Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gantt View Post
SlingPlayer/Slingbox seem to stream video just fine to a 3+ year-old Droid X running 2.2.

I'm sure TiVo's engineers are as smart as Sling's.
The TiVo Stream uses encrypted HLS. HLS is only properly supported on Android 4.2+. So unless they completely change how the Stream works between now and the Adroid release, then you're going to need Android 4.2+.

All streaming video is not equal. TiVo is transcoding protected content procured from a CableCARD. They have to use a technology that is approved by Cable Labs. Sling is exploiting the analog hole and does not have to adhere to anything.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Margret, hook a long time tivo customer up. Especially one that has had to live with two premier units since launch day. I deserve the extra love .
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Margret, hook a long time tivo customer up. Especially one that has had to live with two premier units since launch day. I deserve the extra love .
If you email her she might.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #34
Mr. Coffee

Got it, but since Cox Phoenix flags everything outside of the local networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox) as 0x02, you can't stream it outside your home network.

Looks like I'm sticking with my Slingbox.
Mr. Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #35
duckman2000

FYI on the Stream:

Best Buy has them on clearance and they just had another clearance price drop on Thursday. Two stores in my area have them for $67.99 and one store has it for $69.99. A check of several other zip codes show quite a few Best Buys have them on clearance.

You can check online (select a store and select clearance items). If you go into a Best Buy and they are tagged at a higher price, get someone to scan it and it should come up at the clearance price (sometimes the tags don't get changed).
duckman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #36
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman2000 View Post
FYI on the Stream:

Best Buy has them on clearance and they just had another clearance price drop on Thursday. Two stores in my area have them for $67.99 and one store has it for $69.99. A check of several other zip codes show quite a few Best Buys have them on clearance.

You can check online (select a store and select clearance items). If you go into a Best Buy and they are tagged at a higher price, get someone to scan it and it should come up at the clearance price (sometimes the tags don't get changed).
That doesn't make any sense to me, unless they have way too many of them in their warehouses. After all, you still *need* one to have streaming support with the base Roamio model, right?

<remainder redacted>

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #37
bradleys
It'll be fine....

...or the aliens have landed and the end of the world is tomorrow at precisely 4:17pm EST and Best Buy, secretly owned by the aliens for years and angry about the fall of the big box retail model, is trying to eek the last few dollars out of the sheeple before total destruction.

I hear they also own Blockbuster video, but that is a different story.

It's possible!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #38
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
...or the aliens have landed and the end of the world is tomorrow at precisely 4:17pm EST and Best Buy (secretly owned by the aliens for years) is trying to eek the last few dollars out of the sheeple before total destruction.

It's possible!
I don't really have any reason to care, since I don't own any iProducts, or even any android ones.

Do you at least have an opinion on a *logical* reason that BB would be clearancing them out?

<remainder redacted>

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-10-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #39
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Because they have redesigned the packaging and want to run through the existing inventory?

Or... Maybe they want to really advertise the new functionality and use the TiVo stream as a selling point for the base Roamio.

Whatever the reason, the chipset used in the TiVo stream is identical to the chip used in the Roamio, so I doubt that TiVo is upgrading the stand alone unit at this point.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #40
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Because they have redesigned the packaging and want to run through the existing inventory?

Or... Maybe they want to really advertise the new functionality and use the TiVo stream as a selling point for the base Roamio.

Whatever the reason, the chipset used in the TiVo stream is identical to the chip used in the Roamio, so I doubt that TiVo is upgrading the stand alone unit at this point.
I think you might mean the TiVo Mini, not the Stream, when talking about same chipset... Maybe not. I could just be remembering an older post in some other thread incorrectly...

<remainder redacted>

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #41
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
[RANT ON]Why does every stream thread turn into an android discussion? There are threads for that discussion elsewhere.[/RANT ON]
Because it's all about them and they think if they pollute every thread with their whining, they will get what they want.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #42
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
All streaming video is not equal. TiVo is transcoding protected content procured from a CableCARD. They have to use a technology that is approved by Cable Labs. Sling is exploiting the analog hole and does not have to adhere to anything.
Uh yeah, so why can't you stream CP'd channels out of home then, with encryption?? And why is it that the HD Homerun Prime streams all the non-CP'd stuff via DLNA using unencrypted mpeg2 and Tivo doesn't? The only channels requiring DTCP-IP are CP'd ones on the Prime, but what you're implying here is that Tivo is encrypting everything even if it's non-CP'd.

IMO this issue exists solely because Tivo is in bed with the cableCos, not because they can't do it without encryption. They could've supported Android when the Stream was released for non CP'd channels, but they chose not to.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Uh yeah, so why can't you stream CP'd channels out of home then, with encryption?? And why is it that the HD Homerun Prime streams all the non-CP'd stuff via DLNA using unencrypted mpeg2 and Tivo doesn't? The only channels requiring DTCP-IP are CP'd ones on the Prime, but what you're implying here is that Tivo is encrypting everything even if it's non-CP'd.

IMO this issue exists solely because Tivo is in bed with the cableCos, not because they can't do it without encryption. They could've supported Android when the Stream was released for non CP'd channels, but they chose not to.
What are they suppose to do use a completely different method for streaming non-protected stuff? Seriously?!? They chose HLS because it met a wide array of criteria, one of which us an encryption standard approved by Cable Labs. It is also a purposed standard, very easy to work with, and supported by all iOS devices which was their original target. If they didn't need the approval of Cable Labs then they migh have chosen a different technology. But maybe not.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #44
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I think you might mean the TiVo Mini, not the Stream, when talking about same chipset... Maybe not. I could just be remembering an older post in some other thread incorrectly...
The Roamio uses the same hardware that's inside the standalone Stream just attached to the main mobo. Even though it's inside the Roamio case it can be rebooted independently and even grabs it's own IP address from your router. That's what he meant by it using the same chipset.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #45
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Margret, when is the next blast? My thumbs are getting tired from forcing service calls.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #46
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Margret, when is the next blast? My thumbs are getting tired from forcing service calls.
Did you email Margret with the serial no. of your Stream? It's worth a try. She has responded very quickly based on other threads and posts.

Otherwise, the update could be next week or just as easily several weeks out. Think of all the wasted time on service calls...
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #47
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What are they suppose to do use a completely different method for streaming non-protected stuff? Seriously?!?
Uh yeah - don't use encryption at all, just like SD does. And SD has to comply with CableLabs too. It's not rocket science.

The bottom line is that Tivo made a business decision here because they're up the butts of their cable masters, not because they couldn't do it technically.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #48
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Now that OOH streaming is available I think I want to buy a stream. Anybody know any good place to buy from? (Discount code would be greatly appreciated!)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #49
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Now that OOH streaming is available I think I want to buy a stream. Anybody know any good place to buy from? (Discount code would be greatly appreciated!)
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508740

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #50
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Uh yeah - don't use encryption at all, just like SD does. And SD has to comply with CableLabs too. It's not rocket science.

The bottom line is that Tivo made a business decision here because they're up the butts of their cable masters, not because they couldn't do it technically.
The encryption isn't the problem, Android doesn't support unencrypted HLS either. They would need to use a completely different technology for them to support Android below 4.2, encryption or no. It's unlikely they are going to do that, which is why I think when the app comes out it's going to require 4.2+.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #51
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Amazon
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #52
dmoss

Love the download feature excited to try out new streaming

Looking for that new update.
dmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #53
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Hi all,

I don't have any way to push the Stream update to more people, but I will post here as soon another group has been updated.

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #54
noone3000

I just bought a Stream.

Am I hearing correctly that out of home streaming may not work out of the box because I have to WAIT for a software update???

How do I know when it gets the software update? Do I have to keep checking the software version??
noone3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #55
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Hi all,

I don't have any way to push the Stream update to more people, but I will post here as soon another group has been updated.

--Margret
Any updates Margaret? I'm still not able to download the new update.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #56
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone3000 View Post
I just bought a Stream.

Am I hearing correctly that out of home streaming may not work out of the box because I have to WAIT for a software update???

How do I know when it gets the software update? Do I have to keep checking the software version??
You can check:
http://<StreamIP>:49152/sysinfo

Latest software version is 19.1.3b*.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #57
Rohardi

When will OOH streaming be FULLY rolled out to all streams? What is the worst case scenario timeframe wise?
Rohardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #58
moyekj

Margret, OOH downloads seem to be badly broken, suspending every 5 minutes almost as if there is a timer. That issue is being discussed here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510953

Hopefully TiVo is aware of the problem and working on a fix? (I'm assuming the issue is the iOS software, not the Stream software).
Thanks.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #59
noone3000

I tried for about an hour to activate my new Stream and I never could get it to work before I had to leave my house again.

Plus when I checked the software version, it was not the OOO version mentioned earlier in this thread. I wonder how long until I can get the 'good' software?

In-home streaming - negative
Out of home streaming - negative

I'm 0 for 2.

On the plus side, my new Slingbox 350 is working perfectly with an excellent picture quality on an iPad 3.

I have 15 days to return this to Best Buy. I really want this to work, but somehow I don't think it will ever work as well as this Slingbox from what I have gathered from reading all the issues on this forum.
noone3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #60
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

This wait is painfully slow.