TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Andrewp75

Roamio Moca Connection question

Just ordered my Roamio Pro. looking to see if it is a good idea to get a Moca adapter for my router. My setup is one other TV with a premier box. I plan to do a lot of streaming/dowloading to iPad/iphone while off site.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewp75 View Post
Just ordered my Roamio Pro. looking to see if it is a good idea to get a Moca adapter for my router. My setup is one other TV with a premier box. I plan to do a lot of streaming/dowloading to iPad/iphone while off site.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Do you have wired ethernet where your Roamio is going? If so you can use the built in moca to create a moca network.

Is your premiere moca capible? You might not have a need for a separate moca adapter.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Andrewp75

No, I don't have any wired ethernet near the main point for the Roamio. I do have coax readily available though. As for the premier, my understanding is that they only work with Moca if I have a moca adapter on my tivo and on my router.

I guess the real questions is Roamio streaming/downloading improved with a moca connection vs wireless N connection to apple devices?

From what I can tell my optimum setup would be the following

1. POE filter at point of entry for cable to house (inside)
-is this necessary, what does it do specifically
2 MOCA bridge between router and cable from wall

3. Moca bridge between cable outlet in bedroom and Tivo premier
4. coax connection between wall and Moca port on Roamio

Alternatively I would use wifi across the board, a little concerned that I will have drastically reduced streaming/downloading speeds to idevices and that I won't be able to stream (especially premium channels) between the Roamio and the premier

Last edited by Andrewp75 : 11-15-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Andrewp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
AdamNJ

What model is your premiere? From what I can see, if you have an elite or 4 tuner model it has moca built in.

Wired ethernet or moca is going to be better for speed and also to enable the ability to hookup a Mini at some point.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

If your Premiere is the 2-tuner model, your understanding of the 2 moca adapters is correct.

Streaming/downloading to your iDevices is likely fine with the built-in wireless. The bitrate isn't that high (2.2mbps with 'Best' quality.)

But if you plan to do any streaming between DVRs though, you'll want moca for that.

The POE filter keeps your moca signal strong and secure by keeping it inside your own home. It prevents it from bleeding out into a neighbor's potentially shared coax, where they could either access your network or get interference from your moca signal. It's not necessarily mandatory but it's a good idea.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-16-2013 at 05:24 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote