwaves, etc.). If you give your 2.4 and 5GHz networks different SSIDs that will make the process easier.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I am having the exact same problem with my N adapter. It worked flawlessly until the latest update, and now it fails with 'Connection Interrupted' or "Failed while configuring'.

The other option, Test Internet Connection, works fine.

Did all the usuals, reset the adapter, rebooted Tivo, reprogrammed adapter by connecting it to the PC, changed from 2.4GHz to 5GHz, etc.

So frustrating.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
DogsOfWarandPeac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I am having the exact same problem with my N adapter. It worked flawlessly until the latest update, and now it fails with 'Connection Interrupted' or "Failed while configuring'.

The other option, Test Internet Connection, works fine.

Did all the usuals, reset the adapter, rebooted Tivo, reprogrammed adapter by connecting it to the PC, changed from 2.4GHz to 5GHz, etc.

So frustrating.
Try setting a static IP address on the adapter.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsOfWarandPeac View Post
Try setting a static IP address on the adapter.
Hey, that worked! It is now connecting using a static IP address.

I also had to go into my router setup and turn off DHCP, reboot it, and then turn DHCP back on. This removed the Wireless Tivo entry from the DHCP list, and now it is connecting with no problems.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
MACCTVO

Same issue with N-adapter

I've had the same issue since the recent update. I get Error C133. I've tried most everything, including setting a static IP. The only thing that seems to work is to reboot my Comcast Gateway. I have at least 6 other computers and other devices on this gateway and none have any problems ... only the TIVO. I'm pretty convinced that there's something with the updated software, since this began within 24 hours of the update.

BTW in the past few days I got the error and couldn't access anything that needed the Internet, but the problem cleared by itself in an hour or so.

I'm still watching and hoping for a fix.
MACCTVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #23
gls84

Reset and configure fixed mine

My wireless N adapter wouldn't work after the update, so I did a reset using the button on the bottom and reconfigured. Working now.
gls84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
mattycb

"Try setting a static IP address on the adapter."

Let me make sure I understand this. You're saying when I reset the adapter to give the ADAPTER a static IP or give the TiVo a static IP?

Matt B
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #25
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattycb View Post
"Try setting a static IP address on the adapter."

Let me make sure I understand this. You're saying when I reset the adapter to give the ADAPTER a static IP or give the TiVo a static IP?
You would be assigning a static IP to the MAC of the adapter or if by ethernet alone, the MAC of the Tivo (from the router). Or, set it in the adapter when its hooked to a computer, Tivo via ethernet cable.

I assign static IPs through my router using the connecting device's MAC address. The device stays at dynamic (DHCP) IP addressing and will always get the same assigned IP. Its easier than setting each device and avoids duplicates.

~~~~~

Old 12-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
peleke12

N11 after Fall 2013 update - Open ports?

I am also getting the N11 error during 'Getting Info' on our Tivo HD. Last successful update was 11/15/2013 6:48am. I have a Linksys E4200 router which works fine with all other devices. Tivo has worked flawlessly with that router since installed in March 2013. It passes all connection tests, including the port tests. I have reset everything multiple times including resetting the N Wireless Adapter (paper clip), Tivo box, router and modem. I chatted with John at support last night and he was convinced it was a port issue, which is consistent with the N11 error message, which provides a long list of ports that must be open He didn't mention the upgrade. Has anyone else had to specifically open ports on a router for Tivo to work after the upgrade? My understanding is that all ports are open by default and I even tried turning off the firewall on the router completely. No luck. The Tivo is basically useless now, with no channel line-up, it can't record anything. Could there be an issue with the MTA on the router? It is set to the default 1500 currently. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you!

-Fred
peleke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
Donbadabon
Geocacher

For me it wasn't a port issue, it was that the TiVo had to be set to use a static IP address instead of using the DHCP to automatically assign one.

This update definitely screwed with something in the system, since a lot of us with N adapters suddenly couldn't connect after the update.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
peleke12

Tried static IP

I tried using a static IP (.108, it did use .107 from DHCP). Still get N11. I think my only option at this point is to enter all of the ports into the router and specifically enable them. Thanks!
peleke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #29
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by peleke12 View Post
I tried using a static IP (.108, it did use .107 from DHCP). Still get N11. I think my only option at this point is to enter all of the ports into the router and specifically enable them. Thanks!
Have you tried entering the router's IP into DNS and Gateway server settings?

~~~~~

Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #30
mattycb

Quote:
Originally Posted by peleke12 View Post
Could there be an issue with the MTA on the router? It is set to the default 1500 currently. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you!

-Fred
I have wondered the same thing because it behaves like a timeout, not an immediate connection error. I have not played with the router time parameters but that may be my next step. Setting the N adapter to static ip from within the router did not help.

Matt B
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattycb is offline   Reply With Quote