TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
johnw999

IR Adapter

I bought the IR Adapter for my Series 3. I want to put the tivo in an equipment closet. The Tivo website said that it would work on any unit that has a USB port. Tivo technical service also said that it should work since I have a USB port. The adapter doesn't work, though. A red light in the adapter flashes everytime I push a button on my remote, but the tivo doesn't respond. The instructions also say that the adapter is for a Series 4 (I didn't have that info until I got the actual unit). So, I'm guessing that the Series 3 software simply doesn't support the IR adapter. Has anyone had success with it?
johnw999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw999 View Post
I bought the IR Adapter for my Series 3. I want to put the tivo in an equipment closet. The Tivo website said that it would work on any unit that has a USB port. Tivo technical service also said that it should work since I have a USB port. The adapter doesn't work, though. A red light in the adapter flashes everytime I push a button on my remote, but the tivo doesn't respond. The instructions also say that the adapter is for a Series 4 (I didn't have that info until I got the actual unit). So, I'm guessing that the Series 3 software simply doesn't support the IR adapter. Has anyone had success with it?
If you bought it directly from TiVo, tell them it doesn't work, even though they said it would, and that you need to return it for a full refund.

Don't let them get away with being sloppy like that.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
pmiranda

After you get your money back, order a HotLink IR repeater. It'll work for your TiVo and several other pieces of equipment and I love mine.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
bobdec01

Same story.. Installed mine yesterday. Kick myself for not searching forums first.. Indicator blinks but no changes on the DVR, did notice that the numeric buttons work, nothing else. HD said they are supposed to work, but he gets calls from customers that say they don't work on the Series 3 HD. Apparently the Help Desk has no communication channel to sales to update their documentation.
Sorry about the rant.. off to see how to get my money back..
Old 11-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
steinercat

same boat.

Customer support said it would work.

What are the other alternatives to the IR adapter?
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
same boat.

Customer support said it would work.

What are the other alternatives to the IR adapter?
See right above you a couple of comments where pmiranda said "IR repeater"?

That's a thing that takes in the infrared pulses from the remote at one end (that's out in the room where you can see it and it can see the remote), converts them into an electrical signal, sends that signal down the wire to the other end (stuck inside the cabinet where the device you want to control is and can see that other end), where it converts the signal back to IR and sends it out just like it was the front end of your remote.

No USB involved--as far as your TiVo is concerned, or can tell, that stream of IR pulses is coming straight from the end of your remote, which means it doesn't need some little program in the TiVo software (which apparently S3s don't have) sitting there watching the USB port traffic waiting for something it can translate back into signals from the remote.

And you can put other stuff inside that cabinet and relay the signal from its remote with an IR repeater as well, as long as you get the type that doesn't expect to be taped right over the IR window of a particular device but sends out a fairly strong beam that's not too narrow.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
steinercat

I got this from Amazon.

It works great! Just have to find the spot of the IR on the Tivo.

Using on TivoHD, drawing power from the TivoHD USB port.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote