TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
crowfan
The Dude abides

TiVo remote does not control receiver power

Have a TiVo HD on software 11.0m-01-2-652 with an Onkyo receiver. I'm using a standard TiVo peanut rewrote.

The screens on the TiVo only say that the remote can control AV volume and mute (no mention of receiver power), but can't it control receiver power as well? No matter what code I try, it only controls volume and mute but never the receiver power. What am I missing?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
worachj

Yes it can, I've done it using a regular remote for my S3 and stereo receiver. You need to find the codes for your TV and stereo receiver under the remote setup screens.

Go to the remote setup section under settings.
a) Perform Part 1 to set up control for your TV.
b) Perform Part 2 to set up volume control for your receiver. (Remember the receiver code you just used)
c) Now perform Part 1 again but this time use the code for your receiver. It will now set up the on/off power for your TV and stereo receiver.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Yes it can, I've done it using a regular remote for my S3 and stereo receiver. You need to find the codes for your TV and stereo receiver under the remote setup screens.

Go to the remote setup section under settings.
a) Perform Part 1 to set up control for your TV.
b) Perform Part 2 to set up volume control for your receiver. (Remember the receiver code you just used)
c) Now perform Part 1 again but this time use the code for your receiver. It will now set up the on/off power for your TV and stereo receiver.
You, sir, are correct here.

I followed your instructions (thinking to myself, "I'll try it once before calling his bluff on the internet" ), and it works! For more than a year I have been looking at threads here, searching TiVo.com support pages and the internet whole, all the while unable to get the process to work.

TiVo Support pages clearly state that the standard peanut remote will not control receiver power, and that only "TiVo learning remotes" will.

Thank you.

Please excuse me while I go to finally put yet another unneeded remote away in the cabinet.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
HerronScott

There is also a problem with the Onkyo receivers (or at least the one that I have) as they use different codes for power on and power off.

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
SNJpage1

I also have an Onkyo receiver and it requires two codes. One for power on and one for power off. At first I just used the mute button to turn the sound off and leave the receiver on. Then after looking checking the out puts on my wide screen I found that the HMDI cable sends the digital sound directly to an optical out on the back with out doing any adjustments to the audio signal. I connect that to the optical input of my receiver. Now when I turn the TV off it turns the sound off going to the receiver. So the sound is off but the receiver is still on.