TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #121
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
If someone who receives one of theirs with the USB dongle still has a Series 3 somewhere in the house, could they try connecting it to that and seeing if it works?

I'm wondering if it'd work just fine with a Series 3 HD TiVo but they're not advertising that because they want to get people to buy newer TiVos (and because there's no easy access to the remote-finder feature).
Doubtful, since
1) Not being marketed as supporting units earlier than series 4
2) it looks like 20.3.7 software or later is needed:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...%20Slide%20Pro
Under Premiere and TiVo Mini instructions:
Quote:
NOTE: RF functionality on Premiere Series DVRs and TiVo Mini requires software version 20.3.7.1a or greater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #122
jkeegan

Quote:
If someone who receives one of theirs with the USB dongle still has a Series 3 somewhere in the house, could they try connecting it to that and seeing if it works?

I'm wondering if it'd work just fine with a Series 3 HD TiVo but they're not advertising that because they want to get people to buy newer TiVos (and because there's no easy access to the remote-finder feature).
I made an incorrect assumption about how the remote-finder feature works. At this URL:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...%20Slide%20Pro

it says:

"How do I use the "Find Me" feature using the USB dongle with the Slide Pro Remote?

Push and release the button on the dongle to play the TiVo melody on the Slide Pro (even if the remote is in IR mode!)."

So it's a hardware button on the dongle itself! Sweet! Then the only question is, is it REALLY only for Premieres and up, or can it also work with a Series 3 HDTiVo as well?

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #123
NYHeel

Not really interested in paying $8.54 for ground shipping of this thing. I think I'll wait until it's available at Best Buy or Amazon.
NYHeel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #124
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Not really interested in paying $8.54 for ground shipping of this thing. I think I'll wait until it's available at Best Buy or Amazon.
That's why I decided to go ahead and order more last night. When someone mentioned that zero shipping was a mistake, i figured I might as well take advantage of that. if they come back and try to charge me shipping then I will cancel the order.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #125
Dan203
Super Moderator

Looks like the fixed the free shipping on the Premiere/Mini one. Still surprising they're charging the same price for the Roamio one if it is in fact exactly the same just without the dongle. You'd think they'd make it $5 cheaper or so to differentiate them.

Edit: Doh! Too slow
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #126
telemark

Was there an explanation on why there was free shipping? Was there a code?

The Tivo Slide worked on 20.2, I'd be surprised if 20.3.7 is the correct cutoff.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #127
Dan203
Super Moderator

The free shipping only applied to the Premiere/Mini version and was likely a mistake.

The Slide was a BlueTooth remote, this new one uses the same proprietary RF technology used in the Roamio. The new software is likely required because it contains a driver for the new dongle.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #128
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The free shipping only applied to the Premiere/Mini version and was likely a mistake.

The Slide was a BlueTooth remote, this new one uses the same proprietary RF technology used in the Roamio. The new software is likely required because it contains a driver for the new dongle.
I wish I had a driver for my dongle......it's been awhile!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #129
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I wish I had a driver for my dongle......it's been awhile!
You probably could use an extender as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #130
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:

Sure, but is the USB dongle likewise proprietary? Or does it just present as a USB HID device like the old one? Granted, the finding feature or anything else might not work, but if the basic remote controls work that'd be OK.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #131
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Sure, but is the USB dongle likewise proprietary? Or does it just present as a USB HID device like the old one? Granted, the finding feature or anything else might not work, but if the basic remote controls work that'd be OK.
If it is pure HID then why would they qualify that the dongle requires a specific software version? If I still had an S3 I'd try it, but I've sold all of mine.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #132
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
+1 to that, somebody with both a TivoHD and the new remote please try it!
Old 11-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #133
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
If it is pure HID then why would they qualify that the dongle requires a specific software version? If I still had an S3 I'd try it, but I've sold all of mine.
I didn't write pure HID. It'd be possible for something to have HID input features but not support the finding portion. Those would likely require a dongle with specific support. As to why they'd qualify versions, what gets said to the public often has little to do with underlying technical realities. Could be marketing's way of avoiding recognition that old devices exist, supporting the 'buy a new Tivo' angle. A laudable goal, of course, but not necessarily one everyone wants to consider.

But until someone that has the necessary pieces tries it'd be pointless to guess.

Me, I'd seriously entertain buying a new Roamio specifically if it would support two of these remotes at the same time. Otherwise there's currently no compelling reason for me to ditch either of the TivoHD units nor the Premiere I've already got. Two remotes, and the marital harmony that'd bring, would have be buying right away...
Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #134
g808

Quote:
I just skipped lunch today.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #135
djjuice

$50 is a reasonable price, but man tax and shipping makes it nearly $65 bucks.
wanted to send one to my parents in Alaska and shipping is nearly $23 alone!
i'll hope best buy gets it soon
djjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #136
gigaguy

Still wondering if there are improvements over the orig slide, which was problematic for some. it's looking like just new added buttons.

also confused, why isn't bluetooth mentioned? How is it different from the orig slide? Is bluetooth required to have RF function?
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #137
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
Still wondering if there are improvements over the orig slide, which was problematic for some. it's looking like just new added buttons.

also confused, why isn't bluetooth mentioned? How is it different from the orig slide? Is bluetooth required to have RF function?
It's not BT. It uses the same proprietary RF technology TiVo added to the Roamio. It'll pair to a Roamio without a dongle. The dongle is only needed for the Premiere or Mini because they don't have built in RF capabilities.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #138
overFEDEXed

Speaking of shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
No more free shipping.
Just curious;

Last night, I ordered two remotes around the same time. Two separate orders though. One was a Slide Pro and the other a FREE replacement remote, for my two tuner Premiere. It was under warranty, so they shipped me a Roamio Replacement remote. Nice of them.

Anyway, the Roamio remote has already shipped (UPS Ground) and the Slide Pro, is still processing. I was thinking that they would ship them together, but apparently not. I know that the Slide Pro is coming out of Texas, but don't know about the Roamio remote.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #139
aaronwt
HD Addict

Both of my orders from last night are showing as still processing too.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #140
gigaguy

Thanks Dan, I thought it was bluetooth cause people had connected them to PCs to test I thought I read. I hope the new slide is improved. My slide works fine but sometimes it loses RF function and I have to slip the battery in/out to reset it.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #141
Icarus

Quote:
$31.50 to Hawaii no matter how many I order.

Waiting ...

-David
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #142
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Wonder when a new Mini will be released with built-in RF?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #143
swerver

No comments on the dedicated search button? It's on the keyboard, says it brings you straight to the search page.

I don't know why they don't make the color buttons programmable - they hardly do anything. I can only think of one or 2 cases where I ever use them, and there are 4 of them. Wasted buttons unless they are programmable.

Also, re: programming macros. I believe if you have another remote that does macros, you can program it there, and then have the slide learn it from there. Not 100% sure, maybe someone can verify.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #144
Jeremy5

I have received a tracking number, Roamio version.
Jeremy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #145
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
No comments on the dedicated search button? It's on the keyboard, says it brings you straight to the search page.
I hadn't noticed that, so I skipped back to the photo. Didn't know what that was... what a great idea and addition! Thanks for pointing that out.

It is sad that TiVo can't properly market this device by listing ALL it's functionality and features on the web page...
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #146
moyekj

I'd rather have a dedicated CC toggle button than a search button - I still can't believe after all these remote revisions that never made the cut. But I can see how the search button would be useful to some.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #147
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I'd rather have a dedicated CC toggle button than a search button - I still can't believe after all these remote revisions that never made the cut. But I can see how the search button would be useful to some.
I have to think more people use search then use closed caption.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #148
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
I have to think more people use search then use closed caption.
No arguments there, but search is as simple as TiVo + 4 so to me having a dedicated Search button is a complete waste.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #149
Thom

This info from the TiVo website killed my desire for the slide remote:

"...the RF signal, the remote finder and all of your other personalized settings won’t get mixed up if you have more than one unit, because the TiVo Slide Pro remote is made to work with one unit and one unit only."

I currently control multiple base Roamios in my living room with a single Roamio remote. I've always had multiple TiVos controlled by a single TiVo remote ever since the series 1 days.

The fact that I would have to have a separate remote for each individual TiVo is a deal breaker. And I can't see why TiVo would think the customer would find that desirable.
Thom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #150
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
Thanks Dan, I thought it was bluetooth cause people had connected them to PCs to test I thought I read. I hope the new slide is improved. My slide works fine but sometimes it loses RF function and I have to slip the battery in/out to reset it.
The old Slide was BT, the new one is not.