TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
bradesp

Howto Combine OTA Input w/Analog Cable?

I just purchased the Roamio base model so that I could record OTA HD + Analog Cable. Here's my challenge... there is only 1 Coax input on the rear of the Roamio... Can anyone tell me if theres a way to combine an OTA Input and an Analog Cable input that connects to the Coax input?
bradesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradesp View Post
I just purchased the Roamio base model so that I could record OTA HD + Analog Cable. Here's my challenge... there is only 1 Coax input on the rear of the Roamio... Can anyone tell me if theres a way to combine an OTA Input and an Analog Cable input that connects to the Coax input?
Hurry up and return it for a refund while you can.

As you can see from the following chart:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-roamio-comparison.php

the base model is the only one that does OTA, but it only does either it OR digital cable, but not both at the same time, and none of the 3 models, as best I can tell, do analog cable at all.

You might be better off with a good used S3 or S4, although some of the S4s are picky about what they will and won't tune, also.

You might consider a "which TiVo is right for me?" thread in the Coffee House or Help forum (choose just one, keep all the answers in the same place), and provide as much info on your situation as possible--location, cable company, other equipment in the house tv-wise, what sort of OTA antenna you have or plan, whether you have any previous TiVo owning or using experience, or if we should be careful not to assume knowledge on your part which we've come to take for granted in each other, et cetera.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradesp View Post
The only TiVos that can do OTA HD and analog cable at the same time are the the original Series 3, TiVo HD & HD XL, Premiere, & Premiere XL all a dual tuner units.

None of the Roamio units or the 4 Tuner Premiere units (Premiere 4 & 4XL) can do analog cable at all.

On a side note if you are willing to have multiple DVRs the base Roamio unit is an excellent HD OTA DVR and given that analog cable is only SD you could pick up a lower cost used Series 2 unit (single or dual tuner) for analog cable. Those older Series 2 machines with lifetime service are fairly cheap.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-10-2013 at 07:30 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
The only TiVos that can do OTA HD and analog cable at the same time are the the original Series 3, TiVo HD & HD XL, Premiere, & Premiere XL all a dual tuner units.

None of the Roamio units or the 4 Tuner Premiere units (Premiere 4 & 4XL) can do analog cable at all.

On a side note if you are willing to have multiple DVRs the base Roamio unit is an excellent HD OTA DVR and given that analog cable is only SD you could pick up a lower cost used Series 2 unit (single or dual tuner) for analog cable. Those older Series 2 machines with lifetime service are fairly cheap.
I have an S2 with lifetime and a big, new hard drive if you're interested - need to sell it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
PM me if you'd like more details.

ETA: single tuner model only.

Last edited by Crrink : 11-11-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post
I have an S2 with lifetime and a big, new hard drive if you're interested - need to sell it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
PM me if you'd like more details.
I've got a lifetime service 2 tuner Premiere with 45h HD recording (TCD746320) that I can sell if interested.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
bmgoodman

I have a Series 3 OLED with a 1 TB drive and lifetime service that I'm planning to sell once I'm sure my Roamio is working properly. You could PM me if you're interested and not in a huge hurry. :P
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote