TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #121
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

The new UI is up on my TiVo today, as well as my PS3. I haven't received the Roku 3 or Xbox 360 updates yet. Yes, it does feature Profiles and asks you to choose one before it starts (you can go to a menu afterwards to change to another). Hopefully it will stop asking if you choose the same one several times in a row. It's a bit different on the PS3; on the PS3 you bring up a menu with CIRCLE button and go directly to Search with TRIANGLE; on TiVo you scroll to the row above My List to see the menu. The menu includes Search (a magnifying glass), Kids, Profiles (the icon of the currently selected) and Settings (a cog); Settings is the menu you previously got to with UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT UP UP UP UP. From that menu you can see version information and run a network diagnostic, as well as log out of your Netflix account. If I had a family I think that I'd prefer that that menu remain harder to get to, though I'm sure that older kids would quickly learn how to get there. The menu on the Kids UI also contains that Settings item, which is just stupid inasmuch as you can "break" the player by logging out of your TiVo account, requiring the password to log back in. On the PS3 that menu additionally contains "Max", a useless little quiz that you can take to help you choose a title which fits your present mood; you take the quiz and it presents you with recommendations. "Max" is also available by scrolling through the library browser, a few rows down from My List.

On the PS3 you get a big content ad to begin with; mine is for Sharknado. Press OK/SELECT and it'll take you to the menu for that title; scroll down to get to My List, which is where it starts out on TiVo. The top half of the screen is always consumed by information for the currently selected title, leaving only two rows of 5 cover thumbs visible. The information is a description of the title on the left with a slideshow of three shots from the title on the right. The cover thumbs are now 16x9 shaped. Hit PLAY and it'll start playing the selection, from where you left off if you'd played it before and not finished. Hit OK/SEL and it'll bring up the title menu. The title menu, for some reason, no longer contains "Play from beginning", something I'm sure will elicit complaints. The same is true of the Xbox player and has been for years so people will probably get used to it. TV series have an item for More Episodes which puts you in a list of seasons with a set of four episodes visible on the right with a poster thumb from the episode to the left of a description; if you select a season you can slide up and down through the list of episodes. I really wish that, when you select a title that's a series, it would replace the generic description of the series with a description of the currently selected episode but they sadly didn't do that; to get that current episode description you have to drill down to More Episodes. Weirdly, you just get a second different description of the series.

During playback you can hit DOWN to see the scrub bar; hit DOWN again and you can select the Audio & Subtitles menu to change those things without pausing playback.

The stream status info overlay (this) which comes up when you press INFO (DISPLAY or SELECT on PS3) no longer contains bit rate information on TiVo so you don't know which of two 480, 720 or 1080 Super HD encodes that you're seeing. It does not completely go away when you press INFO again; the audio and subtitle (if any) lines stay (TiVo only). That "feature" is not documented by Netflix anywhere; it's their debug tool, available for use as-is. If you hit DOWN and then INFO on the TiVo then the whole overlay goes away.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 11-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #122
g808

Is the new app coming to non-Roamio boxes, at least the Premieres?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #123
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
Hasn't shown up on my Elite yet
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #124
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The most recent update for the Premieres added the ability to run HTML5 apps. As of now only the YouTube app is using it, but I assume they play to switch the Netflix app over eventually as well.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #125
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Unlikely. The Premiere's implementation of the Netflix UI is built on top of a no-longer-in-development Adobe Flash-based tool call AIR. Roamio's Netflix app runs on essentially a version of the Opera browser which contains HTML5 and the Webkit rendering engine.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #126
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The most recent update for the Premieres added the ability to run HTML5 apps. As of now only the YouTube app is using it, but I assume they play to switch the Netflix app over eventually as well.
I'm sorry--I hadn't heard that (my Premiere's been unplugged). If true then maybe. I'll have to speak with my friend at TiVo about that.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #127
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
I'm sorry--I hadn't heard that (my Premiere's been unplugged). If true then maybe. I'll have to speak with my friend at TiVo about that.
It's not maybe - it does run already. Via RPC call I was able to run HTML version of Netflix on my Premiere and Elite units with 20.3.7 software which has opera browser built in. I haven't tried today's HTML version yet but the previous one ran fine on series 4 units albeit much slower than on my Roamio Pro.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #128
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

After playing with it a little more I notice that they've retired the "Super HD" logo in the descriptions; all titles in HD are simply marked "HD". When the "Super HD" logo was there, a title marked simply "HD" was 720p-only.

I also note that they've removed the "x of y" indicator from the browser row. You used to see that the title that you've selected was "5 of 75" for example; not anymore. The genre rows continue to be 75 titles long AFAICT.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #129
mrizzo80

I like the new app so far.

Might be nice if they would add a toggle in the Settings to enable/disable the top-of-screen graphic rotation -- a single static image would be fine with me. The rotation speed is also a bit fast IMO.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #130
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
Profiles would be nice. We just signed up for Netflix with the Roamio and my profile is littered with a whole bunch of sappy chick flicks. The GF loves it and I can't find a way to remove them form my profile.
After I got done telling my GF about the update coming she was watching netflix on the mini. I noticed the update here and launched it on the Roamio. I asked her if she noticed anything new. Her response was "Yeah it has the profile screen now. I selected your name". Looks like I will have settle with a messed up profile forever.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #131
apw2607

Quote:
Unlikely. The Premiere's implementation of the Netflix UI is built on top of a no-longer-in-development Adobe Flash-based tool call AIR. Roamio's Netflix app runs on essentially a version of the Opera browser which contains HTML5 and the Webkit rendering engine.
.. and the premier struggled to run the older UI, let alone this one. The Roamio seems to handle this new UI with ease. Its a marked improvement over the old one. Much more information rich.
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #132
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
.. and the premier struggled to run the older UI, let alone this one. The Roamio seems to handle this new UI with ease. Its a marked improvement over the old one. Much more information rich.
According to the press release this new UI is actually suppose to run better on low powered hardware.

moyekj has a hack that allows him to use the new app on his Premiere, maybe he'll try it out for us and let us know how it runs.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #133
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I'm impressed that they ported the Opera platform to Premiere; that's a huge mod to be making to last gen's platform at this point. I'll have to check it out when they get Netflix up and running on it. (Since I switched to my Roamio using the Premiere is difficult, since with it set up to use CableCARD, unlike the Series3, it insists on the CableCARD being installed. I had to set it to "antenna only" before I could transfer my list of Season Passes which screwed up those season passes a bit, changing the channels to OTA ones; I can't change them back for series which are currently in hiatus).

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #134
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm impressed that they ported the Opera platform to Premiere; that's a huge mod to be making to last gen's platform at this point. I'll have to check it out when they get Netflix up and running on it. (Since I switched to my Roamio using the Premiere is difficult, since with it set up to use CableCARD, unlike the Series3, it insists on the CableCARD being installed. I had to set it to "antenna only" before I could transfer my list of Season Passes which screwed up those season passes a bit, changing the channels to OTA ones; I can't change them back for series which are currently in hiatus).
Should have used kmttg for the SP transfer. It can grab the SPs from any Premiere or Roamio and transfer them to another Premiere/Roamio while maintaining the order and even properly setting them up for shows not currently in the guide. It's 1000x better then trying to use the website.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #135
hamz9561

For about a week, my Roamio started frequently dropping audio and video and then after about a second or two it continues where it dropped. None of my settings have changed and I have no problems on my WD Live streaming box with the same programming. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm watching on Netflix either. I'm a n00b here but have had TiVo boxes for over 7 years.
hamz9561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #136
hefe
Rebus Philbin

We just got the update on our Roamio, and the menu looks great. But now it is inexplicably stretching a non-widescreen show. My daughter just put on the TV show Dinosaurs, and Netflix is stretching it to fill the screen.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #137
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
We just got the update on our Roamio, and the menu looks great. But now it is inexplicably stretching a non-widescreen show. My daughter just put on the TV show Dinosaurs, and Netflix is stretching it to fill the screen.
I just started playing an episode of that and it's not doing it to me. It was season 1 episode 2; any particular episode you're watching that's getting stretched?

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #138
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
I just started playing an episode of that and it's not doing it to me. It was season 1 episode 2; any particular episode you're watching that's getting stretched?
Huh...it's one that my daughter just turned on the first time after we got the new interface message tonight. It's off now, but I'm curious. I'll go and see what it was...

Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #139
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Well, all of them it seems.

I picked the same episode as you, sampled a few others. All stretched instead of pillarboxed.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #140
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

This is what I'm seeing:

From near the beginning of S1:E3.

Must be a TiVo setting somewhere. Are you sure you don't have "Settings->Video->Aspect Correction Mode" set to "Full"? (The ZOOM remote button does funny things in the new Netflix UI).

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 11-14-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #141
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
This is what I'm seeing:

From near the beginning of S1:E3.

Must be a TiVo setting somewhere. Are you sure you don't have "Settings->Video->Aspect Correction Mode" set to "Full"? (The ZOOM remote button does funny things in the new Netflix UI).
I don't have a zoom button mapped to our Harmony remote. It's weird because it wasn't doing this yesterday, but it is certainly possible that the kids got in there and changed something, although the timing would be quite coincidental.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #142
Dan203
Super Moderator

This has been a problem since the first Netflix client on TiVo. For some reason the Zoom setting effects SD content in the app, but there is no way to actually adjust it inside the app. You have to exit and go to live TV or a recording, set it to the proper value, then go back to Netflix to watch your show/movie.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #143
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I've played with it and Aspect Correction Mode "Full" does work to stretch Netflix SD content.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #144
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
It looks like my netflix updated today. When i launched netflix i got a message about improved searching and graphics. Now when i play something pressing info shows resolution but no more bitrate info. Even worse pressing info again no longer hides this info. And now my roamio is showing c33 error even though network diagnostic checked out. C33 fixed itself 10 minutes later but now i have a c501 error. Wonder if this is all due to Netflix?
I noticed mine updated this morning on my Roamio Pro. I had to log in again and I was wondering why. But now, like you, I don't see the bitrate info any more.
Plus no titles are showing "SuperHD" for me anymore.

EDIT: I see it also updated on my Minis too. Again the same issue for me. No bitrate info and it doesn't show SUperHD anymore. Neither on the info screen nor any of the titles.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #145
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I noticed mine updated this morning on my Roamio Pro. I had to log in again and I was wondering why. But now, like you, I don't see the bitrate info any more.
Plus no titles are showing "SuperHD" for me anymore.

EDIT: I see it also updated on my Minis too. Again the same issue for me. No bitrate info and it doesn't show SUperHD anymore. Neither on the info screen nor any of the titles.
Now that everyone has "Super HD", I'm guessing this is a first step to killing off the branding. As for the debug info, I wouldn't be surprised if they disabled it eventually.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #146
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
According to the press release this new UI is actually suppose to run better on low powered hardware.

moyekj has a hack that allows him to use the new app on his Premiere, maybe he'll try it out for us and let us know how it runs.
Just tried running the new html version of Netflix on my Elite this morning and it worked fine. Sluggish compared to running on my Roamio Pro as expected, but worked well overall and better than I remembered running the Flash version. I switched between a few shows and toggled CC on/off and it worked as expected. Playing the original Star Trek series looks like stretchorama even though I have Panel mode selected, but that happened on my Roamio Pro as well. Can't recall if it was that way with Flash player.
Anyway, I think this version will be much better Netflix player for series 4 units than the current Flash version. Likely TiVo is waiting for general 20.3.7 rollout to series 4 units to complete before making it the default series 4 version.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #147
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

I noticed the new Netflix last night, so far I like it, but it took forever to update all the thumbnail images on the lower half of the screen. At first I thought something was broke but the thumbnails finally started populating the screen.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #148
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I like the new app so far.

Might be nice if they would add a toggle in the Settings to enable/disable the top-of-screen graphic rotation -- a single static image would be fine with me. The rotation speed is also a bit fast IMO.
Found it last night as well. The top graphic is a screen hog, consuming a lot of valuable screen real estate. That plus the title orientation has gone from portrait to landscape makes it difficult to see many titles at once. Too early to complain too loudly about this, but it seems like a half step backwards.

The performance of the app is fine from what I could tell. I like that it now recognizes profiles.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #149
g808

Still waiting on my Premieres.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #150
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
Found it last night as well. The top graphic is a screen hog, consuming a lot of valuable screen real estate.
The top graphic is also being used as an advertisement. I already saw one today. I would be shocked if Netflix changed it as it is going to let them push new content ads to users.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote