TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
NJ Webel

Wondering if it's worth it?

I have the following Tivos:
  • two S3 OLED Tivos
  • a 2-tuner Premiere XL.

All three have lifetime. I have upgraded the hard drives on both the S3s to 2T, and also replaced the power supply (bulging caps) with Weaknees replacements. All three units are working perfectly.

I am wondering if it would be worth it to sell all three, and replace them with one Roamio (the base model, as I am OTA only) and also two mini's. What would be the pros and cons of such a move? Is it worth it to try to get something out of the aging equipment while I can, and upgrade? What say you all?
NJ Webel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
synch22

SOld my S3 OLED 150 hrs w lifetime. $250 (weeks ago)
HD w Lifetime base. $230

Depends on your area, took a while on craigslist but buyers eventually appeared. Anywhere from $225-250

I did a roamio $399 model w lifetime and 2 minis running over COAX. Expensive yes but not looking back great upgrade.
synch22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
atmuscarella

I replaced an original Series 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere (5.25TB storage total that is all nearly full) with a new Roamio used for OTA only, but I only have 1 TV and didn't need any minis. 4 tuners is enough tuners for me for recording and I didn't even bother upgrading the hard drive as it is very easy (and fast) to move shows off the Roamio onto one of my 2 computers for longer term storage. I likely will not be able to sell my old TiVos anytime soon because I don't have enough computer storage to move everything off them (maybe I should just give up some of the shows ).

My bottom line is the Roamio is a great OTA DVR, for me it gets better reception than my Premiere and having one to do list is great. So I would go for it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well obviously the biggest con is you'd be losing 2 tuners. But the Pro is you'd be consolidating all your recordings into a single device which is a lot easier to manage. Plus you're getting the ability to stream between rooms which is WAY more convenient then using the old transfer method.

Cost wise you're probably looking at laying out a bit to. You'll probably be able to sell the two S3 units for $200-$250/ea and the Premiere for $350-$400. So best case you'd have about $900 to spend. A Roamio + 2 Minis all with lifetime will cost $1067 (priced from Amazon) plus whatever hard drive upgrade you decide to do since I assume 500GB isn't enough for you. On the plus side Roamios support drop in upgrades so you can just drop in any blank drive up to 3TB and it'll just work so that should only cost $100-150 depending on how big you go.

So basically you need to decide if you want to go through the hassle of selling your old TiVos and laying out a few hundred bucks for the whole house experience. If you were currently paying for CableCARDs in all those TiVos it would make the decision a lot easier, but you have no reoccurring monthly costs to eliminate so it's all about features and convenience.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
NJ Webel

Thanks for the info everyone! Dan, that is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for - you made it clear that (for me) it boils down to ~$1000 for a consolidated playlist and streaming between rooms versus older tech and the loss of two tuners.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
sandyjasmine

Sounds like a good plan
sandyjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
buscuitboy

Yea, everyone's needs are different. I had thought about doing the same thing. I have a 4-tuner Premiere, 2-tuner Premiere (lifetime) and two Series 3 TiVos (lifetimed). However, the two Series 3 TiVos are used in rarely used areas (basement rec room and basement guest bedroom).

Therefore, I figured simply paying the $1.50/month cable card fee for each of the Series 3 makes more economical sense right now instead of shelling out $500 for two lifetime minis. At only $3/month for my Series 3, it would essentially take 166 months/13 years to break even for the cost of two (lifetime) minis. Plus, I have 4 extra tuners to record stuff if needed (but rarely do).

