TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
udkyle

Help me figure this out...

Greetings all.

So, I purchased a Tivo Series 2 back in 2004 and bought a lifetime subscription about a year after that. I used the device religiously until sometime in 2010, and long story short, left the device at my parents' house and moved on to HDTVs and HD Cable Company DVRs.

Fast forward to this week. I got my Series 2 back, plugged it in, and it still worked. I ran it through guided setup and connected to the Tivo Server and downloaded all the guide stuff.

So I started looking around to see what I could do with this device at this point, and what I keep coming around to is that the best value for an old Tivo like the Series 2 on a lifetime sub is that it makes you eligible for multi-service discounts on newer Tivo devices. I've even seen some places where depending on when you bought in, you might be able to be grandfathered in at a 6.95 per month MSD (is this accurate?)

So here's my question -- as long as my Series 2 works and connects to the Tivo server, could I go out and buy a couple Tivo Premieres on eBay and and activate them at a cheaper rate (possibly 6.95?? Also, would they offer me a reduced lifetime option?)

Messing around with the old Series 2 really rekindled my interest in Tivo and reminded me how terrible the Comcast DVRs are.
udkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

It will qualify you for MSD but not the $6.85 rate. Inly people who have been paying monthly for years are grandfathered into that. For a Premiere or Roamio the MSD rate is $12.95/mo. But you may not need a couple of them. There are Premiere units with 4 tuners and Roamio units with 6 tuners and there is a companion box called a Mini that can be used to extend the experience into another room. TiVo has really transitioned to the whole house solution over the last year.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
udkyle

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to work out some math to see if it's cost effective. Looking like it is.

Actually was able to purchase a working Premier w/ Wifi attachment for $47 including shipping.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by udkyle View Post
I've even seen some places where depending on when you bought in, you might be able to be grandfathered in at a 6.95 per month MSD (is this accurate?)

So here's my question -- as long as my Series 2 works and connects to the Tivo server, could I go out and buy a couple Tivo Premieres on eBay and and activate them at a cheaper rate (possibly 6.95?? Also, would they offer me a reduced lifetime option?)
What you'll have to pay for MSD on a new subscription today has nothing to do with when the lifetime or other qualifying subscription was purchased.
In in 2005 or 2006, Tivo increased the MSD rate from $6.95/mo to $9.95/mo. People who were already paying the lower rate have been allowed to keep that rate as long as the subscription is being kept up. Since the introduction of the S4, the MSD rate has increased to $12.99/mo, but older hardware, S3 and earlier, keep the old $9.95/mo rate.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by udkyle View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to work out some math to see if it's cost effective. Looking like it is.

Actually was able to purchase a working Premier w/ Wifi attachment for $47 including shipping.
Once you decide if you like TiVo you should take another look at a whole house solution. If you are paying for boxes on several TVs a 4-6 tuner TiVo + Minis can really save you some money. Unfortunately Minis will only work with TiVos with 4+ tuners, so a 2 tuner TiVo can not be used to host a Mini.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
udkyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Once you decide if you like TiVo you should take another look at a whole house solution. If you are paying for boxes on several TVs a 4-6 tuner TiVo + Minis can really save you some money. Unfortunately Minis will only work with TiVos with 4+ tuners, so a 2 tuner TiVo can not be used to host a Mini.
I think that's the plan. Going to go with a Premiere and a Mini.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI you can't use a 2 tuner Premiere with a Mini. It will not work. You have to have a 4 tuner Premiere or a Roamio.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
JosephB

If you got a 2 tuner premiere for $50, do the math and see if getting another one for the same price would be a better deal than upgrading to a Roamio or 4 tuner premiere + a mini.

It's a complex consideration, because to bump up to a mini-compatible DVR is probably going to be $150-200, plus $99 for the mini. However, the TiVo service fee for a mini is less than that of a Premiere, and you'd need to (presumably, if you have cable) rent a cable card for the second Premiere.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
hershey4

your S2 lifetime should get you an offer for a $200 discount on a new lifetime on a new product. However, that is probably only on a new product purchased thru tivo. I got $200 off my Premiere 4 + lifetime package earlier this year.

I had similar concerns about using/keeping my Series 2 amidst the world of HDTV. There was the idea of potential (kludgy) use of the S2 in another room, but I scratched that for the Mini option instead. Sold the S2 with lifetime for $75.
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
If you got a 2 tuner premiere for $50, do the math and see if getting another one for the same price would be a better deal than upgrading to a Roamio or 4 tuner premiere + a mini.

It's a complex consideration, because to bump up to a mini-compatible DVR is probably going to be $150-200, plus $99 for the mini. However, the TiVo service fee for a mini is less than that of a Premiere, and you'd need to (presumably, if you have cable) rent a cable card for the second Premiere.
Some Best Buys have the 4 tuner Premiere on clearence for $69. $100 for the XL4

Dan