TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
mikebaratta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Question Tivo Mini in child's room?

Hi,

I'm thinking about putting a Tivo Mini in my kids' room, but I have a few questions to those who have one (didn't see these in the user guide):
  1. Can you configure the main tivo to not ever give a specific mini a tuner for live tv?
  2. Can you set parental controls on the mini itself, separate from the main tivo?
  3. Can you enable/disable video providers on the mini itself, separate from the main tivo?
  4. Can you use pytivo with the mini? (presumably, you would only be able to transfer items to/from the main tivo to watch via the mini)

I think I have one or two more, but they are slipping my mind.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
__________________
TiVo Premiere -> Xbox One
TiVo Premiere -> Logitech Revue
Roku XD
Vizio Co-Star

Retired
Sony TiVo S1
TiVo Series 2
TiVo HD

Last edited by mikebaratta : 11-08-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: remembered another question
mikebaratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaratta View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking about putting a Tivo Mini in my kids' room, but I have a few questions to those who have one (didn't see these in the user guide):
  1. Can you configure the main tivo to not ever give a specific mini a tuner for live tv?
  2. Can you set parental controls on the mini itself, separate from the main tivo?
  3. Can you enable/disable video providers on the mini itself, separate from the main tivo?
  4. Can you use pytivo with the mini? (presumably, you would only be able to transfer items to/from the main tivo to watch via the mini)

I think I have one or two more, but they are slipping my mind.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
The answer to all of your questions is no. If TiVo ever implements profiles then a logical step would be to have a profile for each Mini to control what it can do. If you put a Mini in a child's room not only can they get all channels that are in the guide from the main TiVo, they can also delete and watch ANY content recorded on the main TiVo.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
mikebaratta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
The answer to all of your questions is no. If TiVo ever implements profiles then a logical step would be to have a profile for each Mini to control what it can do. If you put a Mini in a child's room not only can they get all channels that are in the guide from the main TiVo, they can also delete and watch ANY content recorded on the main TiVo.
OK thanks. I am still open to this because my children are young enough that they will not try to watch something not age appropriate, because it is either boring, scary or yucky.

Was just hoping to avoid accidental viewings.

Thanks again
__________________
TiVo Premiere -> Xbox One
TiVo Premiere -> Logitech Revue
Roku XD
Vizio Co-Star

Retired
Sony TiVo S1
TiVo Series 2
TiVo HD
mikebaratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
The answer to all of your questions is no. If TiVo ever implements profiles then a logical step would be to have a profile for each Mini to control what it can do. If you put a Mini in a child's room not only can they get all channels that are in the guide from the main TiVo, they can also delete and watch ANY content recorded on the main TiVo.
This is INCORRECT!

Parental Controls work fine on the Mini and are completely separate from the host Parental Control. They protect viewing of controlled content, whether live-tv or recorded. This should be enough for a young child's TV viewing.

I agree parental controls do not protect against deletion of shows. There is no current way to guard the host DVR against malicious (or accidental) deletion or additions of shows, SPs, etc. There is also no current way to ban video providers on the Mini - I hope TiVo changes this.
__________________
CrispyCritter
TiVo Roamio:Felix TiVo Premiere:Bob TiVo XL4:Fred TiVo HDXL:Sharon TiVoHD:Susan
CrispyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,883
Interesting. I admit to being mistaken. In all my travels through the Mini menus I had not seen the parental controls but you are right, they are there.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
mikebaratta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Thanks guys. This may get awfully expensive for me now. May be inclined to get two extra minis
__________________
TiVo Premiere -> Xbox One
TiVo Premiere -> Logitech Revue
Roku XD
Vizio Co-Star

Retired
Sony TiVo S1
TiVo Series 2
TiVo HD

Last edited by mikebaratta : 11-08-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
mikebaratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
2trill4925
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
I purchased a Mini for that exact reason. It serves it's purpose well minus the auto timeout. I used to just change the channel to Nickelodeon and confiscate the remote. After going through growing pains, my toddlers figured out how to switch back to live TV. Nowadays, I'll pop back in periodically to make sure things are kosher and if there is a timeout I generally tell them to take a break from the TV.

I've been successful with using a dedicated wireless bridge on the Mini (stable on 2.4/5GHz). I would advise a stock router on the host. I'll check the menus, but I remember seeing the option to reserve a tuner with no live TV before the latest update.

I forgot to add that this only applies as a proven concept with SD.

Last edited by 2trill4925 : 11-09-2013 at 03:52 PM.
2trill4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!
 
Hot4Bo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 3,104
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebaratta View Post
OK thanks. I am still open to this because my children are young enough that they will not try to watch something not age appropriate, because it is either boring, scary or yucky.

Was just hoping to avoid accidental viewings.

Thanks again
As an aside, this made me laugh because my 8-year-old nephew is always asking if something is appropriate for him to watch.
__________________
Stacey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hot4Bo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
mikebaratta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot4Bo View Post
As an aside, this made me laugh because my 8-year-old nephew is always asking if something is appropriate for him to watch.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2trill4925 View Post
I purchased a Mini for that exact reason. It serves it's purpose well minus the auto timeout. I used to just change the channel to Nickelodeon and confiscate the remote. After going through growing pains, my toddlers figured out how to switch back to live TV. Nowadays, I'll pop back in periodically to make sure things are kosher and if there is a timeout I generally tell them to take a break from the TV.

I've been successful with using a dedicated wireless bridge on the Mini (stable on 2.4/5GHz). I would advise a stock router on the host. I'll check the menus, but I remember seeing the option to reserve a tuner with no live TV before the latest update.

I forgot to add that this only applies as a proven concept with SD.
Thanks, I may go ahead with this.
__________________
TiVo Premiere -> Xbox One
TiVo Premiere -> Logitech Revue
Roku XD
Vizio Co-Star

Retired
Sony TiVo S1
TiVo Series 2
TiVo HD
mikebaratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |