TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Elgato54

Roamio/Premiere streaming

I just upgraded from a Premiere to a Roamio Plus. I moved the Cable Card to the Roamio.
I would like to use the Premiere as a remote box. I know I can view the recorded shows on the Roamio but is there a way to view live TV from the Roamio? The Premiere no longer has a cable card so it would be nice to steal a tuner from the Roamio the way I assume the Mini does.

Thanks
Elgato54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

No, you can't do it directly.

If there's a particular show you want to watch live, you should be able to set up a recording for it on the Roamio, and then stream the recording on the Premiere (while it's still being recorded.)
Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Elgato54

I love Tivo's and they get most things right. This is just another really basic obvious thing they missed.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sell the Premiere and buy a Mini. A Mini is only $86 on Amazon. Although it's $5/mo for service or $150 for lifetime.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Elgato54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Sell the Premiere and buy a Mini. A Mini is only $86 on Amazon. Although it's $5/mo for service or $150 for lifetime.
That's what I originally planned until I saw the absolutely unreasonable total cost for the Mini. Somehow I thought there was a MSD discount for the Mini.
It looks like Premieres with Lifetime are going for around $400 on Ebay.

The Mini can both stream recordings and make use of the tuners in the Roamio, correct? However it currently does not support dynamic tuner allocation but may in the future?

Have they ever offered a sale price on Mini Lifetime?

Is Slingbox a reasonable alternative?

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgato54 View Post
That's what I originally planned until I saw the absolutely unreasonable total cost for the Mini. Somehow I thought there was a MSD discount for the Mini.

The Mini can both stream recordings and make use of the tuners in the Roamio, correct? However it currently does not support dynamic tuner allocation but may in the future?

Thanks again.
A Mini with lifetime is $86 + $150, so all in $236. You should be able to sell your Premiere for more and actually walk away ahead.

The Mini can both stream from the Roamio and borrow a tuner for live TV. And the tuner allocation IS dynamic. Always has been for the Roamio and for Premiere units they just recently started sending out an update that adds it.

I've never seen any sort of discount on lifetime service for a Mini. However it's already significantly cheaper then lifetime for a TiVo. ($150 vs $400)

No a Slingbox is not a good alternative to a Mini.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
HarperVision

Quote:

Thanks again.
Yes it uses dynamic tuner allocation now. I complained about my numerous V53/58 errors and they gave me $50 off each mini lifetime cost. I wouldn't say Slingbox is a true alternative as it will hijack your source box.

Edit: damn Dan, you always beat me to the punch!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
ltxi

Quote:
I love Tivo's and they get most things right. This is just another really basic obvious thing they missed.
The original Premiere was invented before TiVo developed/deployed the thin client option. I wouldn't expect it to be able to behave like a Mini in the first place let alone like a thin client/thick client hybrid of some sort.

And....how can can one characterize a thin client box with lifetime access to the network for the price of a moderately expensive dinner for four as "absolutely unreasonable"?

Last edited by ltxi : 11-14-2013 at 06:49 PM.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

The tuner borrowing is all software, so I'm sure they could make that work on an actual TiVo if they wanted, but it would be confusing from a user perspective as the TiVo has it's own tuners so why would it need to borrow one from another TiVo?