TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
RayChuang88

Roamio on Xfinity?

Question: has anyone used the six-tuner version of the Roamio on Comcast's Xfinity digital cable service successfully? And can I keep the CableCARD now used on my TiVo HD XL DVR?

TiVo HD XL (153 hours HD)
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post
Question: has anyone used the six-tuner version of the Roamio on Comcast's Xfinity digital cable service successfully? And can I keep the CableCARD now used on my TiVo HD XL DVR?
Yes and yes, for Comcast in Hartford CT

Old 11-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
jrock

Yes for Comcast Clinton CT. I replaced an old Series 3 HD TiVo and used one of the two Scientific Atlanta cards out of it.

It had a few issues and I have been worried. The first show I watched it recorded had several areas with pixelation and lost a few seconds of show. After it happening the 4th or 5th time in that show I streamed it from the Premiere and it did not have the same problem.

Then I checked the signal and saw all 6 tuners had 100 signal, SNR of 41, and a 0 RS Corrected/Uncorrected . I searched around and found an issue that sounded similar with verizon fios and older Motorola cable cards. My TiVo Premiere has a 92 signal and 36 SNR witch is about perfect from the required signal range on the TiVo website. The card is a 2009 so it is older but I haven't found anyone else complaining of the Scientific Atlanta cards from Comcast on the internet.

I rebooted the Roamio and it hasn't had that problem again yet. I have watched 15 to 20 shows in the week since it was installed. It worked fine for a full week then locked up 2 days in a row so I'm not sure what caused that yet or if it will continue. If it locks up again today (3rd day in a row) I'll call TiVo and see what they say. Other than that it works perfect right now

-Joe
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
scooby2

Yes here in Chicago land. All 6 tuners are confirmed working on the Roamio Pro. The tech that brought the mcard out yesterday was very knowledgeable about cable cards and even knew to call the Comcast Cable Card hotline as normal reps typically do not know what to do.

I'm not sure if its Roamio or Comcast but a lot of HD channels look sharper vs Dish w/ Hopper.
scooby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post

Yes. I am up in North Sacramento (Del Paso/Robla) using Comcast Xfinity.

Had the roamio plus delivered Friday, transferred my series3 programs, moved a cable card from the series3 to the roamio, paired it and got 6 tuners up and running - no problem at all. Picture looks just as good, if not better. Menus noticibly snappier.

Good luck!
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
drugrep

Agreed with above posts. Chicago Suburbs here with Motorola M-Card and all 6 tuners working.

If you use your old M-Card, you will need to have Comcast pair it to new machine.
Series 1 (Retired)
drugrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
patrickthickey

yes

Yes and yes in Berkeley, CA.

We use Xfinity On-Demand regularly with our Roamio Plus. I retained one of the Motorola cable cards from my retired Series 3, returned the other.

This card works perfectly with the new Roamio.

We experienced one evening, a few months ago, of the yet-to-be-defined Error 53 issue (use search) but that has not happened again.

I would say it all works as advertised.
patrickthickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
MScottC

Yes and Yes, Jersey City, NJ
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Old Hickory

It must be the single M card, right?
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
It must be the single M card, right?
Single M card - Yes.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
ilisira

Yes in southwest VA with SA cable card.
ilisira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
tcorning

I think it will depend on how old the card is that you are using. I had a card that worked fine in my TiVo HD but was too old for the Roamio. When I brought it in to swap it the rep looked at it and remarked on how old it was! The new card works just fine though.
tcorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
lickwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post
Yes and yes in Berkeley, CA.

We use Xfinity On-Demand regularly with our Roamio Plus. I retained one of the Motorola cable cards from my retired Series 3, returned the other.

This card works perfectly with the new Roamio.

We experienced one evening, a few months ago, of the yet-to-be-defined Error 53 issue (use search) but that has not happened again.

I would say it all works as advertised.
Yes, and yes. Also in Berkeley, CA. Had the V53 error a few times the first week I had it, but switching channels or tuners usually fixed the problem. Haven't experienced in the past month or so.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
ilisira

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorning View Post
I think it will depend on how old the card is that you are using. I had a card that worked fine in my TiVo HD but was too old for the Roamio. When I brought it in to swap it the rep looked at it and remarked on how old it was! The new card works just fine though.
I had a couple of weeks gap in between the HD, and Roamio (gave X1 a try, and it was not a pretty experience). Anyway, my previous SA card was from 2010, and the new card is from 2011 according to the label..
ilisira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

