TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #91
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
Can you order the Mini/Premiere version to get the dongle, use the Slide Pro with your Roamio, then use your old 'basic' Roamio remote with your Mini by attaching the dongle to the Mini??

Anyone know the answer (or can check if they are calling in)?

If so, I would consider purchasing one so that I have the same exact keypad on both for muscle memory. =)
I bought one on faith that it'll do just that. We'll see in a couple days whether it works or not.

I wonder if the Premiere/Mini one also has the remote finder feature?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #92
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
i got 0 tax and free shipping woo hoo early christmas $53.59 each
With no tax and free shipping should be $49.99 like mine was.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #93
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I bought one on faith that it'll do just that. We'll see in a couple days whether it works or not.

I wonder if the Premiere/Mini one also has the remote finder feature?
Sorry Dan,

I did forget to ask that question. The rep said that he had all the specs/features in front of him, but I didn't think of asking.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #94
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I have the same question as everyone else- why have two models if they are the same price and function? I want to use it with a Roamio, WITHOUT a dongle, but I want the dongle anyway so it could be used with other TiVo's if I want to. Need info!!!

And the put in cart button is strange. It does nothing. And nothing. And nothing. Then I left the tab for several minutes. When I came back it was showing a cart with several hundred dollars worth of remotes in the cart!

$8.54 shipping on the Roamio version and $3 VA tax. And yes, if I put a Premiere version (with dongle) in the cart, the shipping is free. Doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #95
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
With no tax and free shipping should be $49.99 like mine was.
Oh my bad it did have tax $4.00 But I did order mine with dongle the remote is the same remote just one comes with dongle and the same remote also comes with out dongle.
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #96
g808

Can this remote power on/off a tv and audio receiver at the same time? If not, then can it even power each on separately?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #97
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
Can this remote power on/off a tv and audio receiver at the same time? If not, then can it even power each on separately?
it is a learning remote so maybe just depends on the make and model of audio receiver
Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #98
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have the same question as everyone else- why have two models if they are the same price and function? I want to use it with a Roamio, WITHOUT a dongle, but I want the dongle anyway so it could be used with other TiVo's if I want to. Need info!!!

And the put in cart button is strange. It does nothing. And nothing. And nothing. Then I left the tab for several minutes. When I came back it was showing a cart with several hundred dollars worth of remotes in the cart!

$8.54 shipping on the Roamio version and $3 VA tax. And yes, if I put a Premiere version (with dongle) in the cart, the shipping is free. Doesn't make any sense.
I would call them back and ask, but they are closed now. Of course everyone would order the Premiere/Mini remote, with the dongle. Especially if the shipping is free.

Also the Remote finder is not important to me, but might be to some. Better off to wait and find out for sure. Too late for me though.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #99
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

it was no extra fee for the dongle so what the heck i got it anyway
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #100
g808

Quote:
it is a learning remote so maybe just depends on the make and model of audio receiver
Thanks, thinking of getting one since I like the Tivo remote. Anyone have a Harmony, but prefer this remote?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #101
sneagle
Addicted Member

Ordered one. Free shipping.
sneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #102
overFEDEXed

Info from another Tivo rep

Quote:
I did this chat just now:

William: Hi, my name is William. Are you an existing customer?

TiVo Customer: Yes, I just wanted to ask about the new Slide Pro remote. Is it a Learning remote? Also, are the two different remotes the same, except for the dongle? Roamio or Premiere/Mini?

TiVo Customer: Why is shipping free on the Premiere/Mini model, that comes with a dongle and the Roamio version, without the dongle, costs $9 to ship???

William: I have to be honest all the information I have for this device is on this page.
https://tivo.com/shop/detail/tivoslidepro

William: Does not look like a learning remote.

TiVo Customer: Are the two versions exactly the same, other than the dongle. Also, the dongle is just so the Mini/Premiere can use RF, correct?

William: I believe the only difference is the dongle.

TiVo Customer: It says this;
TiVo Customer: One remote does it all: control power, input, volume and mute of your TV and/or audio receiver.

William: Yes the dongle is to add the RF receiving function to a device that does not have that feature.

TiVo Customer: but no learning?

William: That means it has the same programming feature the other remotes have. You know enter a four digit code depending on the model of Tv, ext.

TiVo Customer: But not learning, like the GLO remote?
TiVo Customer: The GLO specs say this; Learning capable - Programmable to control power, input, volume, and mute on your TV and A/V receiver using built-in database of commands, or learn these commands directly from your TV's and receiver's remote controls.

William: That is correct that feature is not with the new slide.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #103
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
it was no extra fee for the dongle so what the heck i got it anyway
Yeah, but what if it REQUIRES using the dongle on the Roamio and has a shorter range and doesn't do the remote finder? Then it won't be quite the attraction. That is why inquiring minds want to know the difference between the two....
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #104
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
I did this chat just now:
Thanks. But he never answered why shipping was free only on the supposedly identical remote that includes MORE stuff (the dongle). Of course, he didn't really answer anything at all, anyway, since all he did was read the web page, which we all have already done!!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #105
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Yeah, but what if it REQUIRES using the dongle on the Roamio and has a shorter range and doesn't do the remote finder? Then it won't be quite the attraction. That is why inquiring minds want to know the difference between the two....
On the chat that I just did, after seeing his reply saying "To be honest, all the info that I have is right here", pointing to the Tivo site, I didn't think that he "Honestly" knew.

I think that somebody messed up on the site. Not "Walmart" messed up, but I think that both were supposed to have a shipping charge and it will be fixed in the morning.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-13-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #106
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just went ahead and ordered three more of the new Slide remotes. I figure I have a $241 check coming shortly from the Dehumidifier recall, so that will more than cover the four SLides. I just hope that the ones with the dongle will work properly when used with the Roamio without the need for the dongle. Otherwise I will need to return/exchange two of them.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #107
Dan203
Super Moderator

On the invoice I got via email it says...

TiVo Slide Pro Remote w/Adapter

Does not say anything about it being Premiere/Mini specific on the invoice. And if it doesn't work I'll exchange it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #108
g808

No more free shipping.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 AM   #109
overFEDEXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by g808 View Post
No more free shipping.
Remember when people were using the "Bundle" trick?

You could add the Mini and Premiere box, at a special rate, then remove the Premiere. That would let you check out at $76 shipped, for the Mini, I think.

I did not use it, but some did. Tivo didn't "fix" it for weeks/months maybe.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 11-14-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #110
HenryFarpolo

You should order with the dongle in case you eventually want to use the Slide with something other than the Roamio,

The price is much better than I expected!!
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #111
bananaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
On the invoice I got via email it says...

TiVo Slide Pro Remote w/Adapter

Does not say anything about it being Premiere/Mini specific on the invoice. And if it doesn't work I'll exchange it.
This is how the two types appear on my order, Roamio first, then Premiere/Mini:

C00260 TiVo Slide Pro Remote
C00261 TiVo Slide Pro Remote w/Adapter
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #112
andyf

Support articles are up on TiVo.com

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...%20Slide%20Pro

states this "IS" a learning remote. Phew!
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #113
ScaryMike

Macros?

Here are the "learning" instructions: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278

Looks to be the same page for this new remote as the old slide remote. Anyone know if you can do Macros on these?

Without the ability to turn on both my receiver and my TV, (and possible macro over to the right inputs) with one button press, this won't have a high wife acceptability factor. I'd love if I could replace my universal with this for most tv watching (only having to switch fro blu ray or other devices).

Thoughts?
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #114
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
TiVo Customer: The GLO specs say this; Learning capable - Programmable to control power, input, volume, and mute on your TV and A/V receiver using built-in database of commands, or learn these commands directly from your TV's and receiver's remote controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Support articles are up on TiVo.com

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...%20Slide%20Pro

states this "IS" a learning remote. Phew!
Based on what the GLO said, doesn't the term "learning remote" just mean that it knows the same exact database of makes/models as the normal Roamio remote? The normal Roamio remote can already control your TV and AV power, volume, input, mute.

I don't see what the big deal is here regarding "learning" since I don't think it is actually teaching the remote a command it doesn't know, like you can do with say a Harmony Remote.

Okay, I guess I'll take that back based on what Mike just posted, it can learn codes not in it's list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
Here are the "learning" instructions: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/278

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #115
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post

Without the ability to turn on both my receiver and my TV, (and possible macro over to the right inputs) with one button press, this won't have a high wife acceptability factor. I'd love if I could replace my universal with this for most tv watching (only having to switch fro blu ray or other devices).

Thoughts?
Looks like no to the macros, but the Tivo support page linked indicates up to 3 devices can be linked to the power button. You should be able to set it up for both TV and your receiver.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #116
nws alpine

The key part I like is "learn these commands directly from your TV's and receiver's remote controls"

I really like the RF on the Roamio. Its so much faster than my Harmony one. It is also much more reliable than the current IR extenders I use.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #117
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Will it allow using more than one remote with a single Tivo?

As in, his & hers? So I don't have to go looking for where my wife left it? And, no, a 'finding' feature isn't a substitute. I just want to have two remote to control a single Tivo in the room.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #118
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
I don't see what the big deal is here regarding "learning"...
The only reason I've used the learning has been it's too damned much work to slog through all the variations of remotes a device 'might' use. It's faster to just teach it the VOL+-, mute and power codes than retrying what might be a dozen different remote settings.

Especially if you have a TV made by someone other than the label on the front. Damned Akai piece of crud we had... none of the half-dozen codes would work. I think it was only some Magnavox code that worked. Which says more about the terrible TV than anything else.

Now I just wish they'd put a pen-writable bit of label inside the battery compartment so I can make note of whatever code DOES work. Or at least be able to track it on the Tivo itself.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #119
nws alpine

Also sometimes AV receivers will have multiple on/off/standby and if the codes don't map directly it's nice to be able to map a custom signal the way you need it to work.
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #120
jkeegan

If someone who receives one of theirs with the USB dongle still has a Series 3 somewhere in the house, could they try connecting it to that and seeing if it works?

I'm wondering if it'd work just fine with a Series 3 HD TiVo but they're not advertising that because they want to get people to buy newer TiVos (and because there's no easy access to the remote-finder feature).

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote