TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #31
Agatha Mystery

Captain Vietnam - interesting episode. They essentially allowed people to gain instruction for this one. However, for some reason, I seem to recall hearing once that Vietnamese food had French influences, but I must be remembering wrong. Must be another that I'm thinking of.

I think the tomato based idea should have been put Travis higher on the chopping block. I'm guessing they decided that poor shrimp cooking skill was a worse crime than cooking a food that wasn't true to form.

Interestingly enough, there seem to be fewer immunity challenges.

Since this is my thread, I'm including spoilers for Last Chance Kitchen. I'm surprised they waited as long to start it. I assume that Tom didn't want to slog as hard. It gave him a break.

Bret still gets to go home. Cracked me up. I guess cooking the fish was too much for him. He seems to let his ego get in the way. He does too little and thinks that it makes him awesome. He bragged about having all sorts of extra time during the regular show. Going raw meant that his extra stuff needed to be awesome. I don't understand white chocolate with corn either. That just sounds gross. And did anyone notice that he tasted his food with his bare finger, and then put that finger in again, and tasted it one more time? What happened to tasting spoons? I'm noticing more and more of that this season where people are not using tasting spoons. It really bugs me. It tells me that they are all so used to doing it that it is considered normal in a regular kitchen. It also explains how people get food poisoning so easily. They catch all sorts of stuff from the people who prepare their food.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Hottie Australian girl is gone.

That's what you get for abusing the shrimps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #33
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
However, for some reason, I seem to recall hearing once that Vietnamese food had French influences, but I must be remembering wrong. Must be another that I'm thinking of.
You've got it right. Vietnam was once a French colony.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #34
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
You've got it right. Vietnam was once a French colony.
It just seems that that piece of information was completely lost. It's something you usually hear. However, none of their dishes seemed to be inspired by French cooking at all. It would have been a way to help the more classicly trained chefs.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

Go watch Last Chance Kitchen. Tom ribs her about the shrimps.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #36
cherry ghost

Quote:
It just seems that that piece of information was completely lost. It's something you usually hear. However, none of their dishes seemed to be inspired by French cooking at all. It would have been a way to help the more classicly trained chefs.
I think most of the influences date back so far that it be unknown to some of the contestants. However, I would have at least expected the judges to bring it up, especially at the bakery.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #37
Bob Coxner

Quote:
I actually liked this challenge. Really, it's the way a lot of chefs come up with the dishes they liked to serve. Re-creating something they had elsewhere. And of course, if you go and work for some one else instead of opening your own place, you are gonna have to do a lot of it anyway.

Just wish Paul Prudhome would have had a little more to say.
I had to check Wikipedia to see if Prudhomme had suffered a stroke or something. It was either that or he was on a large dose of Oxycontin.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #38
sharkster

Quote:

I thought of you last night, when I watched and she got the ax.

I just knew that Braggy McBraggerson with all the Viet Nam experience was not going to do well. He just wouldn't listen to anybody and fancied himself the one person with all the superior VN experience. I actually thought he was the one who was going to be cut.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #39
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I had to check Wikipedia to see if Prudhomme had suffered a stroke or something. It was either that or he was on a large dose of Oxycontin.
He used to use a little electric scooter to get around. But he was walking in the show. I thought maybe he was doing better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #40
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I thought of you last night, when I watched and she got the ax.

I just knew that Braggy McBraggerson with all the Viet Nam experience was not going to do well. He just wouldn't listen to anybody and fancied himself the one person with all the superior VN experience. I actually thought he was the one who was going to be cut.

That's always some good foreshadowing. Some guy that's an "expert" in a specific cuisine and goes on and on about it. He may be the one to get sent packing his knives.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #41
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Good heavens, the in-episode polls are getting annoying. The "Did the right person go home?" near the end was fine. Now we're seeing crap like "Which is the best traditional campfire food?" and "On a 1-10 scale: How great is Besh's hair?" Really? Ugh.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #42
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Good heavens, the in-episode polls are getting annoying. The "Did the right person go home?" near the end was fine. Now we're seeing crap like "Which is the best traditional campfire food?" and "On a 1-10 scale: How great is Besh's hair?" Really? Ugh.
I have a thing about bugs on the screen anyway, but when they take up half the real estate with unnecessary cr@p like that, it almost makes me wast to stop watching!

Also, am I the only one who thinks that allowing the cheftestants to watch some of the judging process takes away from the show?
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #43
paracelsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Also, am I the only one who thinks that allowing the cheftestants to watch some of the judging process takes away from the show?
I think it distracts the contestants from creating their own drama in the stew room. There's been some classic infighting, meltdowns, etc. from not knowing what was going on in the judges room - that's less now.
paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #44
Agatha Mystery

The voting bugs annoy me. Letting them watch a snipped of the judging looks bigger than it probably is. It's most likely just the only part that we see. However, some of the things that the stew room has gotten people to do has been pretty epic. This group doesn't seem to be as mean to each other as other groups. The only complaints about the other chefs seem to be in the confessional and not at each other in the stew room. Maybe that it's just this particular group of chefs and not the way the stew room gets to see what is going on.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #45
Cainebj

All the on air interactive voting stuff on all the Bravo shows are stupid and I do my best to tune them out.

Personally, I like watching them watch what the judges are saying.

You all may be right it is taking away from their not knowing what is going on and then acting out but I still kinda like it.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #46
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Philadelphia brand cream cheese in every single dish?

oy...

Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #47
Azlen

The voting stuff is Bravo's attempt to get viewers to watch it live rather than later.
Interactivity is one way to do that but things like voting on hair is a ridiculous approach.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #48
cherry ghost

Who won Last Chance Kitchen?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #49
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Philadelphia brand cream cheese in every single dish?
I'm pretty sure a few of those cooks will never want to look at a block of cream cheese ever again.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #50
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I agree - there's no drama. In reality, you knew who was at the top or at the bottom based on the Judge's Table chit-chat already, but the chefs didn't. That relief or sometimes pain when they took the losers first, was fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
The voting stuff is Bravo's attempt to get viewers to watch it live rather than later.
Interactivity is one way to do that but things like voting on hair is a ridiculous approach.
I have never watched the show live in all the time it's been on. This silliness isn't going to make it happen. Yes, I am asleep when it airs, so I may not be their prime demo, but I hate all the social media crap they (and other shows) push.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #51
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
I'm pretty sure a few of those cooks will never want to look at a block of cream cheese ever again.
I would have been screwed. The only things I have cooked with cream cheese is cheesecake and nacho dip. I used to like to use it as an omelet filling, but haven't done that in a while. Good, but very rich.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #52
Agatha Mystery

Soze, you're right. They know who is the winner when they go in.

I think the producers are trying to make the show less formulaic, so they are playing around with it. The camera closeups last season with the 'spinning' action prior to settling on the face was distracting. They still do it, but not as bad as they had before.

And I never watch the show live.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #53
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

...and then they wonder why people find 'other means' to watch TV! Between the polls and the Toyota ads, you have to peek at the corner of the screen to watch the actual show!

It's the same when they're trying to promote a new show (on cable AND the networks) and that takes up a large chuck of screen real estate. Possibly the most pointless that I've has to be either the one saying "You're watching...". I KNOW I AM! ...or even the "coming up next, an encore presentation of the show you're watching right now".
Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #54
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

My "favorite" is "This super-sized episode continues NEXT!"

Great! I was just about to shut my TV off and wonder what happened.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #55
Big Deficit
Happy now?

No restaurant wars posts?

What are the odds that possibly the worst restaurant team of all time would compete against possibly the best? Maybe we should ask the Chase Sapphire VIP's who get double points when they poop in gold plated toilets (that was the in show ad, wasn't it?)?

**Note to producers- Increasingly over the top ridiculous in show promotions like this will kill the show. There's a way to do product placement and I don't think this is it.**

Glad to see Sara go. Her 50's housewife image and the whole color coordinated do-rag thing was pissing me off...it shouldn't, but it did. She's a very competent chef and probably is effective in the kitchen, but from what I saw, she must be a horrible person to work for.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #56
sharkster

I just watched the Restaurant Wars episode the other day. Well, I use the term 'watched' loosely. I've always watched Top Chef and liked it very much, but I find that I'm really bored with this group. This season I tend to turn the show on and find myself walking away to do dishes or something, before I even realize I've left with the show playing. Maybe it's just me.

I did come back in time to see the critiques, judging, and the booting of the scarf lady. I'm with you, Big, about the scarf thing. Something like that is ok in small doses but when they do it into the ground I find it profoundly annoying. It reminds me of the Minnie Mouse giant bow girl from Master Chef Junior. Do it, if you dig it, but not every freaking day. Variety is good.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #57
Agatha Mystery

I didn't enjoy restaurant wars this season. The losing team had the best chefs on it but no cohesiveness. The fact that they had no menu was a glaring sign.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #58
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
I didn't enjoy restaurant wars this season. The losing team had the best chefs on it but no cohesiveness. The fact that they had no menu was a glaring sign.
I thought they had a menu but "Rosie the Riveter" forgot to deliver them to the table.

I felt bad for the chefs on the "Found" team but was happy to see that sour puss get eliminated. Her attitude didn't sit well with me. Especially after she failed to describe any dish except her own. That was lame!

If they'd have eliminated the head chef guy (grumpy pants) I'd have been OK with that too.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #59
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the very best choice was made in who to get rid of. "Rosie" or whatever her name is was just horrible and just brought the whole team down. Wish she had been gone weeks and weeks ago. Or, wait, maybe never had even been there this season.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #60
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
I thought they had a menu but "Rosie the Riveter" forgot to deliver them to the table.

I felt bad for the chefs on the "Found" team but was happy to see that sour puss get eliminated. Her attitude didn't sit well with me. Especially after she failed to describe any dish except her own. That was lame!

If they'd have eliminated the head chef guy (grumpy pants) I'd have been OK with that too.
I meant that they didn't choose what to cook until AFTER they got their plates and silverware, etc. They didn't put forth a cohesive plan for the meal until later.