TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
marklyn

Roamio and Time Warner Austin - found my deal breaker

I was so close to pulling the trigger on purchasing a Roamio and connecting Time Warner Cable. I did a good amount of research on the equipment, service, cost against my current satellite programming, etc., then...
I looked closely at Time Warner Austin's digital cable line up and saw a lot of the little icons next to about 10 of the channels I really like (Military channel, OWN, BIO, LOGO, cloo, SOAPNet, etc.)
Contacted them and they confirmed that these channels won't work with a cable card setup so it looks like I won't be able to give up that many channels I regularly watch.

Arrrrgh. I'm glad I did a double take.

This sux.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin

Last edited by marklyn : 11-12-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: fixed grammer
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Did they say why they won't work with a cable card setup?
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
windracer
joined the 10k club

Maybe those are just SDV channels that require a tuning adapter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
moyekj

I call BS by Time Warner, and you need to get an explanation from them why not. Series 4 & 5 TiVos support SDV channels coupled with a Tuning Adapter, both series also support H.264 channels, and both series can tune up to 1GHz frequencies, so basically any digital channel from cable company can be tuned.
Only reason they won't work on series 5 TiVos is if they are still only analog broadcasts (and don't have digital simulcasts).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

TW's web pages say they support cable cards, they have their own DVR's that I bet have cable cards inside them. I think you got a hold of a customer support person that needs training, or needs to be fired.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Maybe those are just SDV channels that require a tuning adapter?
I asked the guy about the tuning adapter and he said,no, that was related to a device with multiple tuners (6 in Roamio's case). He said those channels required two way communication and this was not possible in a cable card situation. Either the guy is a great poker player (liar) or he truly believes what he's saying because he sounded like he really knew what he was talking about.

So I guess I need to research if anyone else in Austin, on the same system, has this setup and whether it's working. I'd find it difficult to believe that they would charge the same price if they couldn't offer all of the channels in the package. I agree, it does sound fishy.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
He said those channels required two way communication and this was not possible in a cable card situation.
This is what the tuning adapter is for (two-way communication). Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, or doesn't care because they want to rent you their own DVR.

|
Old 11-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Might want to read this thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=316313

It's a long one but you should be able to get an idea of TW's support for cable card TiVo's.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
marklyn

Quote:
This is what the tuning adapter is for (two-way communication). Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about, or doesn't care because they want to rent you their own DVR.
Just spoke to another TW drone and explained the exact scenario to him and he said same thing, no go. Then I asked him about the tuning adapter and whether or not it was supposed to provide me with that functionality so I could see those channels. He had to 'check' then said yes, it would!?!

I laid into him. Idiots.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 11-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
tatergator1

I also call BS. I pulled up the PDF of your channels and do see the curious way they have marked numerous stations as "Not available with CableCard." I'm on TWC in Central Ohio and I can tell just by looking at a sampling of stations that these are sent via SDV, so it would be true that they cannot be received with a CableCard alone.

If I also pulled up the PDF of my channel list for reference; instead of "Not available with CableCard," a similar sampling of stations are more correctly marked "Digital format only; two-way compatible digital cable ready equipment, such as a digital set-top box or CableCARD equipped UDCP used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter, required."

The only way this is true is if the TWC Austin region does not provide Tuning Adapters. However, I'm pretty sure that would be a violation of FCC regulations, but I don't have the reference on that.

Edit: Looks like you just confirmed my thought via the previous post. TWC support is useless. If/when you do go with the Roamio, make sure to search for the TWC CableCard phone number when it comes time to setup your CableCard. They are the only TWC support staff who have a clue and should get you up and running quickly.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

As expected, phone support "script monkeys" usually have very little technical knowledge. And unfortunately it sometimes doesn't get any better when you have technician on site. First two or three cable card installs I had done when CableOne was forcing a truck roll on me was kind of ridiculous. During the first one the tech actually said, "I've never installed a cable card before." I showed him how to do it. Which is to say, I read the instructions that came with the TiVo and waited for him to call the head end and read the numbers off the screen.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I also call BS. I pulled up the PDF of your channels and do see the curious way they have marked numerous stations as "Not available with CableCard." I'm on TWC in Central Ohio and I can tell just by looking at a sampling of stations that these are sent via SDV, so it would be true that they cannot be received with a CableCard alone.

If I also pulled up the PDF of my channel list for reference; instead of "Not available with CableCard," a similar sampling of stations are more correctly marked "Digital format only; two-way compatible digital cable ready equipment, such as a digital set-top box or CableCARD equipped UDCP used in conjunction with a Tuning Adapter, required."

The only way this is true is if the TWC Austin region does not provide Tuning Adapters. However, I'm pretty sure that would be a violation of FCC regulations, but I don't have the reference on that.

Edit: Looks like you just confirmed my thought via the previous post. TWC support is useless. If/when you do go with the Roamio, make sure to search for the TWC CableCard phone number when it comes time to setup your CableCard. They are the only TWC support staff who have a clue and should get you up and running quickly.
So, I'm curious on what order things need to be done. After my cable TV is activated, do I get the Tivo setup/authorized, then the cable card next?
Also, does the tuning adapter need to be setup or authorized to work?
Thanks in advance.
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
tatergator1

Quote:
So, I'm curious on what order things need to be done. After my cable TV is activated, do I get the Tivo setup/authorized, then the cable card next?
Also, does the tuning adapter need to be setup or authorized to work?
Thanks in advance.
Correct. Set up the Tivo first and purchase service from Tivo. You'll want to run through Guided Setup on the Tivo next (there will be a screen asking about the CableCard, select the option for installing that later.) There will likely be one, maybe two update cycles for the software before the Tivo is really ready to go.

You'll want to order/pick-up your Cable Card and Tuning Adapter from Time Warner. If you're ordering online, there should be a line-item for "CableCard and Tuning Adapter" on the screen where you select your equipment. I was able to get mine mailed directly to me after the fact. You can also get them from the larger TWC retail offices.

Once you have the CableCard and Tuning adapter, start with the CableCard (CC). Pop it into the back of the Tivo and it should pop-up the CC screen. On this screen should be Host ID and Data ID. You'll need these when talking to TWC. Call 1.866.606.5889 (CableCard support desk) and they'll ask for those ID numbers and take it from there. Ideally, it will take a couple minutes. You should also be able to install the Tuning Adapter, and as long as the billing on your account is correct, the Tuning Adapter should authorize itself once you connect it to the coax. The CableCard support desk can troubleshoot the Tuning Adapter as well if needed.

One piece of advice on the Tuning Adapter install. Buy a good 2-way splitter (something like this.) and attach it to the coax coming out of the wall. Then run a line to both the Tivo and the Tuning Adapter. The Coax Out port on the Tuning Adapter can introduce significant signal loss, as well as cut the signal for all channels, not just the SDV ones during a Tuning Adapter lock-up.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
One piece of advice on the Tuning Adapter install. Buy a good 2-way splitter (something like this.) and attach it to the coax coming out of the wall. Then run a line to both the Tivo and the Tuning Adapter. The Coax Out port on the Tuning Adapter can introduce significant signal loss, as well as cut the signal for all channels, not just the SDV ones during a Tuning Adapter lock-up.
You don't really have to implement that step if you're using a Cisco/SA tuning adapter except for the last part of losing all channels if it turns off. These TAs don't exhibit the signal loss like the Motorola does. You're likely to get more loss and noise injected with the splitter.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
windracer
joined the 10k club

The internal splitter in the TA can filter out MoCA though (at least in my experience with the Cisco STA1520) so I always use a good splitter.

|
Old 11-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
HarperVision

Quote:
The internal splitter in the TA can filter out MoCA though (at least in my experience with the Cisco STA1520) so I always use a good splitter.
True. Definitely something to take into consideration if you're using moca.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
True. Definitely something to take into consideration if you're using moca.
tatorGator1, thanks for the detailed info.

I will be using moca, so I'll keep that in mind. Is it possible I can ask them for a specific brand of cablecard or tuning adapter, or is that not necessary?
MOCA
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
Old 11-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
tatergator1

Quote:
Is it possible I can ask them for a specific brand of cablecard or tuning adapter, or is that not necessary?
No, TA's and CC's are specific to the local infrastructure in use by the cable company. You get the brand they give you. You'll likely get a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta Cable Card and a Cisco Tuning Adapter as the majority of TWC areas use Cisco equipment.