All 6 are working fine for me with a single M-card on Comcast Xfinity in Atlanta.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #16
shortcut3d

All 6 tuners work fine in the Comcast / Xfinity Palo Alto, CA market. Same cable card from 3-tuner SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime tuners a couple years ago. We also get On Demand and can call in for Pay-per-view sporting events.
shortcut3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
synchro71

Works perfectly in northern CO as well (Fort Collins / Loveland area), also took the m-card from HDHomerun Prime and had it paired with the Plus. On-demand and PPV working as well, I actually prefer the on-demand style on the Roamio over the Comcast units as they seems much faster to navigate .
synchro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Tanquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickthickey View Post
...We use Xfinity On-Demand regularly with our Roamio Plus. I retained one of the Motorola cable cards from my retired Series 3, returned the other...
I have two TiVo HDs each with one card and I would think they are multi stream as I only need one card in one of the two slots to get 2 tuners working. But patrickthickey said he had two cards in his Series 3 and just used one of them in the Roamio Plus. So, the Series 3 has two PCMCIA slots but can’t use a multi stream card so there were two multi stream cards in the Series 3?

Also, I’m guessing you have to go through the over the phone pairing when moving cards?
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post
All 6 tuners work fine in the Comcast / Xfinity Palo Alto, CA market. Same cable card from 3-tuner SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime tuners a couple years ago. We also get On Demand and can call in for Pay-per-view sporting events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro71 View Post
Works perfectly in northern CO as well (Fort Collins / Loveland area), also took the m-card from HDHomerun Prime and had it paired with the Plus. On-demand and PPV working as well, I actually prefer the on-demand style on the Roamio over the Comcast units as they seems much faster to navigate .
OK, I gotta ask. Why are both of you leaving the HDHomerun primes in favor of the Roamio? I'm about to go back the other way and ditch this buggy POS for the only cable platform that was stable for me, the Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe. I don't know why I talked myself out of it, fond memories of TiVo past I guess. :-/

Ceton fixed my missing 5th and 6th tuners (V58 on TiVo) and tuning issues (V53) in half a day with a new firmware that messages the cablecard and TA properly. Why is it so damned hard for TiVo engineers to do the same damned thing??? It's been months for my Roamio Pro and still no dice!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
kupe
Viva 'la Tivolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Also, Iím guessing you have to go through the over the phone pairing when moving cards?
Same question- thanks! We are thinking of replacing our Tivo HD (2 tuner- one M card) with a new Roamio Plus and installing the existing M card. We are Comcast Xfinity in Atlanta if that makes any difference on if a truck-roll is required- or can be done over phone?

Thanks!

Kupe
kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #21
HarperVision

Comcast has a National cablecard hotline, just Google it or search this website or theirs. No truck roll should be needed. It can be paired with your new Roamio over the phone.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
skid71

CableCard phone # 877.405.2298

A truck roll should not be required.
If VOD is available through the TiVo in your area and you want to get it working be patient.

There are a couple of threads dedicated to the VOD issue.

Best of luck
skid71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #23
mykee50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
Yes. I am up in North Sacramento (Del Paso/Robla) using Comcast Xfinity.

Had the roamio plus delivered Friday, transferred my series3 programs, moved a cable card from the series3 to the roamio, paired it and got 6 tuners up and running - no problem at all. Picture looks just as good, if not better. Menus noticibly snappier.

Good luck!
All 6 work here in Seattle on an old m-card (2008). I got everything hooked up yesterday and called Comcast to pair.

Is there any way to batch transfer season passes and recorded shows from the old tivos'? I have 4 S3's to do. I'm currently checking off everything in the old TiVo to transfer individually.

I can't get Xfinity or HBO go to work yet. I'll try again after transferring all of my shows. I might be overloading my modem/router. It's been transferring for 18 hours now and 5% full.

Other that those few problems this box is great!! Can't wait to try remote streaming...

Thanks, Mike
mykee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykee50 View Post

All 6 work here in Seattle on an old m-card (2008). I got everything hooked up yesterday and called Comcast to pair.

Is there any way to batch transfer season passes and recorded shows from the old tivos'? I have 4 S3's to do. I'm currently checking off everything in the old TiVo to transfer individually.

I can't get Xfinity or HBO go to work yet. I'll try again after transferring all of my shows. I might be overloading my modem/router. It's been transferring for 18 hours now and 5% full.

Other that those few problems this box is great!! Can't wait to try remote streaming...

Thanks, Mike
Use a program called "kmttg" for transferring.