TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 204 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #601
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by James315 View Post
Forgot to mention, Ed sent FW ending 0601.
Not sure why this over the 1101.

Anyway, I also recall having a problem initially that caused the TiVo to restart.
It's been fine since though as I mentioned above.

0601 is an NDS firmware

1101 is a Cisco firmware

same issue, different cablecards
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #602
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
0601 is an NDS firmware

1101 is a Cisco firmware

same issue, different cablecards
While not a Roamio owner, I have 6 cablecards in use, a mix of PKM800 & PKM802 SA/Cisco cablecards, all were updated to 1.5.3_F.p.0601 firmware, long before the Roamio was released. I have Cox as my MSO, with Cisco STA1520 TAs, that have the 1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601 firmware (and I'm having plenty of problems I only see being currently discussed in the Roamio area).

So I don't see the statement you made to be accurate.

Since Cox is moving channels to SDV on weekdays, and fumbling around doing it, leaving me with missing channels for up to a day on work days, and also on the weekends (that show as analog at 0 or 999Mhz in DVR Diags), and they come back on Mondays, as well as the linear major networks having major A/V issues, and my TiVos getting updated right in the middle of this messy period, I can't say for sure what's going on with anything, or where faults lie.

Just sharing, not trying to pick a fight. While this IS a Roamio thread, there's a lot of hardware talk that can apply to any platform, so I see no harm, no foul, with me posting this.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #603
HDRyder9

Basically, this is a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta issue. It the cable cards were right from the beginning this thread wouldn't be necessary.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #604
andyf

+1

This thread is about CableCard firmware whether it be Cisco/NDS/Motorola. Nothing to do with TiVo hardware.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #605
pshivers
Retired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
A cable card is just a PCMCIA card. If you have an old computer with a PCMCIA slot, the firmware and the software to upgrade it, you could do it yourself. I wonder if Tivo has enough pull with Cisco to get the firmware from them. I'll volunteer to upgrade the cards.
Ah yes the "People Can't Master Computer Industry Acronyms" Card! I don't think I've had a "PCMCIA" slot on any of my computers in at least 5 years!

PCMCIA really means "Peripheral Component Microchannel Interconnect Architecture" Good-Gawd I said "Microchannel", YUK!
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #606
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Basically, this is a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta issue. It the cable cards were right from the beginning this thread wouldn't be necessary.
Quite possibly very true, but no way to prove that 100% yet...

I did call Cox, and they said the same thing they said when TiVo released 4-tuner Premieres, which was very close to this: "We were not notified by TiVo, about their intentions, or product requirements, so we can not be expected to have compatible hardware and firmware, for something we didn't know about until now. It will take time to engineer it, and time to test it."

It wouldn't surprise me if they are telling the truth, or believe that statement, simply because somebody neglected to pass the pertinent data along to the proper channels, in a timely manner...

At least I, for once, in about 2 years DIDN'T hear this line: "We don't support TiVos, nor can you force us to re-engineer our network to use them." Maybe I got the one person who didn't get the memo to say those words, I've heard verbatim, so many times, from so many others at Cox, as well as from their contract field techs. One time they got back in the truck and drove away, as soon as I answered "TiVos" when they asked what equipment I was using.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #607
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
Ah yes the "People Can't Master Computer Industry Acronyms" Card! I don't think I've had a "PCMCIA" slot on any of my computers in at least 5 years!

PCMCIA really means "Peripheral Component Microchannel Interconnect Architecture" Good-Gawd I said "Microchannel", YUK!
Just a FYI: If somebody wanted to try and at least see if you could use a PCMCIA computer slot, you can buy USB adapters for the cards. I've run across them when looking for expresscard adapters, not too long ago, on Newegg.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #608
jaj2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Waiting for Comcast to call back. Although I don't expect to hear from them again.
Comcast called me today (after I sent three emails to their support saying I wanted an answer on when my firmware would be upgraded) and they said it would be 1Q of 2014. I *hate* that I know that Comcast has distributed 1.5.3.1101 to some end users (and not in any sort of beta testing that I'm aware of) but won't to those who request it.
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #609
pshivers
Retired!

I've been running with my Roamio Pro "Dumbed Down" to 5 tuners for a week now on Charter using the .2401 Firmware on my Cisco CableCard.

No problems of any kind receiving all channels! Enabling the 6th tuner would eliminate one programming conflict I have, so it will be appreciated when the Firmware is finally upgraded, in the meantime I will just remain "Fat-Dumb-Happy!
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #610
jaj2276

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Just a FYI: If somebody wanted to try and at least see if you could use a PCMCIA computer slot, you can buy USB adapters for the cards. I've run across them when looking for expresscard adapters, not too long ago, on Newegg.
I have an ExpressCard slot on my laptop. On Amazon, there's this product http://www.amazon.com/Digigear-CardB...=pcmcia+reader
that will read PC Cards.

Anyone have any opinions/answers to the following questions:

1) Is there a way to get the 1.5.3.1101 firmware without getting it off of a card?
2) If no to #1, could the firmware be extracted from an upgraded card?
2a) Would someone with an upgraded card be willing to send it to me to extract the firmware?
3) Is there a way to *write* firmware to one of these cablecards?
4) Assuming yes to #3, would the cablecards get "downgraded" once they started talking to the cable head end?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #611
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshivers View Post
I've been running with my Roamio Pro "Dumbed Down" to 5 tuners for a week now on Charter using the .2401 Firmware on my Cisco CableCard.

No problems of any kind receiving all channels! Enabling the 6th tuner would eliminate one programming conflict I have, so it will be appreciated when the Firmware is finally upgraded, in the meantime I will just remain "Fat-Dumb-Happy!
I've been following as many Roamio threads as I can find time to, since they eclipsed the ghost town Premiere areas. I'm getting better "intel" on my non-Roamio TiVo issues by doing so, plus getting educated on the Roamio.

Some people can make that temporary solution work, others can't, and still miss recordings due to "no signal available".

So, it's probably best practice to keep an eye on the recording history, for "not recorded" items.

Suggestion for/to TiVo: Add another filter to the recording history, so the red "C" button can filter missed recordings, which are not conflicts, as opposed to the current only-way-how of selecting "View All" and having to sort through everything, hunting for missed recordings due to issues with cablecards, tuning adapters, and possibly TiVo issues (note I did say "possibly").

Do the moderators no longer merge threads anymore? It's quite a daily workout trying to find valuable nuggets, scattered across so many threads, buried within so many posts. I just may have to hijack a TARDIS to find these nuggets of intel, scattered throughout all of space and time!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #612
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj2276 View Post
Anyone have any opinions/answers to the following questions:

1) Is there a way to get the 1.5.3.1101 firmware without getting it off of a card?
2) If no to #1, could the firmware be extracted from an upgraded card?
2a) Would someone with an upgraded card be willing to send it to me to extract the firmware?
3) Is there a way to *write* firmware to one of these cablecards?
4) Assuming yes to #3, would the cablecards get "downgraded" once they started talking to the cable head end?
Mostly educated guesses, some opinions, and a little knowledge:

1) As far as I know, and many others have posted: No, only your MSO can provide and authorize it "by acceptable means". Other means should be discussed with great discretion, if at all, publicly - To the best of my knowledge.

2) Unlikely, because it may have protection mechanisms to prevent this, just like EPROMS/PROMS and many flash devices have - Educated guess/knowledge.

2a) Discussing that publicly, is likely against the TCF rules, so tread lightly, and carefully, if you get any responses from anybody offering such assistance. Perhaps take it to PM or email, ASAP, once you hear from somebody. If anybody is willing, I'd suggest they PM their response - To the best of my knowledge.

3) Even if there isn't protection against this (unlikely that there isn't), if your providers head-end doesn't have that card's S/N mated to the newer version, it would likely get re-flashed back, by your MSO, to what it expects to be on it - Educated guess/knowledge

4) Answered by my response to #3, but you never know, until you try.

If I'm wrong about any of this, I welcome any corrections.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-09-2013 at 08:49 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #613
andyf

Quote:
Comcast called me today (after I sent three emails to their support saying I wanted an answer on when my firmware would be upgraded) and they said it would be 1Q of 2014. I *hate* that I know that Comcast has distributed 1.5.3.1101 to some end users (and not in any sort of beta testing that I'm aware of) but won't to those who request it.
Unfortunately this is a regional issue. Just because a certain part of Florida decided to upgrade a couple of folks cards doesn't mean other regions have the same policy.

My Comcast calls made no mention of not knowing what 1.5.3.1101 was, merely that they didn't know whether they could or could not update an individual card. I implied from the conversation that it was more of a "red tape" issue.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #614
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Unfortunately this is a regional issue. Just because a certain part of Florida decided to upgrade a couple of folks cards doesn't mean other regions have the same policy.

My Comcast calls made no mention of not knowing what 1.5.3.1101 was, merely that they didn't know whether they could or could not update an individual card. I implied from the conversation that it was more of a "red tape" issue.
You nailed that!

The MSOs are always reluctant to authorize ANY updates/upgrades that they don't need to authorize for their own leased equipment to operate properly (the red tape, as you said, plus there's always regional/market issues that are isolated, which make matters worse for TiVo users and other 3rd-party products).
Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #615
jaj2276

Quote:

My Comcast executive knew of the 1.5.3.1101 firmware also (as I mentioned in previous updates) but said they couldn't upgrade individual users. I didn't think this was true as I thought that the user who got upgraded to 1.5.3.1101 in Bonita Springs was a one-off (i.e. what are the chances his whole head-end/region got upgraded at the exact time he needed to get upgraded)? Of course I could be mistaken.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #616
andyf

I think it's more of a "won't" vs "couldn't". Pretty sure it's technically possible as demonstrated by the Cablevision folks who got their NDS cards updated.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #617
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
My Comcast executive knew of the 1.5.3.1101 firmware also (as I mentioned in previous updates) but said they couldn't upgrade individual users. I didn't think this was true as I thought that the user who got upgraded to 1.5.3.1101 in Bonita Springs was a one-off (i.e. what are the chances his whole head-end/region got upgraded at the exact time he needed to get upgraded)? Of course I could be mistaken.
I *was* going to post that it's very unusual, or even unheard of, for a MSO to update individual cards (but then didn't until now). It is generally all, or none, unless you are part of a pre-rollout test group, in which case they move your card into a designated group, which is isolated from everybody else not in the pre-rollout test group.

When TiVo put out that ages-old press release that Cox and TiVo had agreed to provide On-Demand on the Premiere platform, I called Cox and was added to the list of people for the initial testing group. Then it all fell apart, and never materialized. Each side still claims the other side was the one who backed out of the agreement (or Cox sometimes would say there never was any agreement on paper, just talks in that direction, when I followed up several times about being in the testing group).

I think many MSOs may not even include anybody but employees to participate in pre-rollout testing. I was shocked when Cox knew what I was talking about and said I was "on the short list".
Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #618
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by James315 View Post
Forgot to mention, Ed sent FW ending 0601.
Not sure why this over the 1101.
We are talking about two different brand cards which use a different firmware base.

SA/Cisco = 1.5.3.1101 (most current, and confirmed good for 6 tuners)
NDS = what is being tested now 3.0.7_F.p.0601 (as per user profet)

Cablevision uses both, it depends on your area.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***

Last edited by AdamNJ : 11-14-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: correcting quoted firmware versions
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #619
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

<post redacted, to avoid confusion, as requested by AdamNJ>

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-09-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #620
AdamNJ

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
...or did you just make a typo?
yes and i've corrected it now in my post. please edit your post and remove the reference to avoid confusion for others.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #621
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
yes and i've corrected it now in my post. please edit your post and remove the reference to avoid confusion for others.
Done.

I always thought there were only SA (now Cisco) & Motorola (now Arris), when it came to cablecards that could be used in a TiVo. This thread is the first place I've heard of NDS, so I'm sure there are others that may not understand talk about NDS.

EDIT/ADD: Cisco now owns NDS

Link at Zatznotfunny (show whole article to see):

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-10/...vo/#more-41489

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-09-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #622
JWhites

Quote:
A cable card is just a PCMCIA card. If you have an old computer with a PCMCIA slot, the firmware and the software to upgrade it, you could do it yourself. I wonder if Tivo has enough pull with Cisco to get the firmware from them. I'll volunteer to upgrade the cards.
It's not a matter of having the pull with Cisco, It's a matter of having the pull with the cable providers to authorize the upgrade. Even if a CableCARD with the upgraded firmware that prevents the issues that are occurring with the Roamio is installed, the instant the Roamio turns on and the card connects to the cable provider, it's gonna download the firmware compatible with the headend anyway. I had a brand new Cisco CableCARD that was factory loaded with the very latest firmware build from 2013, but the instant the coax cable was connected, it downloaded the older 1.5.2_F.p.3001 build from 2011.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #623
HDRyder9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
It's not a matter of having the pull with Cisco, It's a matter of having the pull with the cable providers to authorize the upgrade. Even if a CableCARD with the upgraded firmware that prevents the issues that are occurring with the Roamio is installed, the instant the Roamio turns on and the card connects to the cable provider, it's gonna download the firmware compatible with the headend anyway. I had a brand new Cisco CableCARD that was factory loaded with the very latest firmware build from 2013, but the instant the coax cable was connected, it downloaded the older 1.5.2_F.p.3001 build from 2011.
If that was the case, then every Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cable card in the Bonita Springs/Fort Myers area will have the new firmware. I'm going to check on that.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #624
Jesse.D

I talked to 3 different support groups at TWC NEW (Time Warner Cable, Northeast Wisconsin) and the final consensus is that I have to being the cable card back to the office. Then I have to swap it out, with no guarantee of the firmware on the new card. The local offices have no way to check the firmware on the cards or update them. The system also (apparently) can't update to a newer firmware if it's older than 2 versions from what is currently deployed.

Oh, but they're not sure what's currently deployed, but it can't be that one, it's too old.

Head-ache.

Jesse - CCNA R&S
---
People say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Why? Do they think there's a shortage or bad ones?
Jesse.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #625
cc0n01

I just upgraded from a TivoHD to a Roamio Pro last week. My NDS card from Cablevision is repeated getting the V58 channel not authorized error. I would like to get into the NDS beta test if possible. Can someone PM me Ed from Cablevision email address?
cc0n01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #626
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse.D View Post
I talked to 3 different support groups at TWC NEW (Time Warner Cable, Northeast Wisconsin) and the final consensus is that I have to being the cable card back to the office. Then I have to swap it out, with no guarantee of the firmware on the new card. The local offices have no way to check the firmware on the cards or update them. The system also (apparently) can't update to a newer firmware if it's older than 2 versions from what is currently deployed.

Oh, but they're not sure what's currently deployed, but it can't be that one, it's too old.
Don't feel like the lone stranger. TWC maintains that same high level of Tivo-centric clueless-ness across most (all?) of their service regions.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #627
supie

Quote:
Does this mean that even if I get the 1.5.2_F.p.1101 Cable Card it is going revert to to 1.5.2_F.p.3001 firmware upgrade?
Tivo S3 – 1.25TB – Lifetime
Tivo Desktop – 4TB
Tivo iPad App x2
RIP TiVo S3 x2
RIP Replay TV x 4
supie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #628
NJguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0n01 View Post
I just upgraded from a TivoHD to a Roamio Pro last week. My NDS card from Cablevision is repeated getting the V58 channel not authorized error. I would like to get into the NDS beta test if possible. Can someone PM me Ed from Cablevision email address?
PM'd you with info to contact Cablevision
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #629
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Yep, just like this from my post a few posts back:

Quote:
3) Even if there isn't protection against this (unlikely that there isn't), if your providers head-end doesn't have that card's S/N mated to the newer version, it would likely get re-flashed back, by your MSO, to what it expects to be on it.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #630
MoranJ2000

For what it's worth, I e-mailed we_can_help@comcast.com on 11/8 explaining my situation and requesting to be upgraded to the 1.5.3.1011 firmware in Bonita Springs.

I received a call the next day (on a Saturday morning, no less) from a human female who gave me her name and direct number, and who informed me that my request had been forwarded to escalated technical support (or something like that).

She said I should hear from them within 48 business hours, and that she'd be calling me on Wednesday to check in and see if I had.

Maybe I'm on now on the path to getting that firmware upgrade, or perhaps more BS and disappointment is in store. Time will tell, and I'll post here with updates.

Joe
MoranJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote