TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #91
Rohardi

quality is a little better than at first now....

Last edited by Rohardi : 11-14-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Rohardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #92
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

I just got it!! Yippeeeeee
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #93
SugarBowl

On the setup screen, it used to say mobile devices 8 of 50. Now it says 8 of 12.

How do I reset this ? We only have 2 iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #94
Bulldawg9908

Got the Stream update. Now, if only I had the Premiere update. I've emailed Margret again, but she didn't answer me the first time, so I'm not holding my breath.
Bulldawg9908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #95
Cheezmo

I also need to reset the mobile devices. I bought my stream used and 4 were used up. I wasn't concerned when it said 6 out of 50, but now it says 6 of 12 and with 4 family members with phones and iPads I may well reach the limit.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #96
untfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
I also need to reset the mobile devices. I bought my stream used and 4 were used up. I wasn't concerned when it said 6 out of 50, but now it says 6 of 12 and with 4 family members with phones and iPads I may well reach the limit.
Same Here. There used to be an option to release all clients in the previous release when you went into full system information and click on the clients tab... However that seems to have been removed with this release.

They need to provide a means to do a global release.
untfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #97
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by untfan View Post
Same Here. There used to be an option to release all clients in the previous release when you went into full system information and click on the clients tab... However that seems to have been removed with this release.

They need to provide a means to do a global release.
You can release all clients as follows. With a browser use this URL (obviously replace <StreamIP> with the Stream IP address):
http://<StreamIP>:49152/sysinfo
Click on "Service" button then use the "reset" button in front of "Streaming Client List" text.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #98
untfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You can release all clients as follows. With a browser use this URL (obviously replace <StreamIP> with the Stream IP address):
Click on "Service" button then use the "reset" button in front of "Streaming Client List" text.
I don't see that feature in the OOH Streaming release. Clicking on the service button only shows a Call Now button. If you click on the Client button you don't see any options like you did with the previous release.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #99
moyekj

Quote:
I don't see that feature in the OOH Streaming release. Clicking on the service button only shows a Call Now button. If you click on the Client button you don't see any options like you did with the previous release.
This is what I see:

EDIT: Note that I haven't actually tried the reset button so don't know if it actually works or not...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg client_reset.jpg (15.7 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by moyekj : 11-15-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #100
untfan

Quote:
This is what I see:

IMAGE REMOVED

EDIT: Note that I haven't actually tried the reset button so don't know if it actually works or not...
That's interesting... I don't see that when I click on Service - After Streaming Clients I have Last TCD Call State, then Next Service Call and the a button to Force Service Call. According to the App I am running 19.1.3b-01-6. And I have forced a couple of Service Calls since the upgrade to see if that enabled the other screen. I even deactivated and re-activated through the TiVo website but that didn't release the unused clients either.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #101
moyekj

Quote:
That's interesting... I don't see that when I click on Service - After Streaming Clients I have Last TCD Call State, then Next Service Call and the a button to Force Service Call. According to the App I am running 19.1.3b-01-6. And I have forced a couple of Service Calls since the upgrade to see if that enabled the other screen. I even deactivated and re-activated through the TiVo website but that didn't release the unused clients either.
Standalone Stream? My post from above is from integrated Roamio Pro Stream. Maybe the web pages differ a little for integrated vs standalone.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #102
gamo62

Since you have enabled OOS, how about getting it to work with H.264 content? OOS is TOTALLY useless unless you Einsteins can figure a way to get it to work with H.264.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #103
supasta

Quote:
The reset button does nothing for me. Am I doing something incorrectly?

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #104
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
The reset button does nothing for me. Am I doing something incorrectly?
As I mentioned, I never actually tried it, so apparently it doesn't do what one expects. In Javascript there are other hidden buttons and settings which if changed also don't affect anything so looks like the web pages are just for information and may have to be put in a special mode to actually effect any changes.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #105
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Yay! I've gotten the update too.

I also show 6/12 clients used and as far as I know only my iPad and iPhone are using the streaming. If any other family members are using it that'd just be 2 more iPhones... so 4... I can't reset. When I go to the IP page clients just shows a -.

Not a big deal at this point as I only have 4 possible clients, but could be a bigger issue in the future.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #106
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
When I go to the IP page clients just shows a -.
That page is only populated when you are actively streaming/downloading to the iOS App.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #107
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
That page is only populated when you are actively streaming/downloading to the iOS App.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I have stuff downloading on my iPad and sure enough, I see it and my iPhone listed. No place to delete/reset all clients, but the ability to release the ones I see.

I did set up the other 2 iPhones to use OOH streaming and my client usage still sits at 6/12. I have a feeling it may be based on how many devices have the TiVo app installed and we just recently got rid of 2 iPads... which would make it to our 6/12.

I guess I'll really start worrying if/when we get near that 12 mark... and that's not happening any time soon

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #108
apw2607

Quote:
As I mentioned, I never actually tried it, so apparently it doesn't do what one expects. In Javascript there are other hidden buttons and settings which if changed also don't affect anything so looks like the web pages are just for information and may have to be put in a special mode to actually effect any changes.
The reset, or release all clients doesn't or never worked.
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #109
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Since you have enabled OOS, how about getting it to work with H.264 content? OOS is TOTALLY useless unless you Einsteins can figure a way to get it to work with H.264.
While I understand your frustration you're in a very unique situation. The vast majority of cable companies in the US are either not using H.264 at all or only for a handful of channels, so this doesn't affect most people the way it does you.

That being said I'm surprised this still hasn't been fixed. I hope it's not a hardware limitation.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #110
skippythelizard

Long time occasional lurker here...

Just got Stream OOH update. Was at 12/50 mobile clients before update (Actual number of devices is 6).

After update, when I connected, it told me I was at my limit (new limit=12) and asked if I wanted to reset the client list. It said it could be done every 30 days and clients would automatically reconnect without losing service.

We'll see how that works in practice when my daughter gets home as she is the heaviest user of the app in our household.
skippythelizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #111
noone3000

My software version is 19.1.3b-01-6. (it isn't 19.1.3b-01-6-A94)

I can however see the Out-Of-Home menu in the Full System Information menu on the iOS, but i'm not seeing the option to enable Out of Home Streaming in the iOS app, even after making a service call and restarting the device.

Any ideas?

Update>
I checked, and my TiVo software is not up to date. I restarted one and it looks like it's installing an update.

Last edited by noone3000 : 11-15-2013 at 08:58 PM.
noone3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #112
SugarBowl

You have to click the 'setup' command for the stream.

SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #113
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
You have to click the 'setup' command for the stream.

The issue was that I had to restart both my TiVo Premiere units manually to get them to install the update they had downloaded.

I will report back the Stream quality vs. Slingbox 350 once I am back on an OOH wifi connection.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #114
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
I will report back the Stream quality vs. Slingbox 350 once I am back on an OOH wifi connection.
So far, for all of us that have done that comparison, the Sling wins hands down in terms of video quality.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #115
cmshep222

Agree on Android user's frustrations...but I just wish they could consolidate the rants to the "Where is Stream for Android???" thread. Rant away in that thread.

Why pollute every other discussion with the same re-hashed Android facts? We get it!
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #116
sandman55

I got the new Stream update the other day. 19.1.3b-01-6 I ran the Out of Home setup with no problem. The out of home checkmark was there.
Is there supposed to be Live streaming of TV with this update? The only streaming I get is when I watch a recorded show within my home network. If I try to watch a Live show it records it and then plays it back. If I am away from home, it does nothing on LTE for Live or recorded shows. (streaming over cellular not supported) I'm not exactly sure what this update is supposed to do. I have rebooted my Stream and Premiere many times.
Thanks for your input.
sandman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #117
noone3000

Quote:
So far, for all of us that have done that comparison, the Sling wins hands down in terms of video quality.
Yep. I'm testing right now, and the Sling's quality is far better than the Stream.

The Stream needs a better variable bit encoding algorithm. It seems like it just analyzes your network, and then drops the quality down two notches, and then streams at that constant bitrate. It's not good at all.

Furthermore, if you try to Download, you have to stay in the app to make it continue to download. And restart it after it stops in 5 minutes.

Why is the Sling better? Is it encoding the video with a different codec than the a Stream??

I really like the responsiveness of how the Stream works natively with the TiVos I have. But unfortunately, the video quality and download issues are kind of a deal breaker at this point.

Last edited by noone3000 : 11-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #118
moyekj

Sling is encoding to H.264 as well, but they have had years to perfect adaptive encoding. I think the TiVo Stream adaptive encoding is very simplistic and is not really adapting quickly on the fly to available bandwidth. I think part of the reason Sling can do a better job is it is also doing some video buffering so that what we are getting is a few seconds delayed and it has time to adjust real time video encoding parameters before we see it.

I'd be happy with the Stream if/once they fix OOH downloads so they don't pause every 5 minutes. Icing on the cake would be to also let downloads continue while TiVo App runs in background mode.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #119
noone3000

Quote:
Sling is encoding to H.264 as well, but they have had years to perfect adaptive encoding. I think the TiVo Stream adaptive encoding is very simplistic and is not really adapting quickly on the fly to available bandwidth. I think part of the reason Sling can do a better job is it is also doing some video buffering so that what we are getting is a few seconds delayed and it has time to adjust real time video encoding parameters before we see it.

I'd be happy with the Stream if/once they fix OOH downloads so they don't pause every 5 minutes. Icing on the cake would be to also let downloads continue while TiVo App runs in background mode.
Agreed, 100%.

I would love to be able to return the Sling 350 and the $15 iPad app.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #120
g808

Finally got the update and setup OOH streaming. Will try testing next time I'm out.