TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
xbr23

iPad Network, Moca weirdness, need some help

my problem: iPad cannot connect to Tivo boxes. sometimes it sees them on the network and i can almost get them talking to each other but it mostly fails.

my setup: Motorola 6782ac wireless modem with Moca. i have a Romio Pro and Premier XL4 both connected to the network via Moca. Tivo's are getting very good connections via Moca.

iPads are connected to the network via wireless. i have enabled remote control via network on both tivo boxes.

everything was working properly before i enabled the Moca network. i formerly had only a wireless network. i recently upgraded to this new Moca & wireless setup.

things i have already tried. deleting the tivo app on the iPad, rebooting and reinstalled the app. reboot the Tivo boxes. double checked the network remote setting.

consistant problem is the iPad cannot see the tivo boxes on the network, or it sees the boxes and will not accept the media access key.

i need some input, all input is greatly appreciated.
xbr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Hmmm

Reboot the router?

Getting strong enough wireless signal strength?

Congested wireless area? (Apt building/etc) maybe need to manually change wireless channel?

What version ipad? Running ios7?

Running latest version of tivo app?

Is the premier running the new software? (20.3.7)
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
xbr23

i have rebooted router. excellent wireless signal strength, iPad is on the iOS7, latest tivo app revision.

Pro and Premier are on the 20.3.7

i am thinking i might have to go with fixed IP addresses for everything and see if that helps.

total PITA
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you are getting wireless connection problems or with the speed, try change the wireless channel away from the neighboring wireless networks. Try channels 1, 6, or 11. Even though you may get good signals, interference can bog down performance on the connections.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
xbr23

wireless channels are 11 on 2.4g and 157 on 5g. Router says interference is "Acceptable" if you change the channels "Acceptable" is the best setting. some channels claimed "Severe" interference. the Moca channel is D1 or 1150 mHz

i am in a single family home with concrete block exterior walls. hard to believe there is any major interference. maybe cell phones/cell towers or cordless phones are causing the interference issues??
Old 11-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Any of those can have interference. Even Microwave Ovens, cordless landline phones, other neighboring networks on the same channels, concrete walls can block, especially with heavy rebar in them. Anything is possible.

Network channels 1, 6, 11 will "share" the channel (ie, on channel 6, share with 5 and 7) to try to reduce interference.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
ohboy710

Same issue

I have the same issue. My ipad tivo app usually tells me I am away from my home network or says unable to find tivo box but of course I'm on my home wifi. It's totally random works about 30% of the time I try. so frustrating and I have tried everything I can think of. Yesterday I opened and closed the app 4 times and on the 4th time it worked.
ohboy710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
telemark

If it worked reliably when it was all wireless, it's probably not a WiFi problem, but a MoCa, or router, or internet problem..

When it was working before, did you have the same router?

Some things to check, are the Tivo's and the iPad on the same network block?
When it's not working:
can the Tivo's reach tivo.com?
can the iPad reach tivo.com?
can the tivo's reliably talk to each other?

Do you have a PC you can run some debugging programs on?
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
ohboy710

Reboot tivo daily

So every single day my ipad says no tivo found on my network. If I reboot the tivo its fixes it for that day and then the next day it can't find it again. Quite annoying to reboot daily!
ohboy710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
xbr23

this is a New Router. i replaced the Brighthouse supplied router Moto SBG6580 with a new Motorola that is wireless and has built in Moca.

here are my connection speeds.
i am on cable modem. i use the Motorola SBG6782-ACH router with built in Moca.

i have Brighthouse Networks lightning 90mbps service.

on wired connections, i am getting 90-100mbps downloads and 10 mbps download speeds

on wireless connections, i am getting 55- 65 mbps downloads and 9-11 mbps upload speeds

on Moca connected Tivo's, i am getting TX 230- 240 and RX 230-240

i reconnected my Tivo Stream to see if that would help ( i was using Stream with my former router) .... during initial app startup, iPad sees both Tivo's, it ask me which to use. i select Roamio living room dvr, it connects... but it is controlling the bedroom XL4. if i select the dvr in the app, it no longer shows 2 tivo's, it only shows 1 available.

i have uninstalled the app and rebooted the iPad. i have rebooted every device several times including the router.

i had Brighthouse roll a truck to install a POE Moca filter yesterday. they had a lock on the box outside my home, so i had to have them install the POE filter. while the Tech was here, i had him check the signals coming to the house. all readings were good.

since others are having app issues, i think the app is buggy.

Last edited by xbr23 : 11-16-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
xbr23

update. i keep messing with the App and today it started seeing both boxes and will connect to the bedroom XL4. it sees the living room Roamio Pro and tries to connect but times out.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
xbr23

Ugh... i thought the Tivo app update fixed my issue but it continues... intermittent Tivo connections with the iPad and the Roamio Pro. my older Premier XL4 behaves for the most part. both Tivo's are connected via Moca.

come on Tivo....

Last edited by xbr23 : 11-24-2013 at 07:01 PM.