Again, its ONLY because I am getting a cable card rate of $1.50/month from Comcast. If it was $5 or more per card that I hear some other cable companies charge, I would then seriously consider using minis instead too.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 11-12-2013 at 02:08 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I don't know if I would want all my eggs in one basket. If it has a mother board failure ( which is very rare ) then you might be out a lot of money with no TiVo.
Either way, it is a good idea to have your TiVo on a power backup system to protect it from getting fried. Also the cable in source protected somehow.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I don't know if I would want all my eggs in one basket. If it has a mother board failure ( which is very rare ) then you might be out a lot of money with no TiVo.
Either way, it is a good idea to have your TiVo on a power backup system to protect it from getting fried. Also the cable in source protected somehow.
3 year extended warranty is only $40. Well worth it when you're talking about a $1000 Roamio Pro with lifetime.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
3 year extended warranty is only $40. Well worth it when you're talking about a $1000 Roamio Pro with lifetime.
I would read the warranty very carefully. It seems whenever I get one I get ripped off somehow.
replaytv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I would read the warranty very carefully. It seems whenever I get one I get ripped off somehow.

Yea. I think from what I remember reading on these forums, the TiVo warranty is a one time claim. Whether you claim it on day one or the last day, it can only be used once. Unlike the warranty from Best Buy where you can have as many claims as it takes
Old 11-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Coffee

So 4 tuner Roamio device (with .5 tb) vs somewhere around 1.25 gb of storage on 3 different devices.

Assuming you've made the change:
Only gotta pay for 1 CableCARD
Only have 1 hard drive instead of 3 (easy points of failure)
HD netflix screen on all devices
Much ess cost for subscription on Mini devices

Downsides:
4 tuners spread across 3 devices carries a possibiliy of causing recording conflicts
Less storage space
If main box breaks, all 3 devices are useless until it's fixed
Required to upgrade to fully-hardwired across all devices (wireless not supported and probably not going to work)

I would recommend getting the middle model Roamio instead (if you intend to upgrade). That has a built-in MoCA adapter, so it can provide a network connection to the Mini devices. Additionally, it has a built-in Stream that is now capable of transferring out of network (to iOS devices only). You also get 6 tuners instead of 4 and the same size hard disk as your XL.

The most expensive Roamio is just the same thing, but with a bigger hard drive.

Quote:
The warranty isn't going to cover the lifetime service, but by default, the lifetime service can be transferred in an RMA at no cost if it's less than 3 years old.

Also, yes, the warranty can only be claimed once. If it is consumed, it will have to be re-purchased for the next unit.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Yea. I think from what I remember reading on these forums, the TiVo warranty is a one time claim. Whether you claim it on day one or the last day, it can only be used once. Unlike the warranty from Best Buy where you can have as many claims as it takes
Apparently BestBuy has also started the one time use thing. At least according to someone over in the Roamio forum.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post

Also, yes, the warranty can only be claimed once. If it is consumed, it will have to be re-purchased for the next unit.
It would seem the definition of warranty has acquired a certain amount of flexibility in recent years.

Or else the word is being mis-used by sellers of what are actually insurance policies.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I would recommend getting the middle model Roamio instead (if you intend to upgrade). That has a built-in MoCA adapter, so it can provide a network connection to the Mini devices. Additionally, it has a built-in Stream that is now capable of transferring out of network (to iOS devices only). You also get 6 tuners instead of 4 and the same size hard disk as your XL.
Unfortunately, none of the 6 tuners in the middle model Roamio are OTA and the OP requires OTA.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Apparently BestBuy has also started the one time use thing. At least according to someone over in the Roamio forum.
Well, it must be on ROAMIOS only cause I have an iPod that has had 2 claims on it and they told me I can STILL make another claim if needed & until the warranty ends.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Unfortunately, none of the 6 tuners in the middle model Roamio are OTA and the OP requires OTA.
Good catch on that one. I didn't see that.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
NJ Webel

Hey everyone, OP here. I wanted to let you all know I've decided to keep what I have for the foreseeable future.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Well, it must be on ROAMIOS only cause I have an iPod that has had 2 claims on it and they told me I can STILL make another claim if needed & until the warranty ends.
Maybe it has to do with when you bought it. This could be a recent change that only applies to newly purchased warranties.