TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #151
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Long ago, when smaller, less obtrusive ads appeared on TiVo, we complained and talked about the "slippery slope" -- and folks told us we were being paranoid...

Now, we have this:

Yeesh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #152
atmuscarella

Fofer:

What type of TV are you watching? Is it an old 4:3 one? The adds on mine don't appear that big and I can see the whole bar. In any event the show is paused which meas I am not watching it for some reason and if I want to look at the paused picture for some reason, it is only one button click to get rid of all of it. I get it is not optimal but really what does it matter?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #153
b_scott
TiVo Fan

they're that large with the new update. that is not a shot of the whole screen obviously - look at the 1hr getting cut off.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #154
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Fofer:

What type of TV are you watching? Is it an old 4:3 one? The adds on mine don't appear that big and I can see the whole bar. In any event the show is paused which meas I am not watching it for some reason and if I want to look at the paused picture for some reason, it is only one button click to get rid of all of it. I get it is not optimal but really what does it matter?
No, my TV's are 16:9, 1080p, etc. That's just someone else's screengrab I found on the web

The ads aren't the end of the world, but in principle they bother me. They also feel cheap and cluttered to me. I pause TV all the time and I don't like that kind of "noise" and uninteresting marketing in my face. I'll remove it whenever I can. TiVo in particular seems intent on ramming a lot of down my throat. And that's annoying, considering I already pay them for service.

I did however follow the "hack" mentioned here and now my playbar (and more importantly, the pause ads that make my eyes bleed) disappears immediately. I'll see how I like this as a workaround.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #155
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Dream on....and, to zalusky, the "premium" you pay for apps not displaying ads is a pittance. What you might have to pay to TiVo should they ever offer the option would be WAY more than a pittance...

Exactly....never gonna disappear.
Why would it need to be a high amount? You are assuming they make a LOT of ad revenue and I am very skeptical of that. Maybe someone familiar with their financials can comment.

I would be willing to bet that the total ad revenue they get from a subscriber over a 5 year period of time is less than $20. I'll gladly give them $50 to get rid of all of this crap.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #156
jrock

Just press down to hide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Long ago, when smaller, less obtrusive ads appeared on TiVo, we complained and talked about the "slippery slope" -- and folks told us we were being paranoid...

Now, we have this:

Yeesh.

jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #157
BigJimOutlaw

Not only are the pause ads large and obtrusive, Tivo has no form of rate limiting. So I get Carbonite, Bounty and Fox programming shoved in my face literally a dozen times a day even in the best case scenario of manually hiding it during EACH recording. Yeah, I love that.

The utter spammy nature of these ads is over the top. In fact, the ads are having the opposite effect of their intent. We DISlike them to the point of disliking the advertisers. They're so obtrusive and never-ending Tivo is hurting the advertiser brands in my household. I was neutral-to-positive about Carbonite before, but now I am fed up hearing about them. The usefulness of these ads was spent 2 days after they started.

Folks who are annoyed by the ads should do what I did and contact the advertisers directly and tell them how obtrusive they are and that they're hurting their brand (if you believe they are).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-14-2013 at 12:34 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #158
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock View Post
Just press down to hide!
Yeah, I knew I could do that, but I prefer to not have to do *anything* to hide an ad. Pressing a button to hide it means I've acknowledged its existence, and then the terrorists win.

I'd rather it (and the play bar too, if necessary) be hidden by default... with me having to press a button to make it appear. That fits my brain better.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #159
monkeydust

I think they should at least make Thumbs Down while an ad is up mean "Never show me this ad again"
Old 11-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #160
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Why would it need to be a high amount? You are assuming they make a LOT of ad revenue and I am very skeptical of that. Maybe someone familiar with their financials can comment.

I would be willing to bet that the total ad revenue they get from a subscriber over a 5 year period of time is less than $20. I'll gladly give them $50 to get rid of all of this crap.
I said, if you would have read carefully, "what you MIGHT have to pay"....and, if you don't think $50 (in your example) is significantly more than a few dollars to pay for an ad-free app, then I don't understand your line of thinking...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #161
tonestert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Not only are the pause ads large and obtrusive, Tivo has no form of rate limiting. So I get Carbonite, Bounty and Fox programming shoved in my face literally a dozen times a day even in the best case scenario of manually hiding it during EACH recording. Yeah, I love that.

The utter spammy nature of these ads is over the top. In fact, the ads are having the opposite effect of their intent. We DISlike them to the point of disliking the advertisers. They're so obtrusive and never-ending Tivo is hurting the advertiser brands in my household. I was neutral-to-positive about Carbonite before, but now I am fed up hearing about them. The usefulness of these ads was spent 2 days after they started.

Folks who are annoyed by the ads should do what I did and contact the advertisers directly and tell them how obtrusive they are and that they're hurting their brand (if you believe they are).
I totally agree. I wouldn't use Carbonite now even if they gave it to me for free.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #162
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
No the answer is I will pay an additional premium option not to see them!
I do that on apps for my phone and for premium cable to watch a movie straight through. I should be able to do that here.
You should be more concerned about your viewing behavior, pauses, rewinds, etc. being sold for marketing purposes. I don't believe you can opt out of this feature. My understanding is that Tivo makes quite a bit on selling this information. However, I believe all providers do this, so unless you are moving away from TV and DVR altogether, get used to it.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #163
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
You should be more concerned about your viewing behavior, pauses, rewinds, etc. being sold for marketing purposes. I don't believe you can opt out of this feature. My understanding is that Tivo makes quite a bit on selling this information. However, I believe all providers do this, so unless you are moving away from TV and DVR altogether, get used to it.
Actually that does not bother me. I understand the possible privacy issues but they say they do not sell it with individual identification.

What bothers me is them messing with my user experience.
I suppose I could by a smart remote that adds a down arrow to pause and other actions but I would rather give the money to Tivo and make them more profitable.

They should be able to look at the revenue per subscriber for these ads and come up with a opt-out model.

There are plenty of vehicles for them to make profit with in-app purchases if they start going there.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #164
s10023

Would it be acceptable for BMW to start showing popup ads on their nav screens?
s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #165
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Look at Hulu Plus, you can pay for that and still have to watch all the commercials.
Which is incredibly stupid. I have no idea why anyone would tolerate that. Having ads in content is OK, but making them unskippable on a PAID service is not.

Not directed to your post...

Anyway, we all know ads on TiVo are not going away. The issue is that they have made them much more annoying on the pause ads by making them bigger and with a larger/dark background. The immediate answer is to use the SPSP code to skip it. But complaining about them is perfectly valid. They are no longer unobtrusive and if people don't complain, it is highly probable this is just the start of them becoming even more annoying in the future.

Last edited by crxssi : 11-14-2013 at 05:48 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #166
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
Would it be acceptable for BMW to start showing popup ads on their nav screens?
My Garmin GPS on my motorcycle now has maps that are more than 2 years old and every 4th time it is powered on, they spam me with messages saying how I should PAY FOR UPDATED MAPS. There is no way to disable the message. I find it completely annoying and inappropriate. It doesn't matter that is "just one more key press", it is ANNOYING and makes me angry every time. And for that reason, I told Garmin that not only would I *NEVER* pay for updates now, I will never buy one of their products again AND I will tell everyone I know asking me about GPS products about what they did.

Same thing happened at work. We have a call accounting system and the support contract lapsed after we had been paying for 4 years. Now it has a huge red banner on all our reports saying "THIS DATA MIGHT NOT BE ACCURATE BECAUSE YOUR SUPPORT CONTACT HAS ENDED". I called them to ask them to remove it from our 100% paid software license, they said they could not. I told them not to expect us to EVER pay for support now and that we would be budgeting to replace their software at our next opportunity. I also called our distributor and told them the whole story also and posted it on a review site.

Negatively changing the functionality of something you already fully bought with nags or annoyances unless you pay for something else and without prior full disclosure is EXTORTION.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #167
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I agree that the current advertising revenue is negligible (not material) according to their financial reports. But they've always had great plans for targeted advertising. Over 10 years ago they were predicting 1/3 of their revenue would be ads.

As I've said before, my view is the target for these ads is not us, but cable company execs. They're showing cable companies the advertising potential they'll have if they choose TiVo as their company's DVR.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #168
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I think they should at least make Thumbs Down while an ad is up mean "Never show me this ad again"
Interesting idea... and one that I could live with - as long as there wasn't a constant stream of ads to replace the ones I thumbed down.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #169
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
As long as my viewing behavior is anonymous, I don't mid if TiVo makes money off of it. It's the stuff that gets in my way that pisses me off (annoying popups, gold stars and lost screen real estate).
Old 11-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #170
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I agree that the current advertising revenue is negligible (not material) according to their financial reports. But they've always had great plans for targeted advertising. Over 10 years ago they were predicting 1/3 of their revenue would be ads.

As I've said before, my view is the target for these ads is not us, but cable company execs. They're showing cable companies the advertising potential they'll have if they choose TiVo as their company's DVR.
I agree with your thought regarding TiVo "advertising" their "advertising system" to the cable companies. It's being a beta tester, by force, that bothers me.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #171
DrWeed420

Bigger Ads

The 2x larger ad bar now shown when paused may just be a sign of worse things to come in the future. The size of the ads may just continue to grow until they reach the point of taking up the full screen, which may then include multiple banner ads, links to watch video commercials, or even worse, automatically showing video commercials while you are on pause.
DrWeed420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #172
MikePA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWeed420 View Post
or even worse, automatically showing video commercials while you are on pause.
If I put the TiVo on Pause, it's because I have to leave the room, so I wouldn't call this 'even worse' since I won't see a TiVo video commercial.
MikePA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #173
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Many of us put the TiVo on pause because we're in the same room and we want to focus on something else. Like a conversation (in person or on the phone.)

Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #174
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWeed420 View Post
The 2x larger ad bar now shown when paused may just be a sign of worse things to come in the future. The size of the ads may just continue to grow until they reach the point of taking up the full screen, which may then include multiple banner ads, links to watch video commercials, or even worse, automatically showing video commercials while you are on pause.
They are going to continue to grow. It's inevitable. I really hope TiVo offers us a way out... without having to leave for good.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 AM   #175
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Many of us put the TiVo on pause because we're in the same room and we want to focus on something else. Like a conversation (in person or on the phone.)
I use pause for what you described, and also to get a better look at something onscreen.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #176
jrock

Will pressing Clear when on pause remove the ad?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #177
Goober96

Quote:
Will pressing Clear when on pause remove the ad?
Yes it does which is why it's not really as big a deal as some make it out to be.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #178
jrock

Exactly, when I hit pause to look at something I always hit clear anyways to remove the progress bar so it's no different with the ad there or not. I don't even notice them anymore.

-Joe
Old 11-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #179
Goober96

Quote:
Exactly, when I hit pause to look at something I always hit clear anyways to remove the progress bar so it's no different with the ad there or not. I don't even notice them anymore. -Joe
Better yet if you have a Harmony program CLEAR Into pause and it's still one button press. Not a big deal at all. Some people just like to complain.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #180
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Better yet if you have a Harmony program CLEAR Into pause and it's still one button press. Not a big deal at all. Some people just like to complain.
Nah, if I'm gonna do that, I'd rather just use the SPSP code. That way the solution is "remote independent." I like being able to use the original TiVo remote (or the Bluetooth Slide remote, in another room) from time to time.