TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
siratfus

If XBOX one took cable cards, and has XBOX MINI (equivalent to tivo mini) I would say goodbye to tivo. LOL!
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #32
JosephB

I'm actually excited for the Xbox One. I think everyone has a different idea about what they would like the Xbox One to be, what Microsoft would like it to be, and what it actually is.

First off, the XB1 doesn't have DVR functionality and doesn't even advertise it. When they talk about DVR on XB1, they are talking about the video game DVR functionality which allows you to record yourself playing a game and then share it online. They're not talking about TV DVR functionality.

As far as the "one guide" it would be awesome if you could integrate your DVR recordings, but obviously that's not possible, and I don't even think Microsoft wants to go down that route. Given the fact that they sold off their IPTV division (which powers U-Verse and is the reason you can use an Xbox 360 as a U-Verse STB) I don't think linear TV is really on their radar anymore. The whole reason behind the HDMI passthrough is simply so that your Xbox is always on, and you can always be invited to a game. You don't have to choose "am I going to watch TV or am I going to wait for my friends to get online?". Also, it makes it seamless to swap between your TV service and the video services on the Xbox.

You're going to need to keep your remote around to use your DVR, but the Xbox One Guide will be nice for live TV, and especially nice for having quick access to basically everything you will want to do on the same input of your TV. TiVo for your DVR, podcasts, Amazon, etc, and Xbox for Netflix, ESPN, HBO, and gaming. It's basically the best that we're going to get in a world of cablecards and dish and directv being proprietary services.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
As far as the "one guide" it would be awesome if you could integrate your DVR recordings, but obviously that's not possible
Actually it is possible. TiVo has an entire API for controlling the functionality of a TiVo from a remote application. It's what the iPad app uses, it's what kmttg uses, it's probably what the Mini uses. If MS really wanted to integrate the XB1 with TiVo they could do it. They probably wont, but they could.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
siratfus

JosephB, I can't conceptualize the set-up yet. For example, is this correct.. Moca goes into cable box or tivo, and from there, you "OUT" it into the Xbox's "IN" input?

From the demos I see, when they switch to live tv, they are still within the XBOX app. Wouldn't that render the tivo remote useless? Would have to still change inputs completely in order to use TIVO remote, correct?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

The XB1 has an HDMI passthough port with overlay ability. So you plug the HDMI cable from the TiVo to the HDMI-In on the XBox and then the HDMI-Out on the XBox to the TV. You can then watch the TiVo through the XBox and it can overlay a guide on the signal or squish it down into a little window, etc...
Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #36
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
JosephB, I can't conceptualize the set-up yet. For example, is this correct.. Moca goes into cable box or tivo, and from there, you "OUT" it into the Xbox's "IN" input?

From the demos I see, when they switch to live tv, they are still within the XBOX app. Wouldn't that render the tivo remote useless? Would have to still change inputs completely in order to use TIVO remote, correct?
AFAICT they're not going to support control of DVR functions so you'd need your TiVo IR or RF commands for those. It should be interesting seeing how well the two meld.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
wco81

MS wanted a gimmick, like the motion control that made the Wii a big hit.

So they built it around the Kinect and this new version has the ability to track you in the dark, measure your heart rate, etc.

So how do they get you to keep it on all the time? They have this HDMI In, so that it's the last device in the chain before your TV, like the AV receiver is for many people..

That means you never switch it off and it's on your primary HDMI input of your TV.

Why? So that they can track you for ad purposes. They want to see how you respond to ads and they want to sell that data to advertisers.

So what is the hook for people to leave their consoles on? Voice commands for changing channels is basically it. They can't control more advanced functions, like telling your DVR to set up a series pass or pad a recording by 5 minutes.

Initially they said you can't turn off the Kinect or the Xbox One won't work. There was a huge uproar and they backed off, saying you can unplug it now and still play games.

However, there's some uncertainty that it will have an active mic, waiting for commands.

So it may not be completely off.

In any event, if you route a TV box through your Xbox One before reaching the TV, will you get Dolby Digital decoding?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #38
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Initially they said you can't turn off the Kinect or the Xbox One won't work. There was a huge uproar and they backed off, saying you can unplug it now and still play games.

However, there's some uncertainty that it will have an active mic, waiting for commands.

In any event, if you route a TV box through your Xbox One before reaching the TV, will you get Dolby Digital decoding?
You can leave the Kinect in the box if you want to eschew its functionality completely because you're uncomfortable with it. You can be pretty much sure that its not on then . Even then you can run your TV tuning STB into the Xbox's HDMI in.

I don't know about DD decoding. It believe that it will take the TV tuner's audio output and blend other things into it, like maybe audible indicators of things like incoming Skype calls and multiplayer games that you're waiting to come together being ready to join.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
You can leave the Kinect in the box if you want to eschew its functionality completely because you're uncomfortable with it. You can be pretty much sure that its not on then . Even then you can run your TV tuning STB into the Xbox's HDMI in.

I don't know about DD decoding. It believe that it will take the TV tuner's audio output and blend other things into it, like maybe audible indicators of things like incoming Skype calls and multiplayer games that you're waiting to come together being ready to join.
To blend in any other audio the DD has to be decoded first. Then either sent out as PCM or re-encoded back to DD(or DTS).
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Actually it is possible. TiVo has an entire API for controlling the functionality of a TiVo from a remote application. It's what the iPad app uses, it's what kmttg uses, it's probably what the Mini uses. If MS really wanted to integrate the XB1 with TiVo they could do it. They probably wont, but they could.
Right, but to do it "the right way" they would need to partner with TiVo and get permission and assurances that the API won't change and so forth. I have to think TiVo probably wouldn't be open to such an arrangement. For it to be "possible" in the world of Microsoft's thinking, there would need to be a standard way to interact with ALL dvrs and set tops so they didn't have to try to support the dozens of different ones out there. As it stands now, for channel changing and power on/off, all they have to do is specialize the IR codes the box uses. Everything else is the same no matter who your provider is. Given that they sold off Mediaroom (their division that created the software that runs U-Verse) it's obvious that Microsoft thinks this will only be temporary and eventually you'll get all your TV through an app on the Xbox itself, kind of like the TWC app. It's not a stretch to imagine the NEXT Xbox not having HDMI passthrough.

Quote:

The way it works is this: Disconnect the HDMI cable from your TiVo or cable/satellite set top from your television and connect it to the HDMI IN on the Xbox One. Then, you connect an HDMI cable from your Xbox One to your TV (or AV receiver, as the case might be). The Xbox One has an IR blaster in the Kinect sensor, so it can send IR commands that way. It also has a port on the back to connect an old TiVo-style or Slingbox-style IR blaster if needed.

The Xbox "overlays" it's output on top of whatever is coming out of your TiVo. You can change channels with the Xbox ("Xbox Tune ESPN") and it will blast the channel numbers out over IR. It cannot control the DVR functions, so you would still use your TiVo remote to pause/rewind and navigate your recordings or any other TiVo functionality outside of changing channels (and, you could change channels with the remote if you wanted, no reason your remote would stop working).

Quote:

This is interesting. I haven't heard one way or another, but it is supposed to work with passing through 3D and 1080p/24, so one would think so.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #41
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
AFAICT they're not going to support control of DVR functions so you'd need your TiVo IR or RF commands for those. It should be interesting seeing how well the two meld.
The tivo is always on and it'll be next to the xbox one, we can just use our tivo remote and change the channels, go to tivo menu, record, etc. There will just be a delay for all the commands.

Is this assumption correct?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #42
JosephB

Quote:
The tivo is always on and it'll be next to the xbox one, we can just use our tivo remote and change the channels, go to tivo menu, record, etc. There will just be a delay for all the commands.

Is this assumption correct?
Yes, except that an engineer from the Xbox team has said the delay introduced will be imperceptible. He says he plays his Xbox 360 connected through the Xbox One passthrough.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #43
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

IR Blasters = kludged up crappy setup. Always have been, always will. This passthrough functionality will be used by 0.001% of the gamer pop, and without the WMC extender code it's pretty much useless to me.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #44
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Right, but to do it "the right way" they would need to partner with TiVo and get permission and assurances that the API won't change and so forth. I have to think TiVo probably wouldn't be open to such an arrangement. For it to be "possible" in the world of Microsoft's thinking, there would need to be a standard way to interact with ALL dvrs and set tops so they didn't have to try to support the dozens of different ones out there.
TiVo is pretty much the only retail DVR in existence. There is no way the MSO only DVRs from Motorola, SA, Dish, etc... are going to expose a control API. So partnering with TiVo to off a full control scenario would benefit both companies. It would give MS the ability to say they support full DVR functionality through the pass through, convincing more people to hook it up that way and leave it on all the time. And for TiVo it would potentially convince a few XB1 owners to dump their cable DVR and buy a TiVo instead.

Now whether or not they'll actually do it I think depends on how much bad blood there is between the companies from the lawsuits.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #45
siratfus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
IR Blasters = kludged up crappy setup. Always have been, always will. This passthrough functionality will be used by 0.001% of the gamer pop, and without the WMC extender code it's pretty much useless to me.
But then wouldn't those folks favor PS4 more? I think people who want the XBOX One will want to tinker with this stuff.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
But then wouldn't those folks favor PS4 more? I think people who want the XBOX One will want to tinker with this stuff.
People aren't going to buy an XB1 over a PS4 just because of this stuff. Most people who favor the XBox platform do so because they prefer the online experience and/or the controller. This added stuff is all cool on paper, but I seriously doubt many users are actually going to be swayed over to buying an XB1 just because of it.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #47
Grakthis

Quote:
MS wanted a gimmick, like the motion control that made the Wii a big hit.

So they built it around the Kinect and this new version has the ability to track you in the dark, measure your heart rate, etc.

So how do they get you to keep it on all the time? They have this HDMI In, so that it's the last device in the chain before your TV, like the AV receiver is for many people..

That means you never switch it off and it's on your primary HDMI input of your TV.

Why? So that they can track you for ad purposes. They want to see how you respond to ads and they want to sell that data to advertisers.

So what is the hook for people to leave their consoles on? Voice commands for changing channels is basically it. They can't control more advanced functions, like telling your DVR to set up a series pass or pad a recording by 5 minutes.

How comfortable is it to wear tinfoil all day? I mean, it can't let much air through, so your head can't breathe very well... and plus, doesn't it make a lot of noise when you move around?
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #48
Grakthis

Quote:
People aren't going to buy an XB1 over a PS4 just because of this stuff. Most people who favor the XBox platform do so because they prefer the online experience and/or the controller. This added stuff is all cool on paper, but I seriously doubt many users are actually going to be swayed over to buying an XB1 just because of it.
So, I compared the PS4 to a PC and said "My PC is just flat out better." So I am not buying a Ps4.. yet.

I compared the Xbox One to my PC and said "The XBox one does a whole bunch of media stuff, and the kinect voice control and motion control is cool..."

And so I got an Xbox One.

The superior gaming platform is the PC. If you don't like the extra stuff, there's no reason to get either console.

edit: to be clear, I am not just talking about the video overlay... but that is ONE part of it. I am talking about the video overlay and the camera and the voice command, etc.

i doubt I will use the one guide stuff, but you never know. Mostly I am expecting to just be able to use the side-by-side and other video overlay capabilities.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #49
JosephB

Quote:
TiVo is pretty much the only retail DVR in existence. There is no way the MSO only DVRs from Motorola, SA, Dish, etc... are going to expose a control API. So partnering with TiVo to off a full control scenario would benefit both companies. It would give MS the ability to say they support full DVR functionality through the pass through, convincing more people to hook it up that way and leave it on all the time. And for TiVo it would potentially convince a few XB1 owners to dump their cable DVR and buy a TiVo instead.

Now whether or not they'll actually do it I think depends on how much bad blood there is between the companies from the lawsuits.
I think the evidence points to Microsoft not really caring that much. If it were that important to them, they would have 1) not dropped MCE support 2) probably not sold off their Mediaroom division and 3) they could easily have partnered with someone like Ceton to sell a CableCard add-on tuner.

If having a real, honest to god DVR fully integrated was truly important, they would have an add-on tuner, manage the recording and whatnot on the Xbox, and not give up the interface of that part of it to a third party. What incentive do they have to work with TiVo, giving TiVo control over part of the experience? What incentive would TiVo have, giving up just about the entire TiVo experience to Microsoft?

Microsoft has obviously decided to give up on the vision of being part of the base TV experience and to focus on IP-delivered video content via app partners, especially since it's apparent that's the direction the providers want to take. They have FiOS and TWC on their boxes with zero additional hardware costs, zero installation hassles, and with the full cooperation of the video providers. Contrast that with the TiVo method which relies on a poorly supported system, openly hostile service providers that are only supporting it because of legal requirements, and involves significant hardware costs.

There's currently a hole in the "app" delivery method, in that the TWC and FiOS Xbox apps don't have DVR capability, but I suspect those types of features (or immediate on demand access to programs as they air) is the eventual evolution of these applications.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #50
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
So, I compared the PS4 to a PC and said "My PC is just flat out better." So I am not buying a Ps4.. yet.

I compared the Xbox One to my PC and said "The XBox one does a whole bunch of media stuff, and the kinect voice control and motion control is cool..."

And so I got an Xbox One.

The superior gaming platform is the PC. If you don't like the extra stuff, there's no reason to get either console.

edit: to be clear, I am not just talking about the video overlay... but that is ONE part of it. I am talking about the video overlay and the camera and the voice command, etc.

i doubt I will use the one guide stuff, but you never know. Mostly I am expecting to just be able to use the side-by-side and other video overlay capabilities.
PCs are not "superior gaming platforms". They're expensive, hard to maintain, and the online experience is no where near what even the PS4 can do. PCs can have vastly superior specs, and because they have more buttons they make it easier to play certain types of games, but there is a reason the PC is dying as a gaming platform. Most people value the experience more then the specs.

In any case you're situation is unique. If someone was approaching this from a pure console gamer perspective they will typically pick their preffered platform based on the controler, the exclusive games and the online experience. People value the Kinect so little that they pressured MS to make it so it's not required to be connected to the XBox. If voice commands and motion control were so important to buyers why would they have lashed out against that requirement? I'm not saying the feature isn't cool and that it might sway the vote for some buyers, I'm just saying that for most buyers it's a gimmick and had no bearing on their decision.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #51
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think the evidence points to Microsoft not really caring that much. If it were that important to them, they would have 1) not dropped MCE support 2) probably not sold off their Mediaroom division and 3) they could easily have partnered with someone like Ceton to sell a CableCard add-on tuner.

If having a real, honest to god DVR fully integrated was truly important, they would have an add-on tuner, manage the recording and whatnot on the Xbox, and not give up the interface of that part of it to a third party. What incentive do they have to work with TiVo, giving TiVo control over part of the experience? What incentive would TiVo have, giving up just about the entire TiVo experience to Microsoft?

Microsoft has obviously decided to give up on the vision of being part of the base TV experience and to focus on IP-delivered video content via app partners, especially since it's apparent that's the direction the providers want to take. They have FiOS and TWC on their boxes with zero additional hardware costs, zero installation hassles, and with the full cooperation of the video providers. Contrast that with the TiVo method which relies on a poorly supported system, openly hostile service providers that are only supporting it because of legal requirements, and involves significant hardware costs.

There's currently a hole in the "app" delivery method, in that the TWC and FiOS Xbox apps don't have DVR capability, but I suspect those types of features (or immediate on demand access to programs as they air) is the eventual evolution of these applications.
I agree. I'm just saying that the API exists and there would be some benefit to both companies for them to implement it. I don't think it'll actually happen though. Like you said they see the future as IP delivery. Having cable box control is just a stop gap to get people use to using their XB1 as a portal to TV.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #52
JosephB

Quote:
PCs are not "superior gaming platforms". They're expensive, hard to maintain, and the online experience is no where near what even the PS4 can do. PCs can have vastly superior specs, and because they have more buttons they make it easier to play certain types of games, but there is a reason the PC is dying as a gaming platform. Most people value the experience more then the specs.

In any case you're situation is unique. If someone was approaching this from a pure console gamer perspective they will typically pick their preffered platform based on the controler, the exclusive games and the online experience. People value the Kinect so little that they pressured MS to make it so it's not required to be connected to the XBox. If voice commands and motion control were so important to buyers why would they have lashed out against that requirement? I'm not saying the feature isn't cool and that it might sway the vote for some buyers, I'm just saying that for most buyers it's a gimmick and had no bearing on their decision.
You throw out a lot of assumptions and declarative statements without any evidence. What evidence is there that the PC is a dying platform? Or that kinect is a "gimmick" in "most buyers'" mind? PC gaming is still pretty strong, and both the PS4 and the Xbox One will make a ton of money for Sony and Microsoft.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #53
Dan203
Super Moderator

PC game sales have been on the decline for years. PC sales in general are also on the decline. Just do a Google news search and you'll find a hundred articles talking about it.

The current Kinect has a resale value of about $6, for a peripheral. And when MS initially announced that the XB1 would require the Kinect to be connected at all times people freaked out. So much so that MS reversed their position. Obviously the masses see no real value in the Kinect. People may turn out to like it and change their mind, but I'm confident that very few, if any, day one console buyers are getting an XB1 over a PS4 solely because of Kinect or the HDMI pass through feature.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #54
JosephB

Quote:
PC game sales have been on the decline for years. PC sales in general are also on the decline. Just do a Google news search and you'll find a hundred articles talking about it.

The current Kinect has a resale value of about $6, for a peripheral. And when MS initially announced that the XB1 would require the Kinect to be connected at all times people freaked out. So much so that MS reversed their position. Obviously the masses see no real value in the Kinect. People may turn out to like it and change their mind, but I'm confident that very few, if any, day one console buyers are getting an XB1 over a PS4 solely because of Kinect or the HDMI pass through feature.
Was it 100% the absolute only reason I preordered an Xbox One instead of a Playstation 4? No, but it helped Microsoft's case.

I'm perfectly OK (and I actually prefer) to use my TiVo remote to access my DVR functions, but on the other hand it is *really freakin sweet* to have an integrated guide that puts the IP video apps in the same guide as my favorite linear channels. It's also really sweet that if I'm watching TV and a friend signs into Xbox Live and wants to play a game, I'll see it.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #55
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
it is *really freakin sweet* to have an integrated guide that puts the IP video apps in the same guide as my favorite linear channels.
I'm wondering how useful this will really be? Based on the video I saw all it does is put a list of "popular" videos into the guide. Since IP video apps are non-linear it doesn't really fit into the context of the guide very well. And unless your tastes line up with what's "popular" then it's unlikely you'll find something you actually want to watch that way.

Personally I think the way TiVo integrates IP video services in to search and browse is much more useful. I can pull up a show I'm thinking about watching and tell instantly if it's available via Netflix or Hulu. If it is I can pick the exact episode I want to watch, click it, and it will just start playing. Or if I want to browse I can pick up my iPad, find something I want to watch on it and just fling it to my TiVo for playback. (via DIAL)

Honestly the XBox guide looks like it's mainly for those who watch live TV, and I personally never do.

Quote:
It's also really sweet that if I'm watching TV and a friend signs into Xbox Live and wants to play a game, I'll see it.
This I could see being useful for kids and single guys who can jump in and play at a moments notice, but being constantly bombarded by announcements while watching TV is not something that will have a very high WAF.

Now I "might" enable this feature for Skype if I had family who also had an XB1. The Skype feature gets us to that Jetsons future where we can video chat with people through the TV, which is pretty cool. Although I usually look like sh*t when I'm watching TV so maybe I don't want to video chat on my TV.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #56
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Obviously the masses see no real value in the Kinect. People may turn out to like it and change their mind, but I'm confident that very few, if any, day one console buyers are getting an XB1 over a PS4 solely because of Kinect or the HDMI pass through feature.
I think that the current rash of Xbox One ads will get some buyers choosing it over PS4 for Kinect-enabled features which have little to do specifically with gaming. Voice control and its ability to visually recognize people and log them in automatically and reference their gaming and entertainment "contexts" by command ("Xbox show my stuff") is compelling. Throw in a beautiful girl and you get something this .

But you're right--few people who ordered early enough to get a Day One package were moved by the Kinect story, though there must have been some.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 11-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #57
HerronScott

Quote:
At least based on my experience with my teenage son and his friends, I would say this is not the case at least with older kids. They rarely play console games these days and it's all PC online gaming through companies selling games like Steam (and my son does have just almost all the console systems sold in the last 15 years with the exception of the PS3).

You mentioned in another post about PC games sales declining and I can see that being the case for retail boxed games but do those numbers include games sold through Steam and other online systems?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #58
Dan203
Super Moderator

All PC games sales, and PC sales in general, are on a decline. The only reason some stories claim they're holding, or even going up, is because they count people who play games on Facebook as "PC gamers". One piece of anecdotal evidence is the recent release of GTA5. It was ONLY for consoles. They plan on releasing a PC version eventually, sometime in 2014, but obviously the PC market isn't big enough for them to push the release out before the crucial holiday buying season. And sales figures of other major franchises available on all platforms almost always favor consoles by substantial margins.

PCs are technologically superior for sure. But they have some serious issues which push consumers away. First off most PC buyers are shifting away from desktop PCs to laptops, and most laptops don't have hardware capable of even playing most PC games and offer no upgrade path to make them capable. Second a real gaming PC is insanely expensive. The video card alone can cost more then an entire console system. Add in the rest of the hardware and you're looking at 3x, or more, the price of a console. On top if that they're harder for developers to deal with. They're are millions of variations they have to account for when coding/supporting the game and the potential for piracy is significant. By contrast consoles offer a single consistent platform to develop for and built in piracy prevention.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #59
JosephB

Quote:
I'm wondering how useful this will really be? Based on the video I saw all it does is put a list of "popular" videos into the guide. Since IP video apps are non-linear it doesn't really fit into the context of the guide very well. And unless your tastes line up with what's "popular" then it's unlikely you'll find something you actually want to watch that way.

Personally I think the way TiVo integrates IP video services in to search and browse is much more useful. I can pull up a show I'm thinking about watching and tell instantly if it's available via Netflix or Hulu. If it is I can pick the exact episode I want to watch, click it, and it will just start playing. Or if I want to browse I can pick up my iPad, find something I want to watch on it and just fling it to my TiVo for playback. (via DIAL)

Honestly the XBox guide looks like it's mainly for those who watch live TV, and I personally never do.

This I could see being useful for kids and single guys who can jump in and play at a moments notice, but being constantly bombarded by announcements while watching TV is not something that will have a very high WAF.

Now I "might" enable this feature for Skype if I had family who also had an XB1. The Skype feature gets us to that Jetsons future where we can video chat with people through the TV, which is pretty cool. Although I usually look like sh*t when I'm watching TV so maybe I don't want to video chat on my TV.
I watch quite a bit of live TV, lately probably a little more than recorded content, though that might shift back over time. I think the "One Guide" integration of apps into the guide is most useful for linear streaming apps like WatchESPN or the TWC app. I think that is probably where they want to go with it.

In terms of having the XB1 in the loop and always on for Skype, you can Skype with anyone, not just other XB1 users.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #60
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post

How comfortable is it to wear tinfoil all day? I mean, it can't let much air through, so your head can't breathe very well... and plus, doesn't it make a lot of noise when you move around?
I used to contract for the NSA. They and many other institutions, both government and private, bank on naive people like you who "ostrich up" and cram their heads in the sand. That's all I'm saying about this.....flame away ostriches.....or should I say, cattle, sheeple.........
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote