TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
huntrdog

Palm Beach County FL Comcast Roamio issues

I purchased my Roamio Plus in mid-September and had many problems with channels intermittently dropping out, resulting in an error "v58". TiVo technical support informed me that this was often the case for South Florida Comcast customers, as the cablecard firmware needs to be upgraded, system wide, to a version higher than 1.5.2. They had no timetable as to when this might occur. Ready to send my new Tivo back for a refund, the Comcast tech (who had already been scheduled) called, and told me he'd had luck with Premier owners encountering problems, by upgrading the firmware to their newest version (1.5.2-FP2401), which was higher than what was on my cablecard.

I kept the appointment, and after the upgrade and a hard reboot of the Roamio, things were working fine, with all six tuners.

As of 10/30/13, however, the vast majority of channels (both SD, HD, and Pay) are not available and display the v58 error. I've had Comcast un-pair and re-pair the card several times, and refresh the signal, without resolution. TiVo tech support also spent about 45 minutes with me, checking signal strength, noise, and many other issues, determining my Roamio is working fine.

I spoke to the Comcast tech who did the Firmware upgrade for me back in September, and he told me he's heard from one other Roamio owner in the area who also is suddenly having problems. He doesn't believe that whatever has happened at Comcast has affected Premiere owners.
huntrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
tomhorsley

I'm in Delray Beach and the only word I get is "Oh, you'll get the new firmware when we roll out our improved infrastructure" (the infrastructure that has gone from "summer" to "october" to "not scheduled" to "early 2014" :-). I sure can't believe the existing infrastructure is unable to talk to newer firmware. I wish I could get them to give me new firmware without waiting for the eternally delayed new infrastructure.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
HDRyder9

If they won't give you the current firmware. Demand a new cable card. The 1.5.2 firmware is defective. You are within your rights to demand a fix, whether it's an upgrade or a new cable card.

There is an extreme shortage of cable cards in my part of Florida. The techs tell me that sometimes they're sent out on a cable card install and there are no cable cards in the "warehouse" to take to a customer.

Oddly, the new Xfinity/Cisco cable boxes use cable cards. Maybe you can ask for a cable box, grab the card and then return the box with your old cable card. It sure sounds like Comcast is giving you the runaround.
HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
grey ghost

The same v58 problems are currently plaguing me and my Roamio Plus using Jackson MS Comcast and a similar version Cisco card. Ordered it the first day they were available and got it the first week. For 2 months I had great service with few problems.

About 3 weeks ago, I started experiencing many channels displaying v58. Comcast sent a refresh signal and it worked for another week. Last Friday, I experienced the same problems and replaced the card(not once, but twice with same version Cisco card). Tonight, everything failed again and I'm frustrated beyond belief!

I just want to watch all the TV channels I pay for without all this hassle. Surely there has got to be a something that can be done without having to miss tapings and miss channels.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
DigitalDawn

I'm in Jupiter. Went through about 8-10 cable cards on an XL4 over 14 months. Drove me nuts for a long while. I finally decided to replace my 15 year old RF distribution amp. That helped with the unpairing problem. But I was still having tuning issues with both the XL4 and the new Roamio. I would try to tune to a channel and get nothing. Try again, nothing, then a couple of minutes later, it would tune. I would lose some recordings due to "no signal."

The good news is that the "no signal" issue has been much better since the last TiVo update. I'm still pretty sure that Comcast is to blame for most of the problems. Their cable card firmware is ancient, and most of their cards are in really bad shape.

So, until Comcast updates the firmware on the cards (supposedly early '14), you will need to set your Roamio's to 4 tuners to ensure that your recordings will occur as planned.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Edvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrdog View Post
He doesn't believe that whatever has happened at Comcast has affected Premiere owners.
I have a Tivo Premier in West Palm Beach and am having this issue constantly, especially with local HD channels. The rep at the office said it is an issue with the card being unable to communicate back to their servers. Supposedly they implemented an update on the server side that pings the cards and if there is no reply it deauthorizes some channels. I'm not sure that makes sense because often the channels comeback without me having to call in to do a hit on the card.

Whetever it is, it is very frustrating.
Edvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
huntrdog

I gave up. Sent the Roamio back to TiVo. Because it's an ongoing unresolved issue with Cisco/Comcast/Tivo, they agreed to accept a return even though I was past the 30-day guarantee period.

I'd appreciate it if, when the 1.5.3 firmware is released, that someone post it on this thread.
huntrdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
nws alpine

I just ordered the Roamio and Mini. First time TiVo user so looks like I will be having some issues for an unknown time. I'm located in Boca so on the sa/cisco network. Down in Fort Lauderdale where I use to live it was Motorola and seems like even Xfinity On Demand is supported there. Going on Sat to grab a cable card and will hold onto one box just incase (currently have 3 HD dvrs). The Roamio will save me $60+ per month.

Hopefully it's tolerable but if not then it will have to go back
nws alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
I just ordered the Roamio and Mini. First time TiVo user so looks like I will be having some issues for an unknown time. I'm located in Boca so on the sa/cisco network. Down in Fort Lauderdale where I use to live it was Motorola and seems like even Xfinity On Demand is supported there. Going on Sat to grab a cable card and will hold onto one box just incase (currently have 3 HD dvrs). The Roamio will save me $60+ per month.

Hopefully it's tolerable but if not then it will have to go back
We switched from Comcast STBs to TiVo about a month and do not regret the decision.

I don't know if your area will be different than here in Maryland -- but I went though four CableCards to get two working ones. (They use Motorola cards here in Maryland.) You might want to ask for two or three -- then later take back the ones you don't need.

Last edited by DeltaOne : 11-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
We switched from Comcast STBs to TiVo about a month and do not regret the decision.

I don't know if your area will be different than here in Maryland -- but I went though four CableCards to get two working ones. (They use Motorola cards here in Maryland.) You might want to ask for two or three -- then later take back the ones you don't need.
I know Tivo is going to be awesome but this thread is specifically about the Palm Beach County area. It seems as though we are in a waiting game for a system update before Comcast will update the CC firmware. We are on SA/Cisco network here which is the problem.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
DigitalDawn

Ever since this past Tuesday (Nov. 5), I have had major "unpairing" problems with both my XL4 and especially my Roamio Pro. Had a tech come out and he was here for three hours. Changed a bunch of coaxial ends, removed my distribution amp, etc. As fast as he, and the head-end paired the cards, they would lose pairing a few moments later. Finally, they had the head-end update the cards to 1.5.2 2401 -- the latest FW they had. And it seemed to solve the problems. That is until I woke up this morning with the same "unpairing."

I tried the Comcast cable-card number, they did a re-pair and it lasted about 5 minutes. I finally managed to get a Comcast supervisor on the phone and he told me that many other Comcast TiVo owners in Palm Beach county have been having the same problems since Tuesday and they are working to figure out how to fix it.

The odd part about this is that my Roamio and XL4 were working very well for the prior couple of weeks. Something at Comcast PBC must have changed. I did tell him about V. 1.5.3 1101. Don't know what else to do.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
nws alpine

Any contact info you can PM me for that supervisor so I can be added to the "list" of the subscribers waiting for them to fix their end and update to 1.5.3+.

Just got my second card after they messed up the first one and the CC hotline couldn't even attempt to activate. The second card failed twice now and running 1.5.2 1401.

I can only get a few of the local channels and V58 on everything else. Should be getting digital preferred HD w/HBO.

Is there any grounds for FCC complaints as they effectively have shut off service for CC users.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
aridon

Please post when this gets resolved there are people watching this thread before jumping back into a TiVo with Comcast in wpb.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
danterner
Not it!

TiVo Premiere in Greenacres, reporting in. Started having problems last week, pretty much as described.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
DigitalDawn

If you are having the same issues in Palm Beach county please send an email to the following address, as I heard back from them and they indicated that they would definitely address the problem.

We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com

Describe the symptoms, and give them your service address and phone number.

If this isn't fixed within a reasonable amount of time, I plan on going up the ladder.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
DigitalDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nws alpine View Post
Any contact info you can PM me for that supervisor so I can be added to the "list" of the subscribers waiting for them to fix their end and update to 1.5.3+.

Just got my second card after they messed up the first one and the CC hotline couldn't even attempt to activate. The second card failed twice now and running 1.5.2 1401.

I can only get a few of the local channels and V58 on everything else. Should be getting digital preferred HD w/HBO.

Is there any grounds for FCC complaints as they effectively have shut off service for CC users.
Same problems here in Jupiter. It seems as if some idiot in engineering flipped the wrong switch. Send an email to the address in my previous post. I'll report back on Tuesday or Wednesday with any info.

Actually, what was kind of amusing was after the tech updated my cards to 2401, he said, "now you'll have 5 tuners." I said, "I'll be happy with 4 that work."

P.S. Must be losing my mind, as I was actually considering an X1 if they couldn't fix this. But then I came to my senses. :-)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
nws alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
Same problems here in Jupiter. It seems as if some idiot in engineering flipped the wrong switch. Send an email to the address in my previous post. I'll report back on Tuesday or Wednesday with any info.

Actually, what was kind of amusing was after the tech updated my cards to 2401, he said, "now you'll have 5 tuners." I said, "I'll be happy with 4 that work."

P.S. Must be losing my mind, as I was actually considering an X1 if they couldn't fix this. But then I came to my senses. :-)
I will send them an email. Not going to waste my time having a tech sent out knowing there is no resolution.

Even with the basic locals and subscribing to Netflix I love the Roamio and Mini setup. The GF is much happier than the old setup with HD DVRs, Plex media server, and Apple TVs. We save a ton of heat/power in the media closet removing 3 boxes and about $60-70+ per month as we only need 1 M-card. X1 looks good from the press releases but all the issues has turned me away. I never considered Tivo in the past until the Roamio.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #18
DigitalDawn

Ok folks, I'm pretty sure I have an answer to the PBC issues. Have Comcast update your cable card to 1.5.2. 2401. But here's the catch, after the update you need to reboot your Roamio or Premiere to apply the changes.

If your technician or cable-card phone support agent asked you to pull your cable card, you will need to re-set your TiVo back to 4 tuners, as pulling the card resets the box back to 6 tuners.

From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Channels > Channel List

While viewing the Channel List screen, enter the following number sequences on your Roamio remote control to set the maximum number of usable tuners:

88634 (the Roamio will use four tuners)

Afterwards, reboot your TiVo.

That should do it. I have all channels on 4 tuners working for the past 36 hours or so. I have not yet tried the 88635 code for 5 tuner operation. Let us know if this solves your problem.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Tashun

Quote:
That should do it. I have all channels on 4 tuners working for the past 36 hours or so. I have not yet tried the 88635 code for 5 tuner operation. Let us know if this solves your problem.
In Boca area and have been dealing with this issue for awhile now. 5 tuners are working with the 88635 code and SA .2401 firmware. It took a long time to get to this point and many hours on the phone. I finally got some answers from Comcast after emailing the we_can_help@cable.comcast.com people. By somewhere I mean an answer as to when we can expect the updated firmware for Cisco Cable Cards, which is early 2014. Hopefully they update to the latest version!

I have gone through the main coax cable being repaired from the node to the pedestal, from the pedestal to the house. Comcast has also come in and replaced several barrels and F connectors throughout (which removed a lot of noise from the ingress signal, funny how 4-5 other Comcast technicians never caught this prior to it being repaired), and updated my amplifier.

I could continue this rant, but the short story is that 5 tuners works, but I still occasionally have to call in activation because I lose premium channels, as has been the case for the past 3-4 years.
Tashun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
jaj2276

All of you could have saved a lot of initial frustration if you had read the thread titled "Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized" (it's 20+ pages at this point). While I appreciate that this thread is specific to Palm Beach Count, FL, the issues are national.

Basically the firmware that works for Cisco/SA cards is 1.5.3.1101. Some people have had luck running earlier versions of the firmware and 5 tuners (88635 on Channel List followed by a Tivo Reboot) but even this is spotty.

For those that want Tivos, I suggest buying a Roamio, setting it to use 4 tuners while still on the bad cablecards, and then pester Comcast for a resolution. I have spoken both to the national and local Comcast contact. They are aware of the issue (heck, that's a win in my book!) and expect to have a roll-out of the 1.5.3.1101 (or some other version that allows 6 tuners) in 1Q of 2014. However, the more people that pester them, the earlier it will be.
jaj2276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaj2276 View Post
All of you could have saved a lot of initial frustration if you had read the thread titled "Tuners 5 and 6 Not Authorized" (it's 20+ pages at this point). While I appreciate that this thread is specific to Palm Beach Count, FL, the issues are national.
While I agree with your other advice (report and pester), I think there's a good chance that the part above is wrong. There are multiple causes of cablecards not behaving well. As well as the general national problem, Comcast in Florida made changes in their network that directly caused TiVos more serious problems than elsewhere. That was pretty clear from the initial reports here and has been acknowledged by Comcast in Florida.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
DigitalDawn

+1

I have 4 tuners on my XL4, and have been set to use only 4 tuners on the Roamio from the very beginning. Something changed at the Comcast head-end that caused even more issues than usual. I'm hoping that we get 1.5.3 1101, but I'm also not holding my breath.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
nws alpine

Yes this is a different issue than just the v58 tuner issue. There were changes made at the headend that effectively disables all cablecards from working at all. They are unable to stage and we get no channels.

I sent the corporate care an email too so hopefully they respond with a resolution soon. I will file an FCC complaint too.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
aridon

I spoke with someone in sales today and I asked about the new X2 dvr. She said the system here wasn't ready for it and they were expecting to have the upgrades done by 1q of 2014. I certainly hope that isn't when they plan on fixing the firware issue on the cards that would be a long time to wait.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
jrtroo
User

I would hope all of you are filing complaints and asking for service credits.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
joanzen

Wow! I love having a thread specifically for my area! I'm in Boynton Beach and misery loves company! I have three TiVos; a Series 3, TiVo HD, and Premiere. I'm not sure exactly when the problem described started, but it's definitely been happening regularly (pretty much daily) within the past couple of months or so. It's like my cablecards just lose their memory of what they're supposed to authorize. I can't even tell you how many times I go to watch a recording only to find there's nothing there because the TiVo couldn't tune the channel. This is happening across all three TiVos and I've had the oldest machine since 2006, so I'm skeptical of the Comcast reps whose response is various forms of "Oh it's a TiVo problem". There's no rhyme nor reason to the problem either. Sometimes it's my local channels that don't show up (431,432,433,434,435) and sometimes it's other HD channels. I can call the Comcast cablecard number and they'll un-pair/re-pair the card or send a 'hit' and everything magically works again. It's an incredibly frustrating situation.

My cablecard information:

S3 - Cablecard 1 - H/W Model:0800 Ver:0012 OS Ver:1.04.01 (Nov 11, 2006, 11:20:34)
Cablecard 2 - H/W Model:0600 Ver:0010 OS Build:2.3.149s2 (Mon May 2, 2005, 1:28:42PM EDT)
HD - H/W Model:0800 Ver:0012 OS Ver:01.01.10P3.1 (Jun 3, 2007, 16:58:34)
Premiere - H/W Model:0600 Ver:0010 OS Ver:2.3.149s2 (Mon May 2 2005 1:28:42 PM EST)

Last edited by joanzen : 11-14-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Add additional information
joanzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
nws alpine

Quote:
Ok folks, I'm pretty sure I have an answer to the PBC issues. Have Comcast update your cable card to 1.5.2. 2401. But here's the catch, after the update you need to reboot your Roamio or Premiere to apply the changes.

If your technician or cable-card phone support agent asked you to pull your cable card, you will need to re-set your TiVo back to 4 tuners, as pulling the card resets the box back to 6 tuners.

From TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Settings > Channels > Channel List

While viewing the Channel List screen, enter the following number sequences on your Roamio remote control to set the maximum number of usable tuners:

88634 (the Roamio will use four tuners)

Afterwards, reboot your TiVo.

How did you get them to update your firmware to .2410? Was this through the cablecard hotline or a local tech? I'm still on 1401. I tried the 4 tuner method a few days ago and no luck. Was still unable to get my card staged properly. I will try again tonight incase anything changed. Really don't want to miss the football game tonight.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzen View Post
S3 - Cablecard 1 - H/W Model:0800 Ver:0012 OS Ver:1.04.01 (Nov 11, 2006, 11:20:34)
Cablecard 2 - H/W Model:0600 Ver:0010 OS Build:2.3.149s2 (Mon May 2, 2005, 1:28:42PM EDT)
HD - H/W Model:0800 Ver:0012 OS Ver:01.01.10P3.1 (Jun 3, 2007, 16:58:34)
Premiere - H/W Model:0600 Ver:0010 OS Ver:2.3.149s2 (Mon May 2 2005 1:28:42 PM EST)
I give up! You have me beat :-). I thought the 2007 firmware I have was the oldest, but you've got 2005 and 2006 versions. Yikes!
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
nws alpine

just tried again tonight and they still aren't able to get my card staged. No TV until 2014. Comcast is a joke.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
DigitalDawn

Great news, and the reason my CC's unpaired yesterday for the first time in 5 days.

All the complaining worked!

I can confirm that both my TiVo's have 1.5.3 1101 firmware. It was a global update for everyone in PBC yesterday. Some of the cable-cards unpaired during the process, so if you lost your channels, call the Comcast cable-card phone number ((877) 405-2298) to get re-paired.

If you have set your Roamio for 4 tuners, you may need to pull out your cable-card and reinsert it to use all 6 tuners. For some reason, entering the TiVo tuner code in the channel list didn't work for me.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to reboot your TiVo.

Let us all know how things are going!

Last edited by DigitalDawn : 11-15-2013 at 09:34 AM.