TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #61
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
He was impaled through the chest by a metal rod during that battle. He had a very long and fairly explicit death scene.

They's gots some 'splainin' to do.
The Stark Industries Torso6000®.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #62
Ment

Not like you can avoid the pub, but the first episode is tonight!
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #63
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

"Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division."

"And what does that mean to you?"

"That somebody really wanted our initials to spell 'shield.'"

Old 09-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #64
Azlen

I'm really curious to see what the initial ratings for this are going to be. I'm expecting this to be huge but you never know. Whedon doesn't have a history of getting good ratings on television.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #65
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

It does not affect me but the network is doing that screwy "let's schedule it to end at 8:01" and screw up people with DVRs who want to record other stations at 8:00.

My Dad could not get his Comcast box to record it because he was already recording the Voice and then at 8:00 wanted to record New Girl.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #66
BrettStah

Yep, that's annoying. The 5+ tuners that some newer dvr platforms have alleviate it, but those still with one or two tuners are left to suffer.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #67
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
It does not affect me but the network is doing that screwy "let's schedule it to end at 8:01" and screw up people with DVRs who want to record other stations at 8:00.

My Dad could not get his Comcast box to record it because he was already recording the Voice and then at 8:00 wanted to record New Girl.
That's why the Tivo clipping thing is so nice. But all this is ABC wanting to get an extra advertising minute attached to SHIELD. I'm sure doing that nets some additional income for the network but sure can be a PITA sometimes.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #68
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
That's why the Tivo clipping thing is so nice. But all this is ABC wanting to get an extra advertising minute attached to SHIELD. I'm sure doing that nets some additional income for the network but sure can be a PITA sometimes.
Is that why they do it? I always assumed it was so people who were watching it live would miss the first minute of shows on the other channels. Consequently, they would be more likely to stay on the channel instead of flipping.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #69
tibruk

Okay, 11 minutes in and I'm hooked.

Tib
tibruk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #70
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
"Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division."

"And what does that mean to you?"

"That somebody really wanted our initials to spell 'shield.'"
Not being argumentative for the sake of it... But I think that's one of the *less* tortured backronyms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post
Yep, that's annoying. The 5+ tuners that some newer dvr platforms have alleviate it, but those still with one or two tuners are left to suffer.
Yup, tonight I have so many shows that my 4 tuners had clipping.. of course, I TRY to put at least 1 minute of padding on both ends of all shows, so that causes part of it.. I removed padding from a few others, and moved a couple of recordings to my Tivohd.. As I've said a zillion times, if Tivo could SHARE the tuner for abutting recordings on the same channel, I would effectively DOUBLE the # of tuners I have.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #71
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

I think the show is slowly getting better. It is obvious that this is going to be a safe procedural show like NCIS and not a story driven show like Buffy or Firefly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #72
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgecon View Post
I think the show is slowly getting better. It is obvious that this is going to be a safe procedural show like NCIS and not a story driven show like Buffy or Firefly.
Verrrrrrry slowly.

Alan Sepinwall did his usual good job in detailing the problems so far with the series. I agree with every bit of it, most especially that this team does not seem so special. There's nothing especially interesting about any of these characters, nor do they seem at all remarkable -- except maybe for May, and they don't give her anything to do.

This is a real problem for episodes like this week's (12-Nov), "The Hub", where -- staying spoiler free -- we are expected to care that part of the team is danger, and also expected to believe they are so remarkable as a unit that they were never really in danger at all. Neither one of those is remotely the case, and so all the tension goes right out of the episode (which was pretty well-written in general).

Speaking of that episode, since there is no thread for it, and it's not worth starting one for this question:

Spoiler:
At the end, they didn't show the photo that May was looking at long enough for me to see who it was. Was it Skye, dead? And that's why Coulson subsequently tried to get his own file about his death?

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #73
pgogborn

Spoiler:
It was an image of somebody unidentifiable using facial recognition because they had been shot in the head.

Coulsen is a separate story arc. There is a secret that is being kept from him and he knows it - we are being led to believe it is something to do with him being dead for whatever number of seconds and surviving.

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #74
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Thanks.

Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
It was an image of somebody unidentifiable using facial recognition because they had been shot in the head.

Coulsen is a separate story arc. There is a secret that is being kept from him and he knows it - we are being led to believe it is something to do with him being dead for whatever number of seconds and surviving.
Understood about Coulson. I was beginning to think he was a moron for not understanding that something had happened to him when the show and everyone around him were making it so obvious, right to his face. So I had the thought that if that were Skye in the picture, dead, and yet here she is alive, he put two and two together and finally requested his file.

That said, my immediate reaction was that it was an unknown person in the photo. But when May said "poor girl", I started to wonder.

cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #75
Ereth

Spoiler:

I'm assuming it's Skye's Mother, who was murdered, and that's why she was left at the orphanage. The murder must've been something unusual for SHIELD to be involved, but we do know it was a SHIELD agent who left her at the orphanage, so that fits.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #76
cheesesteak
Meh.

I've gotten to the point where I can't stand Skye. Ward is bland and everything he can do May can do better and fly the plane. I've never liked either Fitz or Simmons. Hopefully, they'll find a way to make these characters more interesting.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #77
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I am warming a bit to Fitz and Simmons, particularly Simmons, but I still feel the show has been really "by the numbers" so far. It's cotton candy. Still hoping they can make it more than that; they've got the pieces they need for that. The thing is, the show isn't taking any risks. It's always doing the obvious thing. Often I can guess the next line, and the times I can't, it's only because it's a bon mot I didn't come up with, not an unexpected turn.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #78
pgogborn

I love Fitz Simmons, but I am biased.

Perhaps influenced by Skye it seems to me the unit is going rogue - if so that would make the story more intereting for me.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #79
jehma

I find Skye incredibly annoying. Ward is wooden and not charismatic. I'm so so on FitzSimmons. I find the show mostly dull, which I never would have predicted.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #80
cheesesteak
Meh.

Are FitzSimmons supposed to be a couple or just super tight friends? Every time they're together I think "Will you two just do it already."

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #81
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Are FitzSimmons supposed to be a couple or just super tight friends? Every time they're together I think "Will you two just do it already."
Wait I thought they were brother and sister...like twins or something. Are they not?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #82
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
You could have a long time to wait, They have got separate bunks and even when they were reunited after Simmons jumped out of the plane and they were sitting on Fitz's bunk Fitz kept his arms around a pillow - and then Simmons left leaving Fitz to alone on his bunk with his arms around his pillow.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #83
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Wait I thought they were brother and sister...like twins or something. Are they not?
This is what I thought, too.
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #84
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
No, one is English the other Scottish

The English one shot her supervisor in the chest.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #85
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah, he's crushing on her and she's (mostly) oblivious.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #86
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I like the show, I really do, but I can't help but get snapped out of the fantasy when they have things like two agents are being suroundedby a mob of bad guys with guns. *cut to shot of a c17 HOVERING above them*. Then in stead of running or shooting at it, the bad guys stand there dumbfounded and wait for the plane to stop, rotate around, and then turn on it's jets SUPERPOWER to blow them all away.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #87
jeepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I like the show, I really do, but I can't help but get snapped out of the fantasy when they have things like two agents are being suroundedby a mob of bad guys with guns. *cut to shot of a c17 HOVERING above them*. Then in stead of running or shooting at it, the bad guys stand there dumbfounded and wait for the plane to stop, rotate around, and then turn on it's jets SUPERPOWER to blow them all away.
So flying cars and stun guns are ok but a hovering C17 is too much?
jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #88
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
I love Fitz Simmons, but I am biased.

Perhaps influenced by Skye it seems to me the unit is going rogue - if so that would make the story more intereting for me.
Based on the last episode, the team did exactly what "The Hub" wanted them to.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #89
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Yeah, I can see that but I could also see the soldiers all getting just a little dumbfounded by a huge jet hovering over them. Might just keep them all stunned for a 10-20 seconds possibly.

But I would rather see the jet come in at slightly less then Mach 2 and scream over their heads at about 10 feet. The SHIELD agents would, of course, be "safe" since they were not directly under the plane.

Or the plane could have come done right on top of the soldiers and just sprayed them every which way...
Old 11-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #90
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepair View Post
So flying cars and stun guns are ok but a hovering C17 is too much?
I don't think it's the idea of the plane hovering that DTF was complaining about. It was the fact that the soldiers all stood around and didn't take any evasive action or trying to secure the prisoners while the plane was maneuvering into that position.