TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
DM3MD157

Netflix with HTML5

I spoke to a knowledgeable TiVo technician today. I was helping him troubleshoot an issue and provided him a bug I found on my Roamio. I had mentioned that a lot of Premiere users are complaining about the Neflix app. He said that TiVo is migrating some apps to HTML5 and that they are most likely going to push out the new HTML5 Netflix in the Spring update. Hope this helps to those that are frustrated with the current app that is on the Premiere.
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Netflix just announced a new app today that they plan to push out to almost all devices very soon. Since we know the Premiere now has HTML5 capabilities it makes sense that they would push this new app to all users, Premiere and Roamio, when it's available.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
DM3MD157

Cool, I just wanted to relay the info I received. I didn't know Netflix had an announcement.
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
I spoke to a knowledgeable TiVo technician today. I was helping him troubleshoot an issue and provided him a bug I found on my Roamio. I had mentioned that a lot of Premiere users are complaining about the Neflix app. He said that TiVo is migrating some apps to HTML5 and that they are most likely going to push out the new HTML5 Netflix in the Spring update. Hope this helps to those that are frustrated with the current app that is on the Premiere.
This is all well and good, but many Premiere users have been saddled with a completely unstable Netflix app since the 20.3.1 update, and there were indications that this would be fixed in the Fall update. It wasn't, and now we're hearing just wait until Spring? It kind of feels like the old bar sign:

"Free beer tomorrow"
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

Nobody from tivo made any indications about fall, that was a report from Zatz "through the grapevine".
Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Nobody from tivo made any indications about fall, that was a report from Zatz "through the grapevine".
Nor has Tivo made any official indication about Spring. That's kind of my point - can't put too much stock in any of this.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

These app updates do not have to coincide with TiVo updates. So they could update the Netflix app at any time.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Looks like the new UI just went live on the Roamio platform. For it to happen on the Premiere it's going to require TiVo to change over to the HTML5 version. The new software supports HTML5 apps, so this is something they obviously plan to do eventually, but they might hold it back artificially for a while to boost the Roamio.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
jrtroo
User

Well, I can also see them holding back on the Premiere to make sure the fall roll-out is complete and that there are no follow-up fixes needed. If the experience is improved, I would certainly hope it does not sit on a shelf for marketing purposes...