Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #8821
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
It is about a $16/mo savings because I don't think anyone is paying HD fees.
I pay HD fees (Comcast won't remove it), but I don't pay outlet fees.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #8822
ndsports316

Quote:
1 m-card supports all tuners.

It is about a $16/mo savings because I don't think anyone is paying HD fees. That adds up when you have multiple TiVos devices over multiple Comcast boxes. A couple of years ago clueless installer tried to add that fee once but I told him not to do that because it isn't necessary. After pairing the card, all channels -- SD and HD come in fine. The only extra thing to do is ensure the onDemand code is applied but that isn't an additional cost. Streampix is extra but not onDemand.

You don't have to deal with clueless installers these days. Just call the 877 number.
On the Tivo site, it looks like the xfintiy on demand feature is not available in IL yet. So it looks like I won't receive dish on demand.
ndsports316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 AM   #8823
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I pay HD fees (Comcast won't remove it), but I don't pay outlet fees.
From Comcast's price list in my region: HD Technology Fee -- "HD converter replaces standard definition converter on primary outlet."
c3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #8824
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I just got my second Comcast bill. There is no HD fee, no outlet fees, and the three CableCARDs are listed as $0.00 each. I'm not really sure how that happened, but I am not going to complain. I turned in the standard def cable box that was provided as part of my package pricing when I picked up the three cards.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #8825
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I just got my second Comcast bill. There is no HD fee, no outlet fees, and the three CableCARDs are listed as $0.00 each. I'm not really sure how that happened, but I am not going to complain. I turned in the standard def cable box that was provided as part of my package pricing when I picked up the three cards.
Good! It is unfair how inconsistent billing is for TiVos. No one should be paying HD fees.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #8826
ndsports316

Quote:
Good! It is unfair how inconsistent billing is for TiVos. No one should be paying HD fees.
Seems like comcast does whatever they want. The whole point I finally decided to get cable and tivo is to avoid paying HD Fees/DVR Fees and even the Cablecard should be free. Once I get everything up and going, and get my bill, i will call comcast to ask why they are charging for the cable card. Altough i did see how somebody on another post said the 1.50 fee is for the 2nd stream for the M-card, but Comcast can not tell what Tivo you have, that would mean on a 4 tuner tivo they would have to charge you 1.50 x 3 for 3 streams since the first one is free right?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #8827
lpwcomp

Whoever claimed that the charge is for "the second stream" is delusional.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #8828
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsports316 View Post
Seems like comcast does whatever they want.
I think it has more to do with inconsistent training. They push their own POS DVR so hard that everyone ends up going that option so all the reps deal with TiVos infrequently, despite TiVo being cheaper in the long haul and easier to use with more features.

I guess it comes down to one of my favorite quotes: "Hard work pays off over time, but laziness pays off now"
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #8829
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Altough i did see how somebody on another post said the 1.50 fee is for the 2nd stream for the M-card,
That's for the second CARD in the same device.
c3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #8830
ndsports316

I got the tivo setup and paired to the card. Most of the channels are working and i get about a 93 signal level on a good portion of the channels. I however for my live can not receive nbc channel 5 in HD. There is like 1 or 2 locals that do not receive a signal, and it makes no sense. its like channel 2 (93 signal), 5 (no signal), 7 (93 signal). Any ideas?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #8831
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
I got the tivo setup and paired to the card. Most of the channels are working and i get about a 93 signal level on a good portion of the channels. I however for my live can not receive nbc channel 5 in HD. There is like 1 or 2 locals that do not receive a signal, and it makes no sense. its like channel 2 (93 signal), 5 (no signal), 7 (93 signal). Any ideas?
Try 105. You want that anyways. If it doesn't work, call Comcast to re pair.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #8832
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I just got my second Comcast bill. There is no HD fee, no outlet fees, and the three CableCARDs are listed as $0.00 each. I'm not really sure how that happened, but I am not going to complain.
Me either. I have three Tivos. First cablecard is free. Second and Third they are charging me $1.50 ea for, then turning around and giving me a customer owned equipment credit of $2.50 for each one.

If I had enough Tivos, they would be paying me to have cable.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #8833
Davelnlr_

Friend just got a Tivo HD. They gave him a cablecard at the office, and paired it up on the hotline. It shows Val: V, but only gets basic cable channels. The upper tier channels wont come in, and the card shows AUTH: MP.

Tivo site says that means "missing packets" and to check signal strength. His is showing a signal of 100, and S/N ratio of 37.

Any clues as to the cause, so he can try to avoid a truck roll?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #8834
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Friend just got a Tivo HD. They gave him a cablecard at the office, and paired it up on the hotline. It shows Val: V, but only gets basic cable channels. The upper tier channels wont come in, and the card shows AUTH: MP.

Tivo site says that means "missing packets" and to check signal strength. His is showing a signal of 100, and S/N ratio of 37.

Any clues as to the cause, so he can try to avoid a truck roll?
Call Comcast and activate the card. You have to talk to a human and read values to them. The automated system isn't enough.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #8835
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
Call Comcast and activate the card. You have to talk to a human and read values to them. The automated system isn't enough.
He talked to the cablecard team. The card shows to be paired (Val: V), its something in their system they need to correct, since it has him subscribed to digital starter, but none of the digital preferred or sports channels work. They swear on the phone, the card is authorized to pick up the package he subscribes to.

photo by davenlr, on Flickr
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #8836
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
He talked to the cablecard team. The card shows to be paired (Val: V), its something in their system they need to correct, since it has him subscribed to digital starter, but none of the digital preferred or sports channels work. They swear on the phone, the card is authorized to pick up the package he subscribes to.
Call back and get a different rep. There's no magic switch on the TiVo. Comcast has to fix it since it's a problem in their authorization table.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #8837
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Call back and get a different rep. There's no magic switch on the TiVo. Comcast has to fix it since it's a problem in their authorization table.
OK. Just wanted to verify that AUTH:MP didnt indicate he had a bad cablecard before wasting lots of time on the phone. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #8838
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Just wanted to verify that AUTH:MP didnt indicate he had a bad cablecard
Doesn't have anything to do with the card. However mention this when you call. If the rep doesn't have a clue why you're mentioning that, ask that they delete the card off your account entirely and re add it, making sure to send an INIT hit.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #8839
ndsports316

Quote:
Try 105. You want that anyways. If it doesn't work, call Comcast to re pair.
Heres the weird thing, before i got the tivo i had the cable going directly to my HDTV for basic cable and even then my TV could not scan channel 5 (NBC) and 32 (Fox). It worked before i did some wiring in the unit.

Even hooking up the Tivo, I can get the SD channels but not the HD Channels for NBC and Fox. So it appears either my wiring is shot or a tuning adapter is needed? it is really weird.

I just tried a new coax and it still can not pop up on my HDTV tuner or the Tivo turner. So its a comcast line issue and not a cablecard, because i bypassed it.

Last edited by ndsports316 : 09-13-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #8840
ndsports316

well i called Comcast and scheduled a truck role. I know its a signal issue, since the same channels do not come in on my on my hdtv tuner as well. However, I wont be surprised the tech wont be able to give me a new line since he might need to access unit below me in order to run the cable. Our condo patios are mini closets where our heater/air conditioners are and the cables are ran through everyone utility closet.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #8841
mleland

Quote:
The best way is to keep the card; getting a new one will require you to activate it again. It's more of a headache than you want.Perhaps; I'm not really sure. I don't think the old account holder needs to be present to drop off equipment; my local FFO has an equipment drop box that's available 24/7.

Give them a call and ask. The phone lines are open 24/7, but keep in mind the more competent reps work banker's hours.

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get the M-Card removed from the old account and added to new account with one comcast store visit. Then I was able to activate the card on the new account via the activation website. It took about 10min to fully activate but I now get all channels in the new city on the new account. I did NOT have to go through another pairing operation!!

Mike
mleland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #8842
morac
Cat God

Okay I know the answer is probably "who knows", but I'll ask anyway.

I picked up a Roamio and since I'm out of physical places to put TiVos, I plan to retire my old OLED Series 3. That box has 2 S-Cards which won't work in the Roamio obviously, so I need to get an M-card from Comcast.

I'm one of the lucky fee who isn't paying an outlet fee, but is getting a $2.50 credit per card, which currently adds up to $10 since I have 3 cards (2 in S3, 1 in Premiere and 1 in XL). Basically currently the more cards I have, the cheaper my service.

I'm trying to decide if I should chance things and pick up another M-Card to get another $2.50 credit and hope Comcast doesn't suddenly add outlet fees or turn in the 2 S-Cards and get the one M-card which will decrease my credit by $2.50, but is less likely to trigger adding of outlet fees. I don't want to move the M-cards from the two Premieres.

Has anyone who isn't paying fees recently added another card? If so how did that affect your billing?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #8843
morac
Cat God

I decided to go the "safe route", so I'll see what happens.

Setting up was a breeze, I called and was activated, paired and watching TV in less than 5 minutes. The only thing missing is Xfinity On Demand, which the TiVo site says can take 24 to 72 hours to show up. Comcast's web site shows "No make No model" for the new card, while the other cards show "TiVo Premiere" as the make/model, so hopefully TiVo and Comcast get on the same page with that respect.

For people who recently set Up a new TiVo, how long had it taken On Demand to show up?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #8844
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
I decided to go the "safe route", so I'll see what happens.
What was the "safe route"?

No crap On Demand here so I can't comment on that.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #8845
martyscholes

Quote:
Okay I know the answer is probably "who knows", but I'll ask anyway.

I picked up a Roamio and since I'm out of physical places to put TiVos, I plan to retire my old OLED Series 3. That box has 2 S-Cards which won't work in the Roamio obviously, so I need to get an M-card from Comcast.

I'm one of the lucky fee who isn't paying an outlet fee, but is getting a $2.50 credit per card, which currently adds up to $10 since I have 3 cards (2 in S3, 1 in Premiere and 1 in XL). Basically currently the more cards I have, the cheaper my service.

I'm trying to decide if I should chance things and pick up another M-Card to get another $2.50 credit and hope Comcast doesn't suddenly add outlet fees or turn in the 2 S-Cards and get the one M-card which will decrease my credit by $2.50, but is less likely to trigger adding of outlet fees. I don't want to move the M-cards from the two Premieres.

Has anyone who isn't paying fees recently added another card? If so how did that affect your billing?
Not sure about the outlet fees, but a year ago I replaced my HD with XL4, swapping two S-cards for a single M-card. Last month I noticed 2x $1.50 ($3.00) cablecard feeds on my bill.

I called Comcast and got nowhere so I went to the local retail outlet and told them that the only gear attached to the cable was a single Tivo and a single cable modem. They canceled the fees and refunded $36 (12 months at $3.00 per month).

I still have the $2.50 credit.
martyscholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #8846
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

On demand via TiVo is very market-dependent. Are you sure it's available on the TiVo in your market?

It's available here if you have an XFinity box but not on the TiVo.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #8847
morac
Cat God

The "safe route" was returning the 2 S-cards and getting a M-card. Comcast wasn't charging me $1.50 for the 2nd card despite their policy nor are they charging me any outlet fees, but I figured 5 cards might have raised some flags in their system. Otherwise I could just keep requesting more and more cards and getting more and more off my bill.

On demand is available in my area as it's on my Premiere. I'm just waiting for it to show up on the Roamio.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #8848
drawz

In the last week or so, I seem to be having a minor channel lineup issue. I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but it matters to my wife (seriously!).

Lifetime HD and LMNHD seem to be swapped on my Roamio here in Boston. The guide and channel numbers match what Comcast says it should be, but the actual programming material is swapped. This of course throws off recordings. The SD versions of the channels seem to be fine.

I haven't noticed any other abnormalities and this had all been fine since I got my Roamio and also when I had my Premiere until now.
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #8849
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawz View Post
In the last week or so, I seem to be having a minor channel lineup issue. I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but it matters to my wife (seriously!).

Lifetime HD and LMNHD seem to be swapped on my Roamio here in Boston. The guide and channel numbers match what Comcast says it should be, but the actual programming material is swapped. This of course throws off recordings. The SD versions of the channels seem to be fine.

I haven't noticed any other abnormalities and this had all been fine since I got my Roamio and also when I had my Premiere until now.
Fill this out, wait about a week:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...neup_tool.html
Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #8850
drawz

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Submitted.
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote