TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Warhawks

Ordered a Roamio Pro!

Hello All!

Back from my days of posting when I had my TiVo HD model 6 years ago...it is finally starting to die a slow death so I pulled the trigger on the latest model. I am very excited about getting it delivered on Monday, but will have Charter coming out on Tuesday evening to get me set up with my multistream card and take my two single streams back. I decided to have them come out and get me set up in case there are issues. I am having them install the POE filter as well.

Looking to transfer my season pass list to the new one. Anyone out there tell me how to achieve this smoothly and seamlessly?

Also, should I hook this new Roamio up Monday evening if I have time even without the cable card so I can get it fired up? Is there an advantage to doing this prior to getting the card?

Thanks for all your help!

As a side note: was going to order a few weeks ago but they couldn't do anything to save on the boxes. Called on Wednesday and they say $50 off the Plus and $100 off the Pro, I decided to jump on it w/ the lifetime service. Last one went 6 years and 2 months...hoping the same out of the next one!
Warhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
AdamNJ

If you bought direct from Tivo then it will already be setup with service and linked to your account. If you bought from a third party, then you will need to activate it on your account and ti can take up to 24 hours for everything to work.

Yes, go through the guided setup first before you insert the CableCARD.

I am new to Tivo so I can't speak from experience on moving season passes. You can do it on tivo.com, but people here recommend using a program called pytivo or kmttg (one of those two, I forget which).

And I don't mean to scare you, but I am not sure that I have seen any reports of a Charter user having all 6 tuners working. There is a way to lower the # of tuners Roamio tries using though as a workaround if you have CC firmware issues. You'll still be better off then with the Tivo HD. I would recommend spending some time searching for threads in this forum that mention Charter. Also check http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
mattack

How is your Tivo HD dying? Does it have lifetime? It may be worth selling.

You can transfer SPs at tivo's web site, but IIRC, you still can't move autorecording wishlists.

kmttg can move BOTH of them IIRC.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Warhawks

Purchased through Tivo directly so it will be ready to go out of the box.

My HD has a lifetime pass. I put a Seagate 500 gb drive (I think) in it at time of purchase so I may have the original somewhere I could drop in before selling. Symptoms of death include stuttering, random reboots even when recording shows, pausing and not moving unless changing channel and returning back to it manually. Those are the primary ones. You think I can resell? How do I transfer it to someone else that might buy it on ebay, perhaps?

So...literally plug it in, put my ethernet cord to it and plug into TV via HDMI and let it set up that night and do a few updates during the day? It will still function without cable card?

What is kmttg or iirc?

Sorry for the lame knowledge...I sincerely appreciate all your help.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawks View Post
So...literally plug it in, put my ethernet cord to it and plug into TV via HDMI and let it set up that night and do a few updates during the day? It will still function without cable card?
Yes

Quote:
What is kmttg or iirc?
kmttg = http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/

iirc = If I Recall Correctly (just a saying, not a program)

Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
bkrodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
And I don't mean to scare you, but I am not sure that I have seen any reports of a Charter user having all 6 tuners working. There is a way to lower the # of tuners Roamio tries using though as a workaround if you have CC firmware issues. You'll still be better off then with the Tivo HD. I would recommend spending some time searching for threads in this forum that mention Charter. Also check http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973
You have now...I'm having no issues with 6 tuners here in St. Louis with Charter.
bkrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers View Post
You have now...I'm having no issues with 6 tuners here in St. Louis with Charter.
What brand CC are you using? Other Charter customers with SA/Cisco card say they have old firmware.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #8
bkrodgers

It's a Moto. I've had it for a long time...I believe it's still the one I got when I first got my Tivo HD in 2007.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. I think this one was swapped in a few years ago when I had an issue. Either way though, I believe I've always had Moto gear.
bkrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
markp99
TakoKichi

Warhawks, you are gonna LOVE IT!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Goober96

Quote:
I'm in Upstate South Carolina on Charter with all 6 tuners working fine.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
mr_smits

Quote:
If you bought direct from Tivo then it will already be setup with service and linked to your account. If you bought from a third party, then you will need to activate it on your account and ti can take up to 24 hours for everything to work.

Yes, go through the guided setup first before you insert the CableCARD.

I am new to Tivo so I can't speak from experience on moving season passes. You can do it on tivo.com, but people here recommend using a program called pytivo or kmttg (one of those two, I forget which).

Another Charter user here with Roamio and no problems using 6 tuners.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
Warhawks

Sounds like it is going to be a non-issue with the Charter card. That's good news.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
tim1724

Some Charter franchises use Motorola equipment and others use Cisco/Scientific Atlanta.

The ones that use Cisco tend to use VERY old firmware on their cablecards (e.g., PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1601) which only supports 5 tuners reliably. (They'll sometimes appear to handle 6 tuners at first, but will randomly fail to tune channels after a few days.)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Warhawks

I am all hooked up and ready to rock.

Seems to have all tuners working and life is good. The season pass manager on tivo.com sucks balls and I was not comfortable using the program mentioned above so I entered a bunch of them manually. Oh well.

Charter was freakin' awesome though. They thoroughly tested all my lines and rooms and also said that the cable running from the service box outside to my house was due for an upgrade so they put in a work order to run new cable which will allow for less Db drop over the distance run. Should make for better service with both internet and TV in the future.

Just have to fine tune my Harmony One remote so my touch buttons are all aligned and a few of the hard buttons.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
g808

Glad you're up and running. Enjoy! My Roamio Pro should arrive next Tues, and hope setup goes smoothly.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
My HD has a lifetime pass. I put a Seagate 500 gb drive (I think) in it at time of purchase so I may have the original somewhere I could drop in before selling. Symptoms of death include stuttering, random reboots even when recording shows, pausing and not moving unless changing channel and returning back to it manually. Those are the primary ones. You think I can resell? How do I transfer it to someone else that might buy it on ebay, perhaps?
Yes, sounds like a bad hard drive. Easily fixable.. If you put the original drive in and live on it for a few days to make sure it now works, then you could sell on eBay for likely at least $200.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Warhawks

mattack, that's what I will do! Minus the run it for a few days because the cable cards for it went with the Charter guy when he brought me the multistream card....