TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #61
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
I really want this to work, but somehow I don't think it will ever work as well as this Slingbox from what I have gathered from reading all the issues on this forum.
If/when the OOH download problem is resolved then it will have advantages over Slingbox solution since the controls are instant vs Slingbox can get a long delay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #62
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If/when the OOH download problem is resolved then it will have advantages over Slingbox solution since the controls are instant vs Slingbox can get a long delay.
Ok, but with the same equal internet connection, which shows a better picture in Auto Stream mode on an iPad Retina - Slingbox or Stream?

I have 14 days left to return my Stream.

I sure hope they push the update out soon to me.
noone3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #63
supasta

11/6/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
If your TiVo Stream was not in this first batch, it should be updated within a couple of weeks.
11/11/13
Quote:
Hi all,
I don't have any way to push the Stream update to more people, but I will post here as soon another group has been updated.
I am implying that one "group" was pushed the update on 11/6, and as of 11/11, there was not another "group" that was sent the update. Two days later (as of this post), no other post from Margret, and no posts from forum users having received the update.

Was there an issue with the first push? Was there an issue identified in the update? Why the delay?

It is frustrating that TiVo continues to be unprepared.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #64
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
11/6/13

11/11/13

I am implying that one "group" was pushed the update on 11/6, and as of 11/11, there was not another "group" that was sent the update. Two days later (as of this post), no other post from Margret, and no posts from forum users having received the update.

Was there an issue with the first push? Was there an issue identified in the update? Why the delay?

It is frustrating that TiVo continues to be unprepared.
There has been a major issue of downloads not working.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #65
CloudAtlas

Quote:
Ok, but with the same equal internet connection, which shows a better picture in Auto Stream mode on an iPad Retina - Slingbox or Stream?

I have 14 days left to return my Stream.

I sure hope they push the update out soon to me.
I'd return the Stream because there is no guarantee that the rollout will be completed within the next two weeks. As Margret mentioned in her post "If your TiVo Stream was not in this first batch, it should be updated within a couple of weeks."

Software from TiVo and other companies (Apple, Roku,Google) are done in waves over days or weeks. When problems are found with the software in earlier waves upcoming waves are put on hold until the problem is solved.

Even if things go well the software rollout is never immediate. The *problem* is that the people (techie guys) who read this forum want access to updates immediately. They will start asking for an update release date 6 months in advance!

Then if they don't get the software on the EXACT day they were promised they complain. Then when they get the software update they complain if it's not 100% bug free. Which it won't be because all software has bugs.

Honestly I've no idea why Margret even bothers with this group as it's a lose lose situation for her. Unfortunately all the constant complainers one day will ruin it for all of us when she just stops bothering to tell us in advance about updates and letting us jump to the front of the line.

Last edited by CloudAtlas : 11-13-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: grammar :)
CloudAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #66
tre74

Don't put any ideas in her head.
tre74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #67
noone3000

I'm sorry, but nowhere on the TiVo website is it mentioned that this service is only partially available.

Everything in their website indicates that OOH streaming is available.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2405
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762/
Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #68
Cheezmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudAtlas View Post
Software from TiVo and other companies (Apple, Roku,Google) are done in waves over days or weeks. When problems are found with the software in earlier waves upcoming waves are put on hold until the problem is solved.
I can't think of any case in recent history where Apple has rolled out an update. Sometimes it takes a few hours to propagate to all the regional mirrors or something, but when an update is available it goes to everyone at once.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #69
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezmo View Post
I can't think of any case in recent history where Apple has rolled out an update. Sometimes it takes a few hours to propagate to all the regional mirrors or something, but when an update is available it goes to everyone at once.
Yea, i agree, however I think Roku recently rolled out their UI update in waves. Originally available on the Roku 3 .. and then slowly out to the older devices.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about anyway. It will be available when its available. The thought of folks asking if they should return product because the feature is not switched on yet - come on ... seriously?
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #70
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Yea, i agree, however I think Roku recently rolled out their UI update in waves. Originally available on the Roku 3 .. and then slowly out to the older devices.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about anyway. It will be available when its available. The thought of folks asking if they should return product because the feature is not switched on yet - come on ... seriously?
Are you saying that I should just "trust" that out of home streaming will eventually work well??

I usually like to first audition a product before I decide to keep it.

Come on.....seriously?
Old 11-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #71
WVZR1

Quote:
Are you saying that I should just "trust" that out of home streaming will eventually work well??

I usually like to first audition a product before I decide to keep it.

Come on.....seriously?
If you actually wanted to base your purchase on the "satisfaction of OOH" why wouldn't you have waited for "good reviews" - you chose to be the "early adopter" I'd guess so why complain about the "auditions" now -

you nailed this part though "Come on ..... seriously?"
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #72
Loach

I know it's not available now, but is OOH viewing via a web browser in Tivo's work plan for the Stream? Not really interested if my son can't watch on his laptop in a dorm room.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #73
Dan203
Super Moderator

We have no idea. TiVo's not usually very forthcoming about future plans. We know they are working on an Android version of the app, but no word on other platforms.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #74
Austin Bike

Quote:
I'd return the Stream because there is no guarantee that the rollout will be completed within the next two weeks. As Margret mentioned in her post "If your TiVo Stream was not in this first batch, it should be updated within a couple of weeks."

Even if things go well the software rollout is never immediate. The *problem* is that the people (techie guys) who read this forum want access to updates immediately. They will start asking for an update release date 6 months in advance!

Then if they don't get the software on the EXACT day they were promised they complain. Then when they get the software update they complain if it's not 100% bug free. Which it won't be because all software has bugs.

Honestly I've no idea why Margret even bothers with this group as it's a lose lose situation for her. Unfortunately all the constant complainers one day will ruin it for all of us when she just stops bothering to tell us in advance about updates and letting us jump to the front of the line.

I used to frequent the enthusiast sites for my company's products even though I was never paid to do it and it was not part of my job duties. I always identified myself and there was a link in my signature to my corporate blog so people could verify who I was. For a long time everything was cool, but then one day there was a product problem and it went from reasonable people to threats of harm. I dropped out of all of the forums. Received plenty of positive mail, but that was never worth me bothering to go back.

Let's all cut Margaret some slack, there may be problems, but she's on the good side of things.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #75
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
If you actually wanted to base your purchase on the "satisfaction of OOH" why wouldn't you have waited for "good reviews" - you chose to be the "early adopter" I'd guess so why complain about the "auditions" now -

you nailed this part though "Come on ..... seriously?"
Because it's on clearance for $68??? Limited supplies at that price.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #76
CloudAtlas

Quote:
I'm sorry, but nowhere on the TiVo website is it mentioned that this service is only partially available.

Everything in their website indicates that OOH streaming is available.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2405
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2762/
From the links you provided:

Check compatibility
Before installation, make sure that your DVR and iOS device are compatible with out-of-home streaming, and that your home network is functioning.

Out-of-Home Streaming is also available on 4-tuner Roamio or Premiere Series DVRs running software version 20.3.7.1a or higher using the standalone TiVo Stream running software version 19.1.3b-01-6-A94 or higher.

Network requirements

Out-of-home streaming requires a fast, reliable Internet connection between your DVR and iOS device. For the best experience, make sure your setup meets the following requirements:

Home network

TiVo strongly recommends that you use Ethernet or MoCA to connect your DVR to your home network. Wireless networking of any kind is by nature slower and less reliable than a wired connection, and can affect your ability to successfully stream content.

Internet connection

TiVo recommends a high-bandwidth Internet connection, such as cable or fiber optic. DSL connections are slower and might not provide the best out-of-home streaming experience.

Network at viewing location

If your iOS device is connected to a network with limited bandwidth or heavy traffic, the TiVo App for iOS automatically lowers the video quality. To improve quality, select Download from the menu bar to download the recorded program or in-progress recording to your iOS device. Once a download has started, the program can be viewed.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #77
moyekj

Quote:
To improve quality, select Download from the menu bar to download the recorded program or in-progress recording to your iOS device. Once a download has started, the program can be viewed.
And should be ammended to say with current software: "and you will have to restart the download every 5 minutes".

Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #78
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

I guess Marg wasn't joking when she said weeks.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #79
beobuff

My Tivo Stream has not yet received the OOH upgrade, but I have the nagging feeling that it is probably not going to work terribly well for me when I do receive it. My primary use would be in a hotel or motel room away from home, and many of these have wi-fi networks of dubious quality and speed, something over which Tivo has no control.

So far I have been simply downloading programs from my Tivo to my iPad or iPhone while at home and taking them with me on trips. While OOH on-line streaming would give me access to newer programs and not be dependent on portable device storage capacity, I am not expecting it to replace pre-recorded programs. I suspect it would be well not to have overly optimistic expectations of what the OOH technology can actually deliver.
Tivo HD XL (for sale)
Tivo HD (for sale)
LG LST-3410A
beobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #80
Austin Bike

Streaming to a hotel room would be nice, but what I would really like to do is download to a device remotely. I have limited space on my iPad so after watching 8 hours of TV on the way to Europe I'd love to be able to set it up to refill itself for the flight home. I can let it run all night if needed.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #81
noone3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by beobuff View Post
My Tivo Stream has not yet received the OOH upgrade, but I have the nagging feeling that it is probably not going to work terribly well for me when I do receive it. My primary use would be in a hotel or motel room away from home, and many of these have wi-fi networks of dubious quality and speed, something over which Tivo has no control.

So far I have been simply downloading programs from my Tivo to my iPad or iPhone while at home and taking them with me on trips. While OOH on-line streaming would give me access to newer programs and not be dependent on portable device storage capacity, I am not expecting it to replace pre-recorded programs. I suspect it would be well not to have overly optimistic expectations of what the OOH technology can actually deliver.
I have the same feeling you have. I'm currently staying in a hospital using its wifi which maxes out at .7 to 1mbps, and the quality on a Slingbox 350 is actually quite impressive. When I stream using my tethered LTE connection (about 3-6mbps). The quality is absolutely superb. If it weren't for the 5gb unlimited speed throttle, I would always use the LTE. One can run through that 5gb fairly fast when streaming video!

I would like to think that TiVo can match Slingbox's quality, but at this point, I have my doubts.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #82
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by beobuff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Streaming to a hotel room would be nice, but what I would really like to do is download to a device remotely. I have limited space on my iPad so after watching 8 hours of TV on the way to Europe I'd love to be able to set it up to refill itself for the flight home. I can let it run all night if needed.
Quote:
I have the same feeling you have. I'm currently staying in a hospital using its wifi which maxes out at .7 to 1mbps, and the quality on a Slingbox 350 is actually quite impressive. When I stream using my tethered LTE connection (about 3-6mbps). The quality is absolutely superb. If it weren't for the 5gb unlimited speed throttle, I would always use the LTE. One can run through that 5gb fairly fast when streaming video!

I would like to think that TiVo can match Slingbox's quality, but at this point, I have my doubts.
If TiVo fixes OOH downloads so they don't pause every 5 minutes then OOH downloads would be solution for these problems. You start a download and let it buffer for a while and then start watching while it downloads. Quality for downloads is not affected by bandwidth limitations as it uses a fixed preset quality. Obviously for poor connections you would have to wait longer for the download to buffer. The big advantage over Sling with this method is that trick play controls are instant vs laggy Sling controls. Also with Sling on bad connections the quality is affected and nothing you can do about it.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #83
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
We have no idea. TiVo's not usually very forthcoming about future plans. We know they are working on an Android version of the app, but no word on other platforms.
I read this recently:

Quote:
TiVo representatives told us there is no definite timeframe for streaming to come to the Android app, but it is in the company's plans. On the other hand, there are no plans to have a desktop version of the current app, streaming-friendly or otherwise.
Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...eps-calling/4/

Hugely disappointing to read that there is no real timeline for Android app and there are no plans for browser streaming. If I can translate: that means expect the 2014 Android timeline to slip yet again, and browser streaming may be years away, if ever.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #84
CloudAtlas

Big Grin I will buy your TiVo Stream

Quote:

Now it all makes sense why you keep posting about the *same* thing over and over. You are bored sitting in a hospital bed!

But to your question Slingbox's software is mature and has been improved over many years. They have been supporting iOS since 2009 and other platforms since 2006?
It should be the best out there. TiVo is just rolling out it's first attempt at Out-Of-Home(OOH) streaming.

So you are comparing TiVo OOH Streaming 1.0.0.0 vs SlingPlayer for iPhone 3.6.16 /iPad 2.6.6 and can't understand why a 1.0 release is not as good?
What kind of hospital did you say you're staying in? <kidding>

I also think TiVo hurried this release out for the Holiday/Christmas shopping season. The next 1.1 release w/o artificial deadlines will fix most outstanding problems.
Yes, that doesn't help you sitting in the hospital but I will back up what I'm saying by offering to buy the Stream off you for cost + shipping. How's that?

Even the SlingPlayer software after 5 years has it's problems. Just look at the recent bug release

What's New in Version 3.6.16
- Improved streaming quality and better adaptiveness to bandwidth fluctuations for Slingbox 500 users (Slingbox 350 support coming soon)
- Bug fixes

What's New in Version 2.4.4
Bug fix related to app crashes for iOS 5.x users

And here is the latest review of the latest SlingBox software from one user:

No longer functions, Pro-non HD

by Chili Colorado
Was watching World Series, checked between innings and found update, updated and now it either locks up, or fails to initiate (20 minutes).
How do I get older app? Will it be fixed for us early SlingBox purchasers?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #85
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
I read this recently:

Source: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...eps-calling/4/

Hugely disappointing to read that there is no real timeline for Android app and there are no plans for browser streaming. If I can translate: that means expect the 2014 Android timeline to slip yet again, and browser streaming may be years away, if ever.
Adobe recently added encrypted HLS support to Flash player, so it seems like they could create an HTML based "app" and use Flash player for the streaming to a browser. There are even common fall back techniques one can use that will allow it to function on iOS and Android devices which support HLS natively. Although the streaming is only part of it. They'd still have to do the whole UI of the app in HTML5. Perhaps they don't see a big enough market for browser/PC based streaming to invest in that development?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #86
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We will be updating a large batch of TiVo Stream boxes today

Hi all,

We will be authorizing another (large) batch of TiVo Stream boxes for the out-of-home streaming update today. It should be available after 6pm Pacific.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #87
noone3000

Quote:
Hi all,

We will be authorizing another (large) batch of TiVo Stream boxes for the out-of-home streaming update today. It should be available after 6pm Pacific.

--Margret
Thanks Margaret.

And thanks for sticking with all us whiners.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #88
apw2607

Quote:
Hi all,

--Margret
Yes, thanks for keeping us all up to date on the roll out plans.
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #89
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Thanks Marg!
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #90
Rohardi

And I was able to download OOH streaming. Newest batch must be out now!
Rohardi is offline   Reply With Quote