TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #121
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
So I won't need my overly complicated jailbroken iPhone + OpenVPN solution?
Does that even work? I recall some dealbreaker you shared, that made it annoying/unreliable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #122
windracer
joined the 10k club

Oh, it's still annoying/unreliable (the VPN overhead is to blame, I believe) but I was more saying that in jest than anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #123
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylen View Post
Their description of the Roamio says it contains the features of all these other devices--including a Slingbox. But that is entirely untrue--who uses a slingbox to watch stuff at home on another TV?! Everyone uses it to stream stuff outside of the home.

I am hopeful we will finally get a real use for the TiVo Stream the way it should have been from the start!
That is exactly what they are saying... External - they are not comparing local network streaming to Slingbox (RIF)

The reviewers of the Roamio actually tested a beta version of the external streaming service. So we should see it soon on the Roamio line and I would expect - maybe, with the fall release on the Premier line... Maybe...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #124
billyelliott80

I found a website to watching hulu in arround the world through VPN serive it's extremely easy to use. The customer support and pricing is unbeatable. Seems to be pretty good and easy to use as well.
http://www.streamingvpn.com

Last edited by billyelliott80 : 11-15-2013 at 04:37 AM.
billyelliott80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #125
kylen

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyelliott80 View Post
I found a website to watching hulu in arround the world through VPN serive it's extremely easy to use. The customer support and pricing is unbeatable. Seems to be pretty good and easy to use as well.
With the recent updates to the official TiVo app, this thread is kind of moot--the functionality is all there, no VPN needed.
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #126
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylen View Post
With the recent updates to the official TiVo app, this thread is kind of moot--the functionality is all there, no VPN needed.
Not entirely. TiVo's app won't stream copy protected content out of home, but will stream it in home. For people with highly restrictive cable companies, the updated app doesn't work to stream out of the home.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #127
TivoQueensDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Not entirely. TiVo's app won't stream copy protected content out of home, but will stream it in home. For people with highly restrictive cable companies, the updated app doesn't work to stream out of the home.
Ding ding ding - give that man a prize!

I'm thinking I'd love to go on vacation somewhere - bring my mini along and be able to watch my shows via a VPN - using the vacation home as an extension (via VPN) of my regular home. As long as the bandwidth is there, it should work....and much easier than moving the Roamio itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Toshiba RS-TX20 (Retired after Tivo abandoned software updates)

Tivo Roamio Pro (lifetime)
Tivo Mini (lifetime)
TivoQueensDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #128
kylen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Odd, I didn't even realize those were blacked out--I could have sworn they were still allowing streaming just not downloading. It's ridiculous that they are blocking that.
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #129
windracer
joined the 10k club

You can also still use this method to stream over cellular, which the current TiVo app won't do either.

|
Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #130
morac
Cat God

Quote:
You can also still use this method to stream over cellular, which the current TiVo app won't do either.
The app does allow you to download over cellular, so it's a lot easier to simply do that than try to set up a VPN.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #131
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Of course I'd only try that on an unlimited data plan, or a plan with enough to cover those GBs. These TiVo files are huge.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #132
windracer
joined the 10k club

The app transcodes them, though.

|
Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #133
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The app transcodes them, though.
But doesn't the file need to get to the device first in order for the app to transcode it? (Or do you mean the STREAM transcodes it?)

And to what size? I mean, heck, even at 250 MB it would be a significant file to contend with over cellular. And someone with a 2 GB/month plan should know what they're getting into. At least with streaming it's only transferring what I'm actually watching, as I watch it.

Not to mention, if a recording has a CCI byte set, I can't download it (home or away) and I can't stream it (away) so the point, given the context of this conversation, is largely moot for many users (and especially users on Time Warner) anyway.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #134
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
But doesn't the file need to get to the device first in order for the app to transcode it? (Or do you mean the STREAM transcodes it?)
Right, I meant the Stream transcodes it, so the file sizes are significantly smaller (and vary based on the quality you select).

But yes, you're right ... the file sizes can still be significant if you're dealing with a 3gb monthly plan, and the CCI-byte restrictions really suck (and this is a problem with TiVo's OOH streaming/download as well).

|
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #135
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoQueensDad View Post
Ding ding ding - give that man a prize!

I'm thinking I'd love to go on vacation somewhere - bring my mini along and be able to watch my shows via a VPN - using the vacation home as an extension (via VPN) of my regular home. As long as the bandwidth is there, it should work....and much easier than moving the Roamio itself.
For a second home... Slingbox... anywhere else... how about going on vacation and not watching TV?
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote