TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
defond

Will Netflix bring this to Premiere?

http://m.cnet.com/news/netflixs-tv-l...aking/57612072

The article mentions a new netflix app that will be the same across all devices, and they mentioned that it was deigned to work on underpowered set top boxes.

I hope we get it on Premiere.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Perhaps. There is an article from Zatz that indicated we could expect a new netflix coincidentially with the fall update. My guess is that this is it but that netflix either wanted to align with their own campaign or wait until the rollout was 100% complete before enabling.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Tivo is full of surprises sometimes.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
farmermac
Super user

So at this point the TiVo software rollout happened 2 weeks ago. Can we assume we're not getting the new faster interface?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Premiere will never be faster. It's hardware bound. But if you're referring to the new look that the Roamio has one of TiVo's cable partners announced that that's coming to the Premiere line early next year.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Premiere will never be faster. It's hardware bound. But if you're referring to the new look that the Roamio has one of TiVo's cable partners announced that that's coming to the Premiere line early next year.
for stand alone tivo's or tivo's provided by the cable company?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

They never confirmed it was coming to standalone units, but if they get it working on the MSO deployed units there is no reason not to bring it to the standalone units.

That being said it's really just a skin change. The functionality is identical and it's not going to speed anything up, so if it doesn't come it wont be a huge loss.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #8
sbiller

Quote:
They never confirmed it was coming to standalone units, but if they get it working on the MSO deployed units there is no reason not to bring it to the standalone units.

That being said it's really just a skin change. The functionality is identical and it's not going to speed anything up, so if it doesn't come it wont be a huge loss.
Netflix claims it's designed to work on lower processor power set tops so I suspect we will see this new update across all TiVo boxes.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
sbiller

Netflix commentary on improved performance with HTML5

http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/10/...ayback-ui.html

Minimize Startup time via minimal dependency on data

Browser plugins like Flash and Silverlight can take several seconds to initialize, especially on a freshly booted machine. Now that we no longer need to initialize a plugin to play content, we can begin playback faster. However, we learned a lot about quick video startup in Silverlight, and can borrow techniques we developed to make our HTML5 UI launch content even faster.

When possible, allow playback to begin without title metadata.
If we already know which title the customer has selected to play (like a specific episode or movie), we can just start playback of that title immediately. Once the user has begun to buffer content, the UI can request display metadata. Metadata for the player can be a large payload since it includes episode data (title, synopsis, predicted rating), and is personalized to the user. By delaying the retrieval of metadata, users begin streaming 500 to 1200ms sooner in real-world usage.

For other conditions, such when a customer clicks play on a TV show and we want to start playback at the last episode that they were watching, we retrieve the specific episode the user wants before starting the playback process.

Populate controls which depend on rich data as that data becomes available.
Since we can begin playback before the player UI knows anything except which title to play, the player UI needs to be resilient against missing metadata. We display a minimal number of controls while this data is being requested. These controls include play/pause, exit playback, and full-screen toggling.

We use an eventing framework to let individual components know when data state has changed, so each component can stay decoupled. Here’s an example showing how we handle an event telling us the metadata is now loaded for the title.

Ensure High Performance on all hardware

Not everyone has the latest and greatest hardware at their disposal, but this shouldn't prevent all sorts of devices from playing content on Netflix. To this end, we develop using a wide variety of hardware and test using a wide range of representative devices.

We’ve found the issues preventing great performance on low end hardware can mostly be avoided by adhering to the following best practices:

Avoid repaints and reflows whenever possible.
Reflows and repaints while playing content is quite costly to overall performance and battery life. As a result, we batch reads and writes to the DOM wherever possible. This helps us avoid accidental reflows.

Take advantage of getBoundingClientRect to determine the size of object.
This is a very fast way to get the dimensions of an object. However, it isn’t a free operation and results should be cached whenever possible.

Caching the size of objects when dragging, instead of recalculating them every time they are needed, is one such way to reduce the number of calls in quick succession.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The Premiere will never be faster. It's hardware bound.
FWIW, the latest "Fall 2013" update to my Premiere has made the HDUI feel a bit faster than before.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just used mine for a test and compared to the Roamio it's still miserable.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Netflix claims it's designed to work on lower processor power set tops so I suspect we will see this new update across all TiVo boxes.
I was referring to the TiVo UI, for some reason I didn't realize I was in a Netflix thread.

Dan
Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I just used mine for a test and compared to the Roamio it's still miserable.
Well compared to my Premiere and my Premiere only, it's faster than before, to the point where there is no sluggishness. It's actually very usable now and I'm happy with that. I used to be quite sensitive to how laggy the HDUI was on a Premiere, and now, finally, I'm not experiencing any of that, at all. Finally.

I'll be sure to NOT check out a Roamio for comparison any time soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I'll be sure to NOT check out a Roamio for comparison any time soon.
Just buy one already!

You can get a basic 4 tuner from TiVo for $175 + $400 for lifetime and you'll be able to sell your Premiere for at least $300. Then you'll be able to buy that Mini you've always wanted too.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
And lose ~1.7 TB of recordings. And the ability to tune OTA. No thanks.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
And lose ~1.7 TB of recordings. And the ability to tune OTA. No thanks.
You could skip the Mini and put the Premiere in the secondary location and continue to use it for OTA as needed. I was actually considering getting a Mini for my office but I have one channel I can not get in HD except via OTA so I decided to keep the Premiere in there just for that one channel. I can still stream shows to/from it in conjunction with my Roamio.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #17
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I've considered that for the office/gym (and thanks for thinking this through with me) but the fact of the matter is, I'm not watching enough broadcast TV these days to justify the expense (er, the opportunity cost of not selling the older box.) And the Mini's as fast as the Roamio, I hear...

Now I am wondering whatever became of the notion of using (borrowing?) a 4-Tuner Premiere for initial setup only? Afterwards would it then be usable with a 2-Tuner model? Yes, I realize I am grasping at straws here but I remain curious, if only as an academic exercise. Is there a thread that discusses this "strategy" and has anyone tried it, after DTA arrived with the Fall update?

For now I'm content with one TiVo connected to two TV's in separate rooms via HDMI and component. But the day will come when I'd want two different shows playing in each room, and then I'll have to weigh the real-world options.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Now I am wondering whatever became of the notion of using (borrowing?) a 4-Tuner Premiere for initial setup only? Afterwards would it then be usable with a 2-Tuner model? Yes, I realize I am grasping at straws here but I remain curious, if only as an academic exercise. Is there a thread that discusses this "strategy" and has anyone tried it, after DTA arrived with the Fall update?
I tried this with mine. When the host goes away it puts an error up in the discovery bar that the host is missing, similar to the one you see when the internet is down. The My Shows list is completely empty except for the links to the other TiVos on your network. Those you can still pull up and play anything from. Now I only left it in this state for a few hours. I'm not sure if there is any long term problem with this setup.

The biggest problem would be that the 4 tuner unit you "borrow" needs to be on your account or the Mini wont even get through guided setup. So it could be a bit of a PITA to actually do this. And if it stops working after a certain number of days it would be all for not.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Got it. Thanks for all the great info, as always.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

You know the Roamio Basic can record OTA right? It's an either/or choice, but if you can get all your channels via cable but you want the flexibility to cut the cord in the future then it's a good option.

Although I know you mentioned having 1.7TB of recordings stuck on your Premiere. You're in a TWC area right? Where they "protect" everything? That's probably going to be the biggest hurdle to making the switch.