TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
markis

Can I stream live TV to a PC while someone else is watching?

I previously owned DirecTV Tivo units, but have switched to cable. I just bought the base Premiere model earlier this year. It's okay, more recording glitches than I'd like and not very snappy, but it beats the cable co's DVR.

I've been reading about the Roamio and just got an offer to upgrade and transfer service. I'm weighing the options between switching to the Roamio vs. keeping the Premiere and adding an HDHomerun or Ceton network tuner for an HTPC with WMC (which I already have).

Can I stream live TV directly to a PC and change channels or watch a recording while someone else is watching on the main unit without a performance hit on either end? And without a Tivo Stream box?

I'm interested in the Roamio if it can really feed a full live TV and DVR experience to two rooms/TVs at the same time from a single M-card without glitches or performance lag on either end. I'd also like to hear if the Roamio is generally more reliable than the Premiere, in terms of fewer missed recordings and random reboots.
markis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Alan_r

You cant stream to a PC at all.
You can transfer a recorded show and watch it, but no live streaming.
You can stream (in and out of home) to an iOS device.
This will not affect performance for anyone.

If you stream to an iOS device it will use one of the 6 tuners.
But dont expect to be flipping through the channels while streaming - it sets up a recording every time you stream, so theres some buffer time involved.
The stream is included in the Plus and Pro models.
Basic models only have 4 tuners and would require an external stream.

Ive never owned a Premiere, and from what I understand Im very lucky to never have had to experience it.
The common consensus is that the Roamio is so much better in every possible way.
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
If you stream to an iOS device it will use one of the 6 tuners.
According to http://blog.tivo.com/2013/06/tips-tr...mer-streaming/

Quote:
TiVo Stream will use a tuner when itís utilizing the Record & Watch feature. However, a tuner is not in use when the TiVo Stream is being used to watch pre-recorded content.
Also, without some sort of tuner card that accepts HDMI as an input, yea. You will not be able to watch TiVo stuff on your PC without downloading it through TiVo Desktop.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
markis

Well, thanks for the explanations, Alan_r and Coffee. It's so close to what I'm looking for, but not quite there. If there was Android app support matching iOS, I might have been able to run it on a PC emulator. Or an HTML5 app that runs on any browser would've worked too.

Last edited by markis : 11-18-2013 at 04:22 PM.
markis is offline   Reply With Quote