TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
ADG
Allan

Manual Recording Anomaly

Since the return to Eastern Standard Time last week I've noticed an anomaly with manual recording. Last week and this week I wanted to set manual recordings for The Good Wife and The Mentalist due to NFL games running late. Here's what happened:

* Both weeks when I set the recording for The Good Wife I received a message saying the recording time had already passed. For example, this week I set the time from 9:45PM to 10:45PM (I performed the action at 7:45PM). A message popped up saying the starting time had already passed (which, obviously, it hadn't). I clicked on OK and the recording was then set properly.

* Last week because of the very late start time I set The Mentalist to start at 11:15PM and end at 12:15AM. TiVo refused to accept the manual setting, saying the end time had already passed. Apparently it wouldn't (or couldn't) recognize that 12:15AM was the next day and not the current day.

I've never had this issue before. Please note I have not yet received the new Fall Software Update, so that clearly isn't part of the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
cherry ghost

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510840
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
ADG
Allan

Thanks much. And apparently I started a similar thread two years ago - which I completely forgot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Since the return to Eastern Standard Time last week I've noticed an anomaly with manual recording. Last week and this week I wanted to set manual recordings for The Good Wife and The Mentalist due to NFL games running late. Here's what happened:

* Both weeks when I set the recording for The Good Wife I received a message saying the recording time had already passed. For example, this week I set the time from 9:45PM to 10:45PM (I performed the action at 7:45PM). A message popped up saying the starting time had already passed (which, obviously, it hadn't). I clicked on OK and the recording was then set properly.

* Last week because of the very late start time I set The Mentalist to start at 11:15PM and end at 12:15AM. TiVo refused to accept the manual setting, saying the end time had already passed. Apparently it wouldn't (or couldn't) recognize that 12:15AM was the next day and not the current day.

I've never had this issue before. Please note I have not yet received the new Fall Software Update, so that clearly isn't part of the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.
My solution is to set the end time for the Mentalist by an extra hour. It has never failed. But it has come close. But I'm using a Season Pass. The guide also has problems with midnight.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

Yes, the workaround is actually very simple -- just use the program guide and record everything in the time frame you want regardless of what show is listed. I was just reporting the issue I ran into and checking to see if others also encountered it. Thanks though

Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
agredon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
My solution is to set the end time for the Mentalist by an extra hour. It has never failed. But it has come close. But I'm using a Season Pass. The guide also has problems with midnight.
I did that for a while and then CBS started scheduling them 30 minutes later when they have Double Headers. Then, one night I came home to find the first 15 minutes missing. Apparently, while they moved the start time back 30 minutes, if the games ended sooner they would start the show earlier than the scheduled start time. Now, I have to pad those 30 before/30 after, which the TiVo will not allow (max. 10 minutes before), so I have to set Sunday night CBS as a manual recording (10 PM - 12 AM) to be sure. Quite annoying.

The real problem is that they do not allocate enough time for sports. They seem to think that a game takes 3 hours, when 3:30 is usually the bare minimum and 4 hours is common. I remember one time (a game on NBC) was scheduled to end at 11 PM and be followed by news. I finally went to bed at 1:30 AM and the game was just ending (2:30 over the scheduled end time). If they would schedule games for 4 hours, overruns would less common (restricted mostly to games that go into overtime). If the games end in 3:30, they could just show 30 minutes of commercials and/or shorts.
agredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
moose53

I'm on the East Coast. I used to Season Pass record: Amazing Race, The Good Wife, The Mentalist. When they put football on, everything gets kerfluffled.

I finally started recording a block of time from 7PM to 1AM (yeah, 6 hours). I can start and stop watching whenever I want. It even gets the 11 o'clock news which might not come on 'til 12:00 or 12:30. (Sometimes, I don't watch The Mentalist 'til Tuesday or Wednesday.)

They're using the data from Zap2it for the channel listings ... that's one source. I don't know why they can't just fix the thing so that everything that flows out from it can be *RIGHT*. We can tell when a comet is coming bye. We can tell when the train will arrive. Yet, we can't tell when a TV show is gonna be on ... YEESH!! :GRIN: