TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
type_g

CBS OFFICIALLY orders HIMYM Spin OFF spoilers ahead maybe

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Spoilers ahead i guess......

It has happened CBS has Officially ordered spin off to How I Met Your Mother and most of you already guessed as to what it will be and you are RIGHT . HOW I MET YOUR DAD
Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
cherry ghost

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510741
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

From the description I read, I wouldn't call it a spin off per se (at least in how I think of a spin off...one of the characters gets a show). All new cast, and it will be from the mother's POV this time around. I don't know if I'm up for another 9 years of waiting around for the spouses to meet
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
From the description I read, I wouldn't call it a spin off per se (at least in how I think of a spin off...one of the characters gets a show). All new cast, and it will be from the mother's POV this time around. I don't know if I'm up for another 9 years of waiting around for the spouses to meet
Spinoffs vary. A lot of shows were started or tried to start by just introducing characters into a single episode as a pilot. Can't think of any successful ones that started that way, though.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
type_g

Quote:
Exactly, probably only character that stays would be the mother obviously but like you said i don't want to see another 8 years haha. And I am sure the writers will try to be cute and show tie ins from the father side where paths crossed throughout the series which might get annoying.

But either way i am sure i will get suckered into watching it haha

Last edited by type_g : 11-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.
type_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
TonyD79

Oh. It has to be watched. To see if it is good or a train wreck.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Test

Quote:
I read that this is being rushed to get everything together for the series finale of HIMYM. Because, it's supposed to take place in the same world and we need to be introduced to the new cast in a familiar setting. Seems like they just want to continue HIMYM, but with different actors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Spinoffs vary. A lot of shows were started or tried to start by just introducing characters into a single episode as a pilot. Can't think of any successful ones that started that way, though.
I think you're talking about backdoor pilots. Where an episode of your favorite show is hijacked by a bunch of new people in a new setting and the hijinx are thinly connected to the original show, either by a character or storyline. A successful one would be Facts of Life which snuck into an episode of Diff'rent Strokes. An unsuccessful one would be Who's the Boss? and Living Dolls...well it made it to series, but didn't survive long at all. Not sure if that counts.

Spinoff would be Cheers & Frasier or Friends & Joey.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
I think you're talking about backdoor pilots. Where an episode of your favorite show is hijacked by a bunch of new people in a new setting and the hijinx are thinly connected to the original show, either by a character or storyline.
Never heard that term. The shows you sited were called spinoffs in the general media. I would assume you are using an inside term that is a subset of spinoffs.

We are general public, so we use general public terms.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

I think you're talking about backdoor pilots. Where an episode of your favorite show is hijacked by a bunch of new people in a new setting and the hijinx are thinly connected to the original show, either by a character or storyline. A successful one would be Facts of Life which snuck into an episode of Diff'rent Strokes. An unsuccessful one would be Who's the Boss? and Living Dolls...well it made it to series, but didn't survive long at all. Not sure if that counts.

Spinoff would be Cheers & Frasier or Friends & Joey.
The classic one of these was Mork & Mindy, where the Mork character was introduced on Happy Days.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Test

Quote:
Never heard that term. The shows you sited were called spinoffs in the general media. I would assume you are using an inside term that is a subset of spinoffs.

You're right, I guess any show that has any small connection to another show really is just a spinoff.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
According to the Sepinwall post from that previous thread, it's not going to be about how Ted Moseby's future wife met Ted. It's going to be about a completely different woman and a completely different set of characters. No connection to HIMYM other than maybe some similar settings and obviously some similar storylines.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Backdoor pilot is a pretty common term. Shows like CSI: Miami, CSI: NY and NCIS: LA were all launched with backdoor pilots. If you watched The Office, they made a backdoor pilot for "The Farm" that was to star Dwight and Mose taking care of the beet farm. NBC ultimately chose not to order that to series, but they still showed a good chunk of the backdoor pilot in one of the final episodes of the series.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:

"Backdoor pilots" is a fairly commonly known term, and the correct terminology for a pilot episode of a spinoff series that is actually aired as an episode of the "parent" series.

A recent example of a backdoor pilot was "The Finder," whose main characters and setting were introduced in an episode of "Bones."
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Backdoor pilot is a pretty common term. Shows like CSI: Miami, CSI: NY and NCIS: LA were all launched with backdoor pilots. If you watched The Office, they made a backdoor pilot for "The Farm" that was to star Dwight and Mose taking care of the beet farm. NBC ultimately chose not to order that to series, but they still showed a good chunk of the backdoor pilot in one of the final episodes of the series.
I know how ill people feel about Wikipedia but they have the Variety definition which says a backdoor pilot is either a standalone movie (the Fox Doctor who would be one) or a spinoff from a series with a different cast. I shortened the whole thing. I trust Variety.

Still not a common term for the layman. Sounds pretty common for the industry.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
"Backdoor pilots" is a fairly commonly known term, and the correct terminology for a pilot episode of a spinoff series that is actually aired as an episode of the "parent" series.

A recent example of a backdoor pilot was "The Finder," whose main characters and setting were introduced in an episode of "Bones."
Yes, I was going to mention The Finder as a recent example, but I figured that since The Finder basically crashed and burned, most people wouldn't recognize it.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Yes, I was going to mention The Finder as a recent example, but I figured that since The Finder basically crashed and burned, most people wouldn't recognize it.
Further back didn't NCIS get started with a 2-parter JAG episode (backdoor pilot) where they introduced the NCIS crew?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Further back didn't NCIS get started with a 2-parter JAG episode (backdoor pilot) where they introduced the NCIS crew?
I believe that is correct.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #18
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
The classic one of these was Mork & Mindy, where the Mork character was introduced on Happy Days.
Or Laverne and Shirley, who were introduced on Happy Days.

Or Happy Days, introduced on Love American Style.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
AFAIK, that was NOT a backdoor pilot. It was just an incredibly *weird* episode of Happy Days, that, because of its popularity, was turned into a spinoff.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
A lot of shows were started or tried to start by just introducing characters into a single episode as a pilot. Can't think of any successful ones that started that way, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
That seems like a pretty successful example...
Amnesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The best example of a "backdoor pilot" is when you have one (or more) character deciding to fly/drive/walk/etc. to another setting (city, state, country, house, whatever), encounter a whole new set of people in this new setting, then the episode involves them and the main character(s) we know ends up being somewhat superfluous to the episode.

TVTropes.com refers to this as a Poorly Disguised Pilot trope and has a list on that page.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
smak
TV MA SLV

I think the difference between a spinoff and a backdoor pilot, is a spinoff is unplanned when the characters first appear on the original show, and a backdoor pilot is planned ahead of time as a possible new show with those characters.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Ozzie72

Quote:
Another unsuccessful back-door pilot: Assignment: Earth, which was a 2nd-season episode of Star Trek.
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #24
Ozzie72

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Or Laverne and Shirley, who were introduced on Happy Days. Or Happy Days, introduced on Love American Style.
/golf clap
Ozzie72 is offline   Reply With Quote