TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
mypape

All of the sudden my Premieres only have SD Menu System

All of the sudden my Premieres only have SD Menu System. Both a XL 4 in the Den and a original premiere up stairs. If I go to the settings>display hd menu is not a option. I have also tried THUMBS DOWN>THUMBS UP>PLAY>PLAY

The HD Menu system is gone.

I have the upgraded fios internet package. Netflix streaming works fine.

The boxes are hard wired (each of them coming off a network switch)

Anyone have any ideas? I called tivo and they recommended me ordering a roamio box I just want to get my existing equipment working like it was yesterday.
mypape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

No idea what could have caused it.

Have you checked the video and output settings? As I recall, there are some circumstances where if they are set for an old CRT (4:3 ratio and/or only 480i output), then you will not be given the option for the HD menu.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
supasta

Have there been any other changes? New or different HDMI cables/connections? New TV?

Has anything changed?

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
HomeUser

Check the video output format it has to be 720p or above.

"settings & Messages" -> "Settings" -> "Video"
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
mypape

Yeah I have checked all of that. Everything was working fine no new cables. Anyone think it could be the network switches? I mean I assume if it can connect to the mothership and stream amazon and netflix ok there is no issue. Does everyone concur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Check the video output format it has to be 720p or above.

"settings & Messages" -> "Settings" -> "Video"

Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
mypape

Called Tivo again and was told they would put my boxes on a list to expedite a update that is coming soon. They said it might fix it or it might not. They seem completely in the dark.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

I've never heard of this happening being reported here either, so I suspect it's not software. Possibly a hardware malfunction of the HDMI hardware that the TiVo knows about but isn't telling you? If so, there's a chance that logs on the TiVo may tell you (or 2nd level TiVo support folks) something.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
WhiskeyTango

All of A sudden...just saying.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypape View Post
I called tivo and they recommended me ordering a roamio box.

This should not be acceptable.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post

This should not be acceptable.
Why not? If indeed it is a hardware problem with the current box (and I think there's a good chance it's hardware related since nobody else sees the problem), then that would be my recommendation as well. It's not worth trying to repair the current unit, and if a replacement is needed, I would definitely say get a Roamio,
Old 11-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Why not? If
If the problem were accurately diagnosed to be unfixable tivo hardware/software, then recommending new hardware would be in order, but that's not what we have here. The problem here is that tivo doesn't even know what the problem is, so recommending a complete replacement is 100% self serving on their part.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
If the problem were accurately diagnosed to be unfixable tivo hardware/software, then recommending new hardware would be in order, but that's not what we have here. The problem here is that tivo doesn't even know what the problem is, so recommending a complete replacement is 100% self serving on their part.
Again, why? What do you want them to suggest? The only possibilities are new hardware, new software, or reset the machine. New software won't help. I see no indication that resetting the machine will help (ie, doing a clear and delete everything) though that might be tried. The only other answer is new hardware, which is what TiVo suggests for everybody with problems - how many replacement Roamios have you read about on these forums for problems that are pretty clearly not the Roamio's fault (cablecard issues in particular)? And these unneeded replacement Roamios come at TiVo's expense; it's not a question of TiVo wanting a sale.

TiVo can never recommend opening the case and have the user check something or change something. Unlike computers, key components are not shielded and it's possible to get a shock if you're not careful. That limits TiVo's repair option recommendations to replacement of unit because of legal and regulatory issues. That's the way it's always been, and they don't have any choice about it (other than increasing the cost of the unit by designing it to be user serviceable.)
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
shamilian

The HD Menu selection is a back end setting controlled by Tivo.

It is only enabled when you have activated the Tivo on your account. I would check your account status on that Tivo. Then call Tivo back and have them check their version of the account status. (System Info - Tivo Service Account status and Tivo Service Level both affect the services you receive)

In previous versions of Tivo software I have had the Tivo box change state to "not activated" due to some bug, the only fix was a reboot of the box.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
how many replacement Roamios have you read about on these forums for problems that are pretty clearly not the Roamio's fault (cablecard issues in particular)? And these unneeded replacement Roamios come at TiVo's expense; it's not a question of TiVo wanting a sale.
Nice diversion - or maybe you just aren't paying attention. The issue here is not on a Roamio and Tivo offering a warranty replacement on a Roamio is very different than recommending the OP buy a Roamio to replace his slightly older Tivos.

Considering the problem seems to have appeared on both of the OP's XL4s at the same time, I'm inclined to believe it's a network problem.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
mypape

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Nice diversion - or maybe you just aren't paying attention. The issue here is not on a Roamio and Tivo offering a warranty replacement on a Roamio is very different than recommending the OP buy a Roamio to replace his slightly older Tivos.

Considering the problem seems to have appeared on both of the OP's XL4s at the same time, I'm inclined to believe it's a network problem.
Yeah I thought network issue to. I am a network engineer by trade and I have spent more hours on this than I care to admit. I even broke down the network to its simplest form. Router->Both TiVo's hardwired directly. With all switches and other devices pulled from the network. Same SD menus with no options for HD in the DISPLAY Menu.

I ended up deciding time is worth more than money sometimes and begrudgingly
paying for a new Roamio Pro and TiVo Mini. I am back in HD Goodness but a much less happy TiVo customer. At this point the days of recommending TiVo to anyone that will listen are over. I appreciate every one that attempted to assist me on my issue and I wish I had a solution to offer up.