TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #151
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The top graphic is also being used as an advertisement. I already saw one today. I would be shocked if Netflix changed it as it is going to let them push new content ads to users.
Right. I can understand maybe as a temporary advertisement space, but to use the entire 1/3 (or 1/2?) for that and for showing close ups of the video I don't get.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #152
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Right. I can understand maybe as a temporary advertisement space, but to use the entire 1/3 (or 1/2?) for that and for showing close ups of the video I don't get.
They are trying to make it a bit more visual to allow better discovery. Obviously a grid of cover art would be more efficient but I don't think that leads to a better experience for most people. So we may not like it but I think it is here to stay. Personally, I don't mind since the cover art used for the banner is much more detailed so it gives more visual information than before (I can't make much out using the old cover art method).
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #153
mrizzo80

New feature: you can directly initiate playback of a specific TV show episode via the "Watch Now from Netflix" functionality within the core TiVo UI. Previously that would just take you to the episode landing page in the HTML5 app (which itself was a big improvement over the Flash app that just took you to the Netflix Search screen with the show title filled in).
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #154
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
New feature: you can directly initiate playback of a specific TV show episode via the "Watch Now from Netflix" functionality within the core TiVo UI. Previously that would just take you to the episode landing page in the HTML5 app (which itself was a big improvement over the Flash app that just took you to the Netflix Search screen with the show title filled in).
Man oh man imagine how great this feature would be if they also folded in Amazon streaming, hulu/+ and Vudu?
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #155
bbrown9

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the big question for me is whether this fixes the reboot problem. I'll have to wait until I have some time with no recordings scheduled to try it out - just in case it's not fixed.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #156
jmpage2

And profiles are gone again. Gr......
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #157
jocoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Yeah, I tried it out yesterday and selected my daughter's profile so she could watch shows, and now today the profile selection is gone and its stuck on her profile. This is very frustrating.
jocoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #158
monkeydust

So, how the heck do you play a title from the beginning now? I can't find the option on shows that have already been partially viewed.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #159
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoze View Post
Yeah, I tried it out yesterday and selected my daughter's profile so she could watch shows, and now today the profile selection is gone and its stuck on her profile. This is very frustrating.
Log out of the Netflix app and then log back in again. I think that will get the main profile back.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #160
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
So, how the heck do you play a title from the beginning now? I can't find the option on shows that have already been partially viewed.
I was looking for that, too.

Another issue that has been present all along with Netflix is that there is no way to view info about the episode you're watching while you're watching it (something akin to the info button when you're watching something with the regular TiVo interface). I was hoping they would add that with the revamped UI.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #161
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
For whatever reason they omitted "Play from beginning" from the title menu. Perhaps mentally challenged people were forever choosing it and accidentally losing their bookmarks. The 3x rewind is extremely fast so you can get back to the beginning very quickly, but you might be someone who hasn't seen it and don't want to be exposed to any of it.

They also omitted the "Audio & subtitles" title menu item. You can change select those options during playback but I'd rather set it up before I start.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #162
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the big question for me is whether this fixes the reboot problem. I'll have to wait until I have some time with no recordings scheduled to try it out - just in case it's not fixed.

no, it's not fixed! I just had another reboot!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #163
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
For whatever reason they omitted "Play from beginning" from the title menu. Perhaps mentally challenged people were forever choosing it and accidentally losing their bookmarks. The 3x rewind is extremely fast so you can get back to the beginning very quickly, but you might be someone who hasn't seen it and don't want to be exposed to any of it.
The 3x rewind is not fast enough for a 2 year old who is wondering why Tinkerbell isn't playing immediately.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #164
mrizzo80

Another new feature I noticed was the TiVo jump-back and skip-ahead remote buttons now work in Netflix. I did had some trouble getting them to consistently work well, but they are supported now and hopefully a work in progress.

Something else I noticed (though no idea if this is new because I never used this feature on the old HTML5 app) is that if you let the end of episode auto-play kick in on old TV shows that have opening credits right away, the next episode will begin playback *after* the opening credits have finished. Nice feature.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #165
bbrown9

Quote:

I got word from Margret that there are more updates in early December that are intended to fix the reboot issue.

Patiently waiting....
Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #166
jwbelcher

Quote:
It be nice to know why profiles continue to be pulled. You'd expect profiles to have stayed with the new app. Are they planning to restrict profiles on Tivo?

I tried launching a program using my kids profile from our iPad using DIAL, but the Tivo app complained about not being logged in with the same account.... I guess I have to stick to using my ipad + chromecast to use profiles / netflix.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #167
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Something else I noticed (though no idea if this is new because I never used this feature on the old HTML5 app) is that if you let the end of episode auto-play kick in on old TV shows that have opening credits right away, the next episode will begin playback *after* the opening credits have finished. Nice feature.
It's been part of the Netflix "Post-play Experience" since the feature launched in mid-August 2012. If a TV series has no establishing scene at the beginning it will skip the title sequence. So many shows do begin with pre-title establishing scenes so you may not have noticed before. For example, the Law & Order, NCIS and CSI series always begin with a scene before the titles either showing the murder happening (without revealing the culprit) or showing the discovery of the murder victim(s). Most kid shows don't, for which Post-play title skipping is a good thing, saving poor parents having to endlessly listen to the title theme of Phineas and Ferb (which I actually like but don't want to hear every 22 minutes ).

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #168
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
That is bizarre. It's obviously been pulled; not only does it not ask, an option to change it should be in the menu row (along with Search, Kids, Settings and Exit) and that's gone as well. Why does it keep getting pulled from TiVo and only TiVo (I check six other platforms, two with the old HTML5 UI, and they all still have it).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #169
JC Fedorczyk

Any idea when in December for the fixes? The reboot issue is a big PITA. It's a shame too because I really like the app.
JC Fedorczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #170
bbrown9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Fedorczyk View Post
Any idea when in December for the fixes? The reboot issue is a big PITA. It's a shame too because I really like the app.
I didn't get any specific dates - just "early December".
Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #171
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I noticed another little bug; during 3X FF the red line on the scrub bar starts to flicker. Annoying but harmless.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #172
ustavio

Quote:

I just had another Netflix reboot. First one since the "New Netflix" unveiled, the UI has gone from release 6-p, to 10-p, to 16-p then 19-p. Started with profiles then....gone again. This was supposed to be fixed, then fixed again in November and now December. I don't think they know what's causing it. Or they not what the issue is.....but just can't get it to work right. This is beyond annoying.

Last edited by ustavio : 11-22-2013 at 01:45 AM.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #173
ustavio

Quote:
I didn't get any specific dates - just "early December".
It was supposed to be November, now pushed back t December. I just don't think Tivo or Netflix even know what the problem is. Either that or they know but have no clue on a fix. Previous "fixes" have helped some but created new problems for others.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #174
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
It was supposed to be November, now pushed back t December. I just don't think Tivo or Netflix even know what the problem is. Either that or they know but have no clue on a fix. Previous "fixes" have helped some but created new problems for others.
The issue, I suspect, is that there is no single "the problem" to be found. There are multiple problems, some of which have been fixed and some not. There are many slightly peculiar networks out there (whether it be ISP or LAN) and TiVo/Netflix are working their way through them. The Roamio/Mini doesn't appear to be very resilient to network problems yet.

I haven't had a Netflix reboot in a long time (30+ shows, well over a month); I think my particular problem has been solved. So they are making progress, which I realize may be both reassuring but very frustrating to you!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #175
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I've never had a Netflix reboot, as far as I can tell.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #176
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
I've never had a Netflix reboot, as far as I can tell.
Famous last words. We are now officially adding you to the Reboot Queue
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #177
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Famous last words. We are now officially adding you to the Reboot Queue
I haven't had a reboot with Netflix since the last TiVo update. I don't suspect it is a widespread problem anymore and is isolated to a few single conditions.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #178
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I haven't had a reboot with Netflix since the last TiVo update. I don't suspect it is a widespread problem anymore and is isolated to a few single conditions.
Hopefully they are narrowing it down. I just had another reboot. The second in two days. Both while recording. Both after profiles yanked. It's quite vexing. I wonder, however, how many experience this issue sporadically and/or randomly (who don't know about this forum) and just shrug it off.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #179
pgoelz

Just to add a data point.... we have had the Roamio basic (upgraded to 2TB) for a couple weeks and watch plenty of Netflix. Zero reboots.

We are connected to 30Mb/S Comcast via router and wired ethernet, if that matters. Netflix has been flawless.

We have had several C133 errors though. Never while using the Netflix player.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #180
bbrown9

Mine is also wired Ethernet.

Maybe it has something to do with time of day and how busy Netflix servers are? I watch at night - lately in the wee hours of the morning after any recordings have finished to avoid having a reboot interrupt a recording.

Or maybe there's a regional thing to it. I'm in MA.

Or ISP - I have Verizon FIOS for both cable and internet.

Or maybe it's a problem with Plus/Pro units and not basic? I have a Roamio Pro.