TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #241
Ultiman
Tech junkie

I would buy one of these in a second if they could stream to an AppleTV...unless I'm missing something this doesn't sound possible right now.
Ultiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #242
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultiman View Post
I would buy one of these in a second if they could stream to an AppleTV...unless I'm missing something this doesn't sound possible right now.
Not without a jailbreak (which is not possible on current ios versions yet)
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #243
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultiman View Post
You can AirPlay from an iOS device to an AppleTV if your iOS device is jail broke, but there is no way to stream directly to the AppleTV if that's what you're getting at.

If you want direct to TV streaming you're better off getting a Mini.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #244
lgerbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Android OS must have some way of encrypting local data right? So they could encrypt the keys using that.
Encryption and key management are totally different things. Sure they can just encrypt the keys, but then they need to store whatever key they used to encrypt those somewhere accessible. Most content providers consider that an inadequate solution.

iOS provides a much richer set of both cryptographic and key management infrastructure than Android. In particular iOS has a whole bunch of infrastructure built around keys fused into the system SoC that cannot be read and are used directly by hardware crypto units. This is functionally comparable to what is often called a Secure Element, which is not guaranteed to present in Android phones.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #245
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's what I was asking. If there was some sort of hardware encryption. Sounds like there is but it's optional.

Although I still don't see where this is a big issue. For streaming they could easily feed the keys to the device via HTTPS so they are never stored on the local device. And downloading only works for "copy freely" shows anyway so they're not even required to protect those. The encryption they use for .tivo files on the PC is a total joke and can be broken using the software they supply with their own TiVo Desktop software. If someone really wanted to gain access to an unprotected show that would be a much easier method.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #246
lgerbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's what I was asking. If there was some sort of hardware encryption. Sounds like there is but it's optional.
I think it would be more accurate to say that there is not, but a vendor can add it. I say that because there is no standard interface for it, even when it is present. It is worth noting that the traditional thing to do is to have the secured element in the SIM card, and nothing about JavaCard programs running on the SIM is really standardized. In fact that was one of the big hiccups with GoogleWallet, Google needed a secured element in order to do crypto that banks found acceptable, the US carriers have their own competing service (Isis), so they would not give google the required access they need (although it might be that many deployed cards might not actually have acceptable crypto, in all the Isis trials they have deployed new SIM cards to the beta users). Google countered in the Nexus 5 by using newer NFC chips that include a Secured Element that is controlled by the phone manufacturer, not the cellular carrier.

Quote:
Although I still don't see where this is a big issue. For streaming they could easily feed the keys to the device via HTTPS so they are never stored on the local device. And downloading only works for "copy freely" shows anyway so they're not even required to protect those. The encryption they use for .tivo files on the PC is a total joke and can be broken using the software they supply with their own TiVo Desktop software. If someone really wanted to gain access to an unprotected show that would be a much easier method.
Yeah, and electronic payments without a Secured Element are still way more secure than credit card numbers... The issue is not that it is more secure than what exists, it is that major revisions to extant systems do not happen often, and they are the natural place for companies to try to renegotiate their relationships and obligations.