TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
IMD

HDXL connect to internet

My 3 yr old Tivo HDXL has lost the ability to connect to the internet. My network runs from a cable modem, through an Apple airport extreme router, then a 10/100 switch, and finally by cable from the switch to the ethernet port on my HDXL. This has been stable for 3 years. I also have a Roamio that connects to this switch. Both Tivos connect to the internet via DHCP.

My cable provider (TWC) changed the channel lineups and both Tivo's wanted me to run Guided Setup again. I did the Roamio with no problems. However, the HDXL can't see the internet, and gives me an N24 error if I connect via DHCP, or says it can't see the network adapter if I have it assign a static IP. I have recycled the switch and the Tivo several times, and still can't connect from the HDXL. I have no problem connecting from the Roamio, so I suspect something is amiss in my HDXL, but I cannot figure out what to do next.
Suggestions?
IMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

As a test, bypass the switch.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

Also, validate that the cord has no issues.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
IMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Also, validate that the cord has no issues.
I'll swap cables and see if the problem persists, how else would I check the cable? The cable has been working for the past 3 years. There is a yellow light at the ethernet port on the Tivo and the light is lit on port on the switch.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMD View Post
I'll swap cables and see if the problem persists, how else would I check the cable? The cable has been working for the past 3 years. There is a yellow light at the ethernet port on the Tivo and the light is lit on port on the switch.
Set a fixed IP on the TiVo and see if you can ping it from a computer on the same network.

Start, Run,

ping 192.168.1.xxx

(assuming your router is set to 192.168.1.1)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
IMD

Swapping cables made no difference. And I could not ping the Tivo from a computer on the network after I set a static IP. This is bizarre, could the onboard ethernet adapter have failed?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Swapping cables made no difference. And I could not ping the Tivo from a computer on the network after I set a static IP. This is bizarre, could the onboard ethernet adapter have failed?
It's not impossible.

Do you have a TiVo-brand wireless adapter you could plug into the USB port for test purposes?

Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
IMD

I don't have a wireless adapter, but I did scrounge up a USB-ethernet adapter leftover from an old Series2 Tivo. And that worked! So the HDXL is now downloading program info, and can once again become a Tivo. But I am perplexed about the ethernet port.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
I don't have a wireless adapter, but I did scrounge up a USB-ethernet adapter leftover from an old Series2 Tivo. And that worked! So the HDXL is now downloading program info, and can once again become a Tivo. But I am perplexed about the ethernet port.
I'm going to guess that it has gone bad and the USB port hasn't gone bad yet.

But that is a guess.

Did you take the same CAT5 or 6 cable out of the TiVo's Ethernet port and plug it into the other end of the USB adapter?

In other words, have we ruled out the cable and the router?

Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
IMD

Yes, I used the same cable, I just unplugged it from the ethernet port and into the USB adapter. I also used the cable to successfully connect other devices to the internet.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Yes, I used the same cable, I just unplugged it from the ethernet port and into the USB adapter. I also used the cable to successfully connect other devices to the internet.
Then I think we can assume that, for some reason, the Ethernet port on your 658 has failed, probably hardware-wise, although the TiVo retains its ability to use Ethernet the networking method/protocol/standard/whatever.

Hope you don't need that USB adapter anywhere else.

Although I've used the TiVo brand wireless G adapter and it's not a bad piece of gear.

No experience yet with their N adapter.

However, anything gone bad or starting to go bad on a Series 2 or Series 3 is your cue to learn up on "capacitor plague" and pop the top on the TiVo to eyeball the power supply.

If your power supply is starting to fail and you fix it, you may find that the Ethernet jack just needed a little more current than it could get. Or not, but that unit's old enough to suspect bad caps anyway, even if nothing's gone wrong yet.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
IMD

Here's the weird thing. This morning I removed the USB adapter and plugged the ethernet cable back into the ethernet jack, and it worked. It was recognized on the Network screen, and I successfully forced a connection to Tivo. It appears that the network port was only unrecognized during the Guided Setup, during which time the Tivo kept looking for a network adapter.

This does sound like an intermittent problem, but I've never heard of the capacitor problem. It is a slightly older Tivo, but our previous Series 2 lasted 10 years, so I wasn't expecting any problems after only 4 years. Is this something I can fix myself?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Here's the weird thing. This morning I removed the USB adapter and plugged the ethernet cable back into the ethernet jack, and it worked. It was recognized on the Network screen, and I successfully forced a connection to Tivo. It appears that the network port was only unrecognized during the Guided Setup, during which time the Tivo kept looking for a network adapter.

This does sound like an intermittent problem, but I've never heard of the capacitor problem. It is a slightly older Tivo, but our previous Series 2 lasted 10 years, so I wasn't expecting any problems after only 4 years. Is this something I can fix myself?
Yes, see this post
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894
And see the thread containing that post. And see the link contained in that post.
These improperly mfr'd caps occurred mainly in the 2006-2009 period, thus did not affect Series 2 Tivo's. There are several threads on this, and even parts lists for specific Tivo models, and if you want to get serious about replacing caps, just post your interest here and you will get more specific advice.

BTW I think your intermittent connectivity problem is more related to network configuration than to Tivo behavior.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
IMD

Thanks for the capacitor tips, I'll look in to the posts. As for the network issue, the odd thing is that while the HDXL was having problems, the Roamio which was routed through the same switch had no network errors.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yes, see this post
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894
And see the thread containing that post. And see the link contained in that post.
These improperly mfr'd caps occurred mainly in the 2006-2009 period, thus did not affect Series 2 Tivo's. There are several threads on this, and even parts lists for specific Tivo models, and if you want to get serious about replacing caps, just post your interest here and you will get more specific advice.

BTW I think your intermittent connectivity problem is more related to network configuration than to Tivo behavior.

As someone who has had to replace caps on at least 2 S2 power supplies, I must beg to differ, and as someone who had several Pentium II BX chipset era motherboards go bad because of "capacitor plague" back in the early 2000s, I must disagree about the time frame as well.

In the sea of problems caused by "capacitor plague", TiVo power supplies are but a few drops of rain (he typed, watching the characters appear on the screen of an HP LCD monitor he got to before the garbage man and one cap kit from lcdalternatives later had an otherwise "free" monitor.)

When it specifically comes to problems connecting to the TiVo servers, I agree that one should not automatically assume that the fault does not lie at their end of the intarwebs, especially this time of year--it's practically a fall tradition.

But the OP should still pop the top and eyeball the power supply.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
DougJohnson

Quote:

When my OLED S3 was new, it stopped talking with my router. It was working fine, then suddenly, neither could see the other. After much fussing with cables and switches, I bought a TiVo wireless and all worked fine. After a while, I tried the hardwired connection again and all was well. It has worked flawlessly since.

I don't like it when problems just go away. It usually means they will be back.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
When my OLED S3 was new, it stopped talking with my router. It was working fine, then suddenly, neither could see the other. After much fussing with cables and switches, I bought a TiVo wireless and all worked fine. After a while, I tried the hardwired connection again and all was well. It has worked flawlessly since.

I don't like it when problems just go away. It usually means they will be back.

-- Doug
And like as not bringing their friends with them.