TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

CableCARD Pairing On Roamio

On CableCARD-equipped TiVos before Roamio, the CableCARD pairing info was stored on the hard drive. I've always made a point of paring the M-card before making my backup. That way I didn't need to call the cableCo for a re-pairing if I ever had to restore from a backup image.

With the OS now in firmware on the Roamio models, does anyone know if the CableCARD pairing data are still on the HD? Or do they now store that in flash RAM or some such?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
On CableCARD-equipped TiVos before Roamio, the CableCARD pairing info was stored on the hard drive. I've always made a point of paring the M-card before making my backup. That way I didn't need to call the cableCo for a re-pairing if I ever had to restore from a backup image.

With the OS now in firmware on the Roamio models, does anyone know if the CableCARD pairing data are still on the HD? Or do they now store that in flash RAM or some such?
A new hard drive will need to have the cable card re-paired, unless you make an exact bit for bit copy, just doing a C&D all will cause you to re-pair the cable card, BUT their are some cable co out there that will not require the re-pair, Comcast is not one of them.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
A new hard drive will need to have the cable card re-paired, unless you make an exact bit for bit copy, just doing a C&D all will cause you to re-pair the cable card, BUT their are some cable co out there that will not require the re-pair, Comcast is not one of them.
Is that still true for the Roamio's (it has always been in past hardware)? Because like the original poster said, TiVo is using a totally new method for storing the OS outside of the main hard drive so they could conceivably store the pairing information there as well.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Coffee

Best way to find out is pair the CableCARD, "Clear and Delete Everything," then see if the CableCARD is still paired. I expect that it is still stored on the hard disk.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Best way to find out is pair the CableCARD, "Clear and Delete Everything," then see if the CableCARD is still paired. I expect that it is still stored on the hard disk.
It is on the hard drive.