TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Walking Dead 11/17 "Live Bait"

Great episode!

So interesting to see the Governor back and yet not the way he was.

It sort of makes more sense of what we were seeing before - I didn't realize the scene with the fire and the three tents and the walker was from...well...from last season end. Then he is left and just wanders.

The whole new dynamic of him and the three women that need him and especially him and what he is seeing Megan as his new Penny.

A big thumbs up for this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Azlen

Couldn't figure out for awhile where I have seen the actress who played Melody before. Then it hit me, she was on The Unit.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Beryl

Wasn't bad but a couple of things bugged me -

The women survived for a long time but suddenly became helpless when the Governor showed up.
After all of this time fighting walkers, they didn't figure out that you have to kill walkers with head-shots.

I still don't trust the Govenor. He didn't even give them his real name -- just picked a name he saw on a wall.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Wasn't bad but a couple of things bugged me -

The women survived for a long time but suddenly became helpless when the Governor showed up.
After all of this time fighting walkers, they didn't figure out that you have to kill walkers with head-shots.

I still don't trust the Govenor. He didn't even give them his real name -- just picked a name he saw on a wall.
I didn't see them as helpless, just not real innovative. They just holed up in the apartment and since they have the truck they didn't have to go far for food (but was the water still running?).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
MLR930
Gamer Goddess

well one thing we learned about the Governor... he doesn't like Spaghettio's I can almost see him singing the jingle "uh oh Spaghettio's" as he dumped them out the window lol

Herbalife Distributor and Wellness Coach
MLR930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Nothing like an entire episode of characters I don't give a single bit of a damn about in the least to let me take care of some emails I needed to send.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
zalusky

Was I the only one who thought The Governors new squeeze looked like Maggie whom he sexually humiliated!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Hank
AC•FTW

No, you're not! But his new squeeze is her sister (the older one, the mother). It's the younger one that looks a lot like Maggie (the rookie/trainee cop).

eta: eh, they both look like Maggie.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Beryl

The younger one, Tara, is a character that I think I'll like -- if they let her live.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I'm so glad we got away from all that prison drama! Like where this is going. At lest for the next few episodes.

I don't blame the kid for being deathly afraid of him. The way he killed her grandpa was a little over-the-top! Didn't he have a gun? Just put a pillow over his head and shoot!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
The younger one, Tara, is a character that I think I'll like -- if they let her live.
Which raises an interesting question...why does he seem to be alone when he's lurking outside the prison?

A) Something happened, and we won't find out until the next Governor flashback episode

B) Something happened, which we find out next week

C) Nothing happened, and the wimminfolk are lurking in the woods unseen behind the Guv

I found his personal dynamics interesting. It's like he realized that in his desire to build a safe community he went way off the rails in Woodbury (he admitted as much to not-Maggie, albeit in the third person), and was wondering the Earth all Caine-like, trying not to to get involved with anybody. And then he met the wimminfolk, and started to get involved, and now is torn between the good that comes from being involved with other people, and fear of the bad that seems to happen when HE gets involved with other people.

I think there's no way he can come back from what he's done, and thus no way this can end well. But will it end well because he's irredeemably evil and just can't help himself? Or will it end badly because he genuinely wants to be good, but the people who know what he's done won't accept it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
I don't blame the kid for being deathly afraid of him. The way he killed her grandpa was a little over-the-top! Didn't he have a gun? Just put a pillow over his head and shoot!
Yeah, I'm sure the kid would have been cool with THAT.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I was spoiled to the entire episode and not looking forward to it at all because I am so over 'The Governor.' But he was so not the same character that it was almost interesting
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Hoisted from the other thread:

Bad writing: in what universe does "Brian" not explain everything about the "biters": especially how their father will turn when he dies? At least he should tell the adults. That's too dangerous! But also he should explain how they're attracted to noise and they need to be quiet when they're walking on the road, etc. Those sisters were bickering like they were in the back seat on the way to the beach. And second the way the younger woman just sort of fell over for no reason and twister her ankle. Bogus.

Just a note: I know we don't discuss it here but David Morrissey was on Talking Dead this week and it was really good; he has interesting and insightful things to say about the Governor (as I guess you'd expect). Most weeks I FF through all the conversation and just watch the special behind the scenes stuff on TD but this week I ended up watching it all. If you get a chance you should record it.

Plus at the very end Chris Hardwick has a very nice moment talking about his dad who passed away suddenly a few days ago.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
One of my first thoughts as he started to finally interact with them was why doesn't he tell them about the Walkers and what they are doing wrong. I know eventually he tells the Dad about shooting them in the head but not much else.

The girls didn't know what to expect when their dad died so of course they were thrown off guard. I am wondering if he had told them all about it then dad would have said either kill me now or make sure to have a gone there when I die. He wouldn't have wanted to be a walker.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
One of my first thoughts as he started to finally interact with them was why doesn't he tell them about the Walkers and what they are doing wrong. I know eventually he tells the Dad about shooting them in the head but not much else.

The girls didn't know what to expect when their dad died so of course they were thrown off guard. I am wondering if he had told them all about it then dad would have said either kill me now or make sure to have a gone there when I die. He wouldn't have wanted to be a walker.
I think mainly he was just trying not to get involved. And ultimately failing.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

He may have taken on the name Brian based on what he read on the side of the barn(?), showing us he is no longer The Governor and just some nice guy people care about, he even gave away his gun (Rick has been carrying the same one for some time now.)
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
VegasVic
Craps Player

Rather have a new "bad guy" than the Governor round 2.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
Barmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
He may have taken on the name Brian based on what he read on the side of the barn(?), showing us he is no longer The Governor and just some nice guy people care about, he even gave away his gun (Rick has been carrying the same one for some time now.)
Also burning this family photo.

Or maybe going through the same "rebirth" Rick did.

Similarity between the new little girl and the Zombie girl from episode 1(pink robe, stuffed animal).

Carrying a revolver.

Rescue from the trench. Ricks rescue from the Tank.

Not Maggie vs real Maggie.

Tub Zombie vs Bicycle Zombie.

I'm sure there's more. The writers even had that chess scene slapping the audience into picking up symbolism. They even had the little girl draw an eye patch on the king.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Test

As they were walking down the street I was thinking about the walker Rick drove by on the side of the road in the last episode. That got me thinking if this was months earlier maybe we've seen the girls already in zombie form.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #20
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Is it possible that the Gov is outside the prison but trying to get 'in' as opposed to fighting against them. I know its far fetched.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
Hank
AC•FTW

Also, the CGI smoke on the burning down Woodbury was so fake and cheesy looking. They can do better than that.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Nothing like an entire episode of characters I don't give a single bit of a damn about in the least to let me take care of some emails I needed to send.
Agreed. Don't mind getting a little backstory on what the Governor has been up to, but an entire episode without a single other character we've ever seen before was not interesting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Wouldn't he always have a knife strapped to his belt? That seems like by far the most important thing you could do in the Zombie Apocalypse. It would have come in handy with the dead father, as well as when he went to get the O2 tanks in the old folk's home, and in the pit at the end. Someone with his experience shouldn't be stupid enough to be caught without any kind of weapon.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_HB View Post
Is it possible that the Gov is outside the prison but trying to get 'in' as opposed to fighting against them. I know its far fetched.
I don't think it is far-fetched, especially if we are supposed to believe that he cares enough about his new companions that he wants to see them safe inside those fences.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #24
sharkster

Pretty good episode with all the backstory on what the Governator's been up to lately. I'm going to have to watch again, though, as I watched it too late and was falling asleep a few times.

Some great character insight by Morrissey on TD too.

I think he cares about the kid and has kind of fallen into having her replace his daughter. IMO, chances are good that he's probably just using the adults though.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Agreed. Don't mind getting a little backstory on what the Governor has been up to, but an entire episode without a single other character we've ever seen before was not interesting to me.
+1

I am not interested in a Governor redemption story or following him at all. I was fine with him last season even when people got tired of him, but they should have wrapped things up last year. This episode left me bored and restless.

About the previews for next week:

Spoiler:
And looks like I'll be bored and restless with next week as well. Looks like another Governor only episode. Yawn.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Test

Quote:
Maybe this was our introduction to the new WD spinoff? They can call it "Hello Governor"
Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
I am not interested in a Governor redemption story or following him at all.
So this but I think they want to give this actor more air time.

However, I did enjoy meeting new the new characters and getting out of the prison. Frankly, I'd like to get out of Georgia all together.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
john4200

Quote:
Don't mind getting a little backstory on what the Governor has been up to, but an entire episode without a single other character we've ever seen before was not interesting to me.
Well, there was a couple seconds of a single other character we've seen before.

But I agree that it was boring.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Well, there was a couple seconds of a single other character we've seen before.

But I agree that it was boring.

Well, if we want to be pedantic, that same character was on in the beginning of the episode and killed the walker that crawled through the fire. But for all intents and purposes, this entire episode was The Governor and 3-4 new characters we'd never seen before.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
n548gxg

A pet peeve of mine: introducing characters that you know will die before the episode ends.

As soon as I saw the old guy with oxygen, I knew he would die and turn in the episode.
n548gxg is online now   Reply With Quote