TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #1
atomarchio

Can Premiere remove extra channels which I don't buy from Time Warner

I have TiVo premiere with Time Warner Cable in Ohio.

Is there a way to turn off the channels I don't get so my wife/kids stop trying to record programs which are not available.

We don't get any of the premium or other channels but they appear in the guide and can be selected to record.

I am thinking there must be a way to do this without individually removing each channel which would take quite a while.

Please let me know. Thank you.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
WRX09MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
I have TiVo premiere with Time Warner Cable in Ohio.

Is there a way to turn off the channels I don't get so my wife/kids stop trying to record programs which are not available.

We don't get any of the premium or other channels but they appear in the guide and can be selected to record.

I am thinking there must be a way to do this without individually removing each channel which would take quite a while.

Please let me know. Thank you.
If you go into the channels section of the menu you can remove them from there. It actually goes pretty fast and is very convenient. I really like that feature. When you bring up the guide only the channels you want are there. No more home shopping club or lifetime.
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
If you go into the channels section of the menu you can remove them from there. It actually goes pretty fast and is very convenient. I really like that feature. When you bring up the guide only the channels you want are there. No more home shopping club or lifetime.
I did see that and have tried. However, there might be a thousand channels which I don't get and would have to remove one by one.

Is there a way for Tivo to tell which channels I don't get and automatically remove them?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
JolDC

In the time it took you to write these two posts, you could be mostly done. It really is that quick. Go down the list one time, unchecking the channels you don't want to see. It might take 20 minutes one time to do 1000 channels.

To answer your specific question, no. Your cable company knows which channels you are authorized to receive but your TiVo doesn't. When you tune to a channel, your cablecard will tell the TiVo it isn't authorized. The TiVo, however, can't assume that unauthorized attempt means you don't receive that channel. If it did, it would run the risk of hiding channels you are authorized to receive but (due to a temporary problem) didn't at last tuning.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
HomeUser

I don't have Time Warner when I ran Guided Setup using Comcast then WOW when selecting your cable provider there is a question about the premium channels that you receive. Un-selecting them removes most of the channels the few remaining mostly Pay-Per-View can be removed in Settings -> Channels menu.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
I don't have Time Warner when I ran Guided Setup using Comcast then WOW when selecting your cable provider there is a question about the premium channels that you receive. Un-selecting them removes most of the channels the few remaining mostly Pay-Per-View can be removed in Settings -> Channels menu.
I did not select premium but still have tons of extra channels I don't have.

Was hoping there was an easier way to do this but guess not
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
WhiskeyTango

It's really not that difficult to do like everyone else has said. 20 minutes is a gross overestimation IMO and I highly doubt you have 1000 channels that you don't receive. It should take no more than a few minutes.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I prefer removing them in bulk from "channels you receive" since on Verizon FiOS they're grouped by package, just enter, enter, enter and you fly through them.

As others have said, it's a bit of a pain, but it's not a huge ordeal.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I prefer removing them in bulk from "channels you receive" since on Verizon FiOS they're grouped by package, just enter, enter, enter and you fly through them.

As others have said, it's a bit of a pain, but it's not a huge ordeal.
Can I do that also in bulk with Time Warner?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
Can I do that also in bulk with Time Warner?
Does TWC put the similar channels in groups numerically? if so then that's the easiest way to do it from the Channels I Receive menu.

It takes me a refreshing beverage to go through my list on a new Tivo and wipe the common things like SHO, HBO, Sports, non-English, Church, and music channels, then I switch to grid guide and sort by name and remove the SD's