I have two XL4s, and sometimes I'll swear I recorded something on Tivo "A" only to find it has actually recorded on Tivo "B". This has taken me by surprise a few times and I think I've finally figured out the (or at least one) cause of it - I just can't decide if it's a feature or a bug. I don't think this is related to the recent update, it's been happening for a while.
- go to "My Shows" on Tivo A
- scroll to the bottom, press select to get to the NPL for Tivo B
- press "Guide"
- pick anything and press record (or Info)
- select "Season Pass & other options"
- note that it shows the name of Tivo B at the top, and indeed if you choose "Record this episode" it will be recorded on Tivo B
The main reason this seems like a bug is if you just select "Record this Episode" from the first screen after hitting record, it records on Tivo A, not B. There's also no indication that you're operating on Tivo B in the Guide - and in fact I'm 99% sure it's showing me the channel list on Tivo A (they're slightly out of sync).
There's also no apparent way to change the Tivo on the "Recording options" screen, so is there any other way to access this "feature"? I haven't tried it yet on my Minis but it would be handy there (since they are paired to B but I'd like to record on A).
This situation seems to persist until I go back to the Tivo menu, then it goes back to recording on Tivo A as expected.