TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
oldskoolboarder

Preventative maintenance with Expander

Just got my Premiere running and I picked up a used 1 TB Expander on CL.

I've used various Tivos over the years and this is the 1st unit that I can't self modify. As a longtime user, I'm well aware of how to check/fix HDDs. I've learned how to use SpinRite ONLY because of Tivo...

As such, I'm cautious adding the expander because I know that it has a limited life. I'll do my best to make sure this HDD has as much ventilation as possible outside of an active fan.

1) Any preventative maintenance I can do to help extend the life of the Expander?

2) Assuming this HDD will fail (since I know it will), has anyone successfully 'fixed' a failing drive with something like SpinRite? I've had multiple successes on previous HDDs in the past.

3) Has anyone ever dd'ed an Expander drive? Wondering if there's a recovery method if/when it does fail, that way I can keep the Expander/Tivo pairing in tact if I'm able to find a replacement bare HDD in the future.

4) Has anyone used an Expander for more than 4 years? I run my Tivos forever...
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder View Post
Just got my Premiere running and I picked up a used 1 TB Expander on CL.

I've used various Tivos over the years and this is the 1st unit that I can't self modify. As a longtime user, I'm well aware of how to check/fix HDDs. I've learned how to use SpinRite ONLY because of Tivo...

As such, I'm cautious adding the expander because I know that it has a limited life. I'll do my best to make sure this HDD has as much ventilation as possible outside of an active fan.

1) Any preventative maintenance I can do to help extend the life of the Expander?

2) Assuming this HDD will fail (since I know it will), has anyone successfully 'fixed' a failing drive with something like SpinRite? I've had multiple successes on previous HDDs in the past.

3) Has anyone ever dd'ed an Expander drive? Wondering if there's a recovery method if/when it does fail, that way I can keep the Expander/Tivo pairing in tact if I'm able to find a replacement bare HDD in the future.

4) Has anyone used an Expander for more than 4 years? I run my Tivos forever...
There's a rather short list of WD bare drive model numbers that the TiVo checks external drives against.

It doesn't know if you have the drive inside one of the official TiVo expander WD eSATA cases, but it knows if the drive inside is on of the few on that list.

So a replacement would have to be one of the few models on that list.

Hook the expander to a PC for extra storage and get a 2TB WD20EURS and use comer's bootable cd with version 1.04 of his jmfs program to copy the Premiere's internal 320GB or 500GB drive to it and to add another partition to expand into the rest of that 2TB.

The maximium you can get with the original internal and the biggest accepted external is 1.5TB and that doubles the chance of losing all your recordings when a drive goes bad because they're are two of them instead of one and failure of either means losing all recordings.

I've never seen anyone write in to say how happy they are that they used an external instead of embiggening the internal.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
unitron

Yes, you can connect the expander to a PC via an eSATA port on the PC or an adapter cable that's eSATA on one end and regular SATA on the other (and you could probably use an eSATA to USB adapter if such a thing exists) and use

dd

or

dd_rescue

or

ddrescue

to "Xerox" one to another drive at least as big.

I just did it to make a safety backup of one of those 1TB TiVo compatible externals so I could experiment to see if I could Xerox enough of the failing internal on someone else's S3 to save their recordings.

If I'd screwed up their external I'd have had to dd from the backup back to the external because the backup wasn't one of the models on that short list.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Um, a premiere is fairly easy to self modify, just look at the upgrade thread.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
dave13077

I have a 1TB expander on my Premiere unit. Prior to that is was connected to an HD unit. It will be 4 years old in March. It is still chugging along.

My guess is since I am bragging about it it will fail soon... ;-)
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
oldskoolboarder

dave13077, you're the first one.

Hmm, I 'thought' Premiere's couldn't be modd'ed, looks like I was wrong. Hmm, will have to look into that now.

UPDATE:

So I reviewed the thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Doesn't seem that difficult, other than finding an available tower than I can cannibalize, since my old one died. A 'concern' I have is the current warranty. This was a Tivo 'replacement' for a dying S3 so it has a full Tivo warranty, including an extension from my Visa card. Is there anything, like stickers or seals, that I need to break to remove the HDD, making it visibly obvious that I opened it? In theory, I'm copying the drive so if there is a h/w problem, I can send it back w/ the original drive.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder : 11-15-2013 at 12:56 PM.
